Jewish calendar

Smoky

Mar 8, 2004
Tennessee
✟527.00
Faith
Baptist
My point is the difference between a solar year (365 days) and a lunar year (360 days) is 5 days per year. After 3 years you're behind only 15 days to catch up. Adding an additional month would give 30 days. Looks like you would add an additional month every 6 years instead of after 3. Kind of confusing.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Jewish "leap year", which occurs seven times in a 19-year cycle, has 13 months instead of the regular year's 12. This is so that the lunar-based Jewish year should remain aligned with the solar seasons (12 lunar months make up a total of 354 days — slightly more than 11 days short of the 365.25 day solar cycle). The added month is called "Adar I" and is inserted before the month of Adar (termed "Adar II" in leap years).

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm interested in this because if you could figure out the time of year Zechariah entered the temple to offer incense in Luke's gospel, you could figure out about the time of year Jesus was born. Does anyone know if that's really possible ?

Jesus' date of birth

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From what I have understood your calendar is inaccurate. All the priests served in the holidays but did not skip in their course due to that. There also is the issue of each course serving twice in the year for 48 weeks. But there are 52 weeks in the year. So the priests courses did not run
The Jewish "leap year", which occurs seven times in a 19-year cycle, has 13 months instead of the regular year's 12. This is so that the lunar-based Jewish year should remain aligned with the solar seasons (12 lunar months make up a total of 354 days — slightly more than 11 days short of the 365.25 day solar cycle). The added month is called "Adar I" and is inserted before the month of Adar (termed "Adar II" in leap years).
Each course served one week right?. There were 24 courses. Each course served twice in the year. The calendar you show Has course skips on holidays. This is not accurate according to what I have been told. I was told each course filled its week whether holiday of not.
Then another problem is the weeks in a year. There are 52, but only 48 weeks of service (24 x 2 = 24). Therefore the 49 th week would start the first course all over again, the 50th week the second course, 51st week the third course,etc.
By the thime the new year started the third or fourth course could have been in service. Then there were also the added months from time to time which threw things of even further. How is can it be reconciled to know? :scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums