May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes I don't know what to think about the things that Jesus did. There are more than a few times that what he did are just so off the wall. Just a couple of examples:

What's up with the guy who was blind and Jesus put mud on his eyes and then asked if he could see? The dude says men look like trees walking, meaning that there was not a full healing, and then Jesus finishes the healing. Strange.

Then when he is walking on the water it says that he walked as if he would pass them by. I think that's a hilarious picture. Jesus just out for a stroll on the water with a little head nod saying "Sup?" What reason would he have to pass them by, or make as if he would pass them by?

Then there's the cursing of the fig tree, the many times that he uses his spit in the process of healing someone, and his propensity to speak in parables.

It's a really interesting picture of Jesus when you really get into the strange things that he did.

May 31, 2013
Northeast
✟25,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here's my take at all this.

Also there are many ways to interpret a single miracle.

What's up with the guy who was blind and Jesus put mud on his eyes and then asked if he could see? The dude says men look like trees walking, meaning that there was not a full healing, and then Jesus finishes the healing. Strange.
This man was born blind; it wasn't a recent event. The condition had become his norm, and so I believe his heart was at least slightly hardened toward a full (20/20 vision) recovery. Too much to believe for. Jesus typically met people at their point of faith, so maybe "men like trees" was the blind man's point of faith, i.e. the best he could expect.

Another way to look at it was that this man had no idea what normal vision was. Who knows, he may have been overjoyed at seeing men like trees, believing that was how every person saw things. But Jesus obviously knew the man had faith, and so he rewarded it with full manifestation.

A third way to look at it: This man was obviously going to tell all his friends what happened -- that miracles are available. What if his vision had come back perfectly in one second? That would have been the wrong message to send other people, because miracles can take time to manifest fully. The last thing people hoping for a miracle need to hear is that miracles always manifest instantly. Can they? Yes. But not always. Each need is unique, each person's faith is unique, and oftentimes a miracle depends on the intervention of another person who may or may not take a while to get a clue or, once he gets it, actually to act on it.

Then when he is walking on the water it says that he walked as if he would pass them by. I think that's a hilarious picture. Jesus just out for a stroll on the water with a little head nod saying "Sup?" What reason would he have to pass them by, or make as if he would pass them by?
Jesus was "out for a stroll" on top of the very problem that was about to kill the disciples, and that's the whole point. Jesus was walking on the problem. In the Middle East, a sign of disrespecting something is to walk on it or otherwise touch it with your sandals.

As for almost passing by the disciples, the point is that you have to come to Jesus. You have to ask. You have to call out. Jesus (or God) won't act where he/He doesn't first see clear evidence of faith. This is a common thread throughout the Bible. "I am here. Call out to me."

Then there's the cursing of the fig tree
Nothing at all strange about that. The fig tree was not behaving as it was designed to behave -- whether the fruit was late or the leaves were early. The details don't matter; what does matter is that it was a perversion of God's original design/intent. So, the fig tree incident was just a mini version of Sodom and Gomorrah and the fate it incurred for being a perversion of God's original intent.

the many times that he uses his spit in the process of healing someone
It's not necessary to understand how miracles are accomplished. Lots of people debate how spit played a part -- even going into the chemical analysis of spit, and its possible medicinal effects. Ridiculous. The whole idea is to accept a miracle the way it is delivered and not to question it with our limited human understanding. Our brains and our five senses are useful only for survival. To understand the things of God, they're useless, and often counterproductive.

Think if the man who got spit-mud put on his eyes had said, "But... I don't understand how this is supposed to work. What's this spit going to do? I've had lots of people spit on me when my face was dirty, and I never saw then. This is dumb. This can't possibly work." He never would have received the miracle. We are supposed to BELIEVE, and stop thinking as rational human beings. Miracles are not rational. They manifest in irrational ways. A person's rational human thinking will pretty much guarantee he never, ever sees a miracle.

his propensity to speak in parables
We are supposed to meditate on God's Word -- to meditate on all the mysteries in it. It's not supposed to be delivered to us on a platter, pre-explained, pre-digested. There's got to be effort and concentration and commitment and focus on a person's part. These are the things you give something you love and respect and consider having extremely high value. However, most people are just plain dull. They're so wrapped up in sports, culture, music, gossip, and all kinds of other worthless junk that they're totally mis-tuned to things that are spiritual. Meditation on God's Word takes quality time and quantity time. That means excluding 99% of the junk that fills our lives. When you make all that space available, and start spending lots of time thinking about what all those parables are supposed to mean, that's when things start to pop. That's when you begin receiving revelation knowledge. At that point, the Word has become alive for you.

Warning: It can become highly addictive.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I don't know what to think about the things that Jesus did. There are more than a few times that what he did are just so off the wall. Just a couple of examples:

If you are familiar with the teachings of the Jewish sages of that time, you will know the reason that Jesus healed the man with spit and mud. Unfortunately not many Christians are familar with the Targums, Mishnah or Talmud. Shame as it would explain this for them.

Steve

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus did some weird things.

Then there's the cursing of the fig tree, the many times that he uses his spit in the process of healing someone, and his propensity to speak in parables.

It's a really interesting picture of Jesus when you really get into the strange things that he did.

What is your take on why Jesus did these things?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
There were professional healers back then and one of their miracle drugs was saliva. So this is a parable in action. First Jesus shows them the best they can expect with the best that they got and then He continues and shows everyone a real miracle. I have several "cures" by doctors that are about on the same level as the trees walking and a double miracle cure by anointing and prayer that gives me no trouble. Good as new.

Then there's the cursing of the fig tree
Parable in action. The fig is a symbol of Israel. It should have brought forth fruit. Didn't. A.D. 70 came around and that was that. Remember the fig leaves of Eve? That is a picture of the Law. Doesn't quite cover. The skins that God gave them covers them up and required blood to be shed. More parables, eh?

the many times that he uses his spit in the process of healing someone,
Note that when He does it on the Sabbath it is illegal (if my memory serves me.) and when He makes mud on the Sabbath, well! talk about breaking the Sabbath!

and his propensity to speak in parables.
In the beginning of Genesis you see the same thing. Parables in action. John caught that and brought it up in the first chapter of his Gospel. Its just a God thing. God likes plays on words, too, and Jesus had a good one when He called that woman a dog, using the form that meant a pet dog. She kept her cool, and I can see her grin and sparkle of her eye when she answered back.
Paul, at the beginning of 1 Cor 10 gave a few examples of how to use the type/archetype method in the O.T.

Upvote 0