Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you believe there is a connection between Colossians 2:15 and 1 Peter 3:19 ?? Is Colossians 2:15 alluding to 1 Peter 3:19 ?
If anything, I think it is the other way around.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So you do think there is a connection between those 2 versus ?
I don't know, as I don't know what it is talking about in 1 Peter 3:19.

But it seems to me obvious that the greater principle was his having disarmed the principalities and powers, not that he preached to someone. So, IF they are related, the preaching was about the disarming, and not the other way around.

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
" in which he also went and made an announcement to the spirits in prison."
" He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross"
"By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison"
"After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits—"
"And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross."

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Why do you think that ?
The word thriambeuō = triumphing over in Col 2:15 is a word use of leading in a triumphant military procession after a victory. The procession consisted not only of the victors, but also of defeated captives bound in chains.

After He was raised Jesus went to show Himself to the imprisoned spirits … showing He had triumphed over death.

In that way the two scripture are related.

(My use of the word chains is what was used, and not meant as a connection to 2Pe 2:4)

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The word thriambeuō = triumphing over in Col 2:15 is a word use of leading in a triumphant military procession after a victory. The procession consisted not only of the victors, but also of defeated captives bound in chains.

After He was raised Jesus went to show Himself to the imprisoned spirits … showing He had triumphed over death.

In that way the two scripture are related.

(My use of the word chains is what was used, and not meant as a connection to 2Pe 2:4)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe there is a connection between Colossians 2:15 and 1 Peter 3:19 ?? Is Colossians 2:15 alluding to 1 Peter 3:19 ?
If we read the entire passage it is clear that it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ of Nazareth preaching in Hades. It has to do with His humble servant Noah who preached salvation to the wicked from the comming destruction.

1 Peter 3: 18-22

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

Colossians has to do with legalism.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums