Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hix hit it right on the head... the tribal line is decided through the father's bloodline and Jewish descent is founded through the mother's line.

Also, I believe it is Esther (someone check me on that) where the Jewish descent is decided through the mother's lineage.

Shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I noticed in Psalms 68:4 the LORD is referred to as JAH
can anyone explain what this means?

I have heard two explanations for this.

1) Yud Hey Vav Hey, pronounced Yahveh, or often mispronounced as Yahweh, is the name of G-d. The short form is Yah.

2) Yah was used as a title of respect, such as "Mr." in ancient Hebrew.

To be honest, no one really knows perfectly where this comes from, but my best guess is #1.

shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Colossians said:
All geneologies are represented in the line of the male in scripture.

There is no scripture indicating the modern Jew's assertion that Jewry is inherited through the line of the mother.

It is simply wrong.
What I appreciated when I was questioning this same Jewish halacha, was reading a post from someone here, discussing the reasoning WHY Jews are considered Jews when born to a Jewish mother. I hestitate to say too much, as I am not a Jew... but perhaps a MJ will come back to this thread and explain the reasons/origin of the halacha for you... and also make mention that the Bet Din (yes, my brothers?) has the authority from HaSHem ("G-d") to determine halacha... etc.

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Linage and sonship,

In the days of Moses there was no mechanism for conversion to be part of Israel and her covenants.One became part of Israel in the same way that Ruth did, by choosing the God of Israel to be your God, and taking up an obedient life style. This fully entitled you to access to the covenants and their provisions. Ruth a gentile beomes the great great grandmother of David, and therefore the great great grandmother of Yeshua the Messiah. Linage was determined by the fathers bloodline, in regards to tribal relations. But conversion remained a process of election or adoption until Rabbinical Judaism renovated Judaism. After that it was the mothers line that was all important. Also the process of becoming a part of Israel changed around the second temple period, whereby one had to go through a proselization to become a Jew/Israelite. This included circumcision, Torah study, and several other things.

But this pocess was not what God had in mind at all. From the beginning any Gentile could become part of Israel by choice, or by Gods election. We see this reflected in Torah where in every aspect the "Ger", Gentiles attached to Israel, were to take part in the festivals, the sacrifices, and obedience to Torah. (Yes the covenant has priviledges and responsibilities as well.) "There is one Torah and one ordinance or all Israel and widows, orphans and the foreigner who lives among you."

We see this same process at work after Messiah. The Gentiles are included, without first being circumcised, (undergoing conversion) and they receive the same provisions including the filling with the Holy Spirit. Does Gods spirit dwell in someone who he does not consider holy and chosen? Of course not! We who are saved by faith are all in the same condition as Abraham, Moses, James, Conelieus the centuion, and every other believer. We are all adopted sons. Even the Jews who are saved are in a real sense then adopted by God, when they have faith in Messiah. They are grated in, the same as the Gentiles. Their unbelief which caused them to be cut off, separated them from true sonship. Their new faith grafts them back in. But we have to understand that when we are adopted by God though our faith, we also assume the position of sons and are called to obedience as sons. That obedience was laid out for us all in Torah. Again we are the same as all those who had faith Abraham, Moses, James, cornelius the centurion, you and me! God accepts us as sons, Children of Israel, just as the mixed multitude that included many different gentiles came up out of Egypt and were all called "Children of Israel". They all stood before the mountain of God and swore to follow the commandments that are prescribed to the children of Israel. We are no different than they. We are accepted and adopted even as gentiles, by or faith and are given the responsibility of living as sons, a holy people as directed by Gods word, Torah.

CIF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gisott said:
Thank you for your reply i believe what you say is true. However,
I had gotten some information that Yah or Jah should be Jeh.
Also Yah or Jah was representative of an ancient Babylon god.
And that the word halleluyah[jah] is in praise of that god.
Do you have a reply?

If what you say is true, then you must not believe in Jesus/Yashua.
The "Yah" or "Yeh" part of "Yah-shua" or "Yeh-shua" would then mean "Ancient Babylonian god saves".

The same is true for so many names in Scripture. "Eliyah" or Elijah.
Isaiah, etc. Even Matthew whose name was "Matityahu.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Colossians said:
None have shown scripture which supports Jewry by the mother.

In the words of the immortial Andre the Giant, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Perhaps you mean to say, "Jewishness"? Or maybe "Jewish descent"?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.