Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus fulfilled the atonement law. No one was allowed to enter the Most Holy Place except once a year, on the Day of Atonement. The high priest Leviticus 16:
15 shall kill the goat of the sin offering that is for the people and bring its blood inside the veil and do with its blood as he did with the blood of the bull, sprinkling it over the mercy seat and in front of the mercy seat.

Fast-forward to the moment Jesus died on the cross, Matthew 27:
50 Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
51 And behold, the curtain [veil] of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split.
Jesus fulfilled the atonement law/ritual.

The Law generally demanded sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins (Hebrews 9:22). Jesus fulfilled that as the perfect sacrifice (Hebrews 10:14). Moreover, Jesus fulfilled all the sacrificial laws, Hebrews 9:
12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.

Jesus' death on the cross atoned for our sins once and for all, John 1:
29 John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Jesus foretold the destruction of the Jerusalem temple in Matthew 24:
1 Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple. 2But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”

Without the temple and the priesthood, no one can follow Moses' laws that require them. Jesus fulfilled all the temple sacrificial laws.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Without the temple and the priesthood, no one can follow Moses' laws that require them.
The Israelites were given laws that had the condition "when you enter the land..." while they were still wandering the wilderness for 40 years, so there is nothing wrong with not following laws that can't currently be followed. There were laws in regard to temple practice that weren't followed until the construction of the 1st temple, those laws were followed after its construction, those laws were not followed again after its destruction, those laws were followed again after the construction of the 2nd temple, those laws were not followed again after its destruction, and those laws will be followed again after the construction of the 3rd temple (Ezekiel 40-46), so the destruction of 2nd temple does not mean that those eternal laws have gone anywhere.

Jesus fulfilled all the temple sacrificial laws.
NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo
"to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment"

After Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law in Matthew 5:17-20, he then proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it. In Galatians 6:2, bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, so again it refers to correctly obeying it. So Jesus did fulfill sacrificial laws by correctly obeying them.

Reactions: tonychanyt

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Israelites were given laws that had the condition "when you enter the land..." while they were still wandering the wilderness for 40 years, so there is nothing wrong with not following laws that can't currently be followed.
Thanks for the balanced comments :)

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In what way are we not required to follow the example Jesus set for us? John 13:15 "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to abide in Him must walk as Jesus walked.

Strong's Greek: 3784. ὀφείλω, (opheiló) -- to owe​

3784 /opheílō ("owe") refers to being morally obligated (or legally required) to meet an obligation, i.e. to pay off a legitimate debt. [3784 (opheílō) "

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
so there is nothing wrong with not following laws that can't currently be followed.
What part of loving our neighbor are we not required to do. Even we are to love our enemy.

Matthew 22 …37Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Moses uses the word "strength", Jesus uses the word: "mind".

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What part of loving our neighbor are we not required to do. Even we are to love our enemy.

Matthew 22 …37Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Moses uses the word "strength", Jesus uses the word: "mind
Everything that God commanded in the Torah was commanded in order to teach us how to love our neighbor and/or God, which is why Jesus said that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Where did I say that?
When you said: "Without the temple and the priesthood, no one can follow Moses' laws that require them. Jesus fulfilled all the temple sacrificial laws."

I wish Jesus did it all for us. But the work He does is in us. So we are transformed and become as He is. This becomes very plain and clear when the Bible tells us about the Bride.

The Marriage of the Lamb
Revelation 19:7 Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him the glory. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready. 8 She was given clothing of fine linen, bright and pure.” For the fine linen she wears is the righteous acts of the saints.

Even the guests are to be properly dressed. The guests are the Jewish people. They are married to God, we are married to Jesus.

Matthew 22: 11 But when the king came in to see the guests, he spotted a man who was not dressed in wedding clothes. 12‘ Friend,’ he asked, ‘how did you get in here without wedding clothes?’ But the man was speechless. 13 Then the king told the servants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Matthew 25:1-13 talks about the bride that had no oil for her lamp. Even though she was a virgin.

"that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” Ephesians 5:27.

The filthy garment stands for sin, unbelief, diehard religiosity and tradition. These are the issues affecting every human being including Christians meant to be priests. When the old and dirty rages are removed, God will clothe us with a garment of righteousness and holiness.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Everything that God commanded in the Torah was commanded in order to teach us how to love our neighbor and/or God, which is why Jesus said that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them.
Yet people say we do not have to follow the commandments of God to love our neighbor. David is very clear that the law was given for our benefit because of God's love for us, He wants us to have the best.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet people say we do not have to follow the commandments of God to love our neighbor. David is very clear that the law was given for our benefit because of God's love for us, He wants us to have the best.
I said: "Without the temple and the priesthood, no one can follow Moses' laws that require them. Jesus fulfilled all the temple sacrificial laws."

You claim that I imply: Therefore, we are not required to follow the example Jesus set for us.

Can you show me the logic of that step by step?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, we are not required to follow the example Jesus set for us.
I attended a Church where the pastor preached over 365 sermons on passages that tell us about how we are to have the mind of Christ. I am amazed that you say we are not to follow the teachings of Jesus. Do you know what it means to be born again and a new creation in Christ. I am sure I could give you two or three thousand scriptures that say the opposite of what are claiming.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Please quote my words.
I did quote you when you said: "Therefore, we are not required to follow the example Jesus set for us." I have two or three thousand scriptures that say otherwise. Starting with how we are to have the mind of Christ. Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus. You would suggest we are not to have the mind of Christ.

Matthew 11:29
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Galations 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.

Some of the most poignant and powerful symbols of Christ in the Old Testament are found in the persons whose callings, speech, and actions mirrored those of the Savior.

For example: King David, known as a man after God's own heart, is seen as a type of Christ in his kingship, his role as a shepherd, and the Messianic prophecies associated with his dynasty. David talks a lot about the law of God and HIs commandments.

Psalm 119 …97 Oh, how I love Your law! All day long it is my meditation. 98 Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are always with me. 99 I have more insight than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is an arrow above a quote, click on the arrow and you can see for yourself what you said.
To be fair, he said;
I said: "Without the temple and the priesthood, no one can follow Moses' laws that require them. Jesus fulfilled all the temple sacrificial laws."

You claim that I imply: Therefore, we are not required to follow the example Jesus set for us.
Those latter words were what you were inferring that Tony was saying.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, he said;

Those latter words were what you were inferring that Tony was saying.
Thanks.

I'd think that he remembers what he himself wrote just some minutes ago.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You made a claim but you want me to find the answer for your claim?
You asked a question and I answered your question. Every verse in the Bible that talks about Love has to do with us following the example Jesus set for us. You are trying to claim we do not have to follow His example.

Following the example of Jesus is a central aspect of Christian faith and discipleship.

In Christianity, believers are called to imitate Jesus and follow His teachings, actions, and character as they seek to live a life that honors God and reflects His love and grace to others. The New Testament of the Bible emphasizes the importance of following Jesus' example:

1. 1 Peter 2:21 (New International Version): "To this, you were called because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."
  2. 1 John 2:6 (New International Version): "Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did."
  3. Philippians 2:5 (New International Version): "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus."
  4. John 13:15 (New International Version): "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So now we can come boldly before the throne of Grace.

Hebrews 4:16 King James Version (KJV)
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.