California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Certainly not meaning "G" for "God", as I acknowledge Jesus Christ to be God. Maybe vs. the "Gospel critics"? Such as Gallio, quite active lately here in "The Historical Jesus"? In any case I need to start a new thread, as Gallio at least seems to be so well-informed and carefully scholarly in what he writes that I find no easy starting point against him.
I thought the polite thing to do was to send a message to Gallio and ask him to study my writings I present here so we can discuss them. But I could not find the usual way here at CF to contact him. He was last active on March 17th. Has he since resigned? Or been banned?
Whatever, I'm not trying to refute the detailed scholarship Gallio presented, but to take a fresh look at the evidence.
Never just assuming the consensus to be right (or wrong), I investigated the gospels to find out what the texts themselves say about their origin. Four of my articles are accessible on the internet at MegaSociety.org in the Noesis volume #181 (June 2006 Special Biblical Scholarship Issue). In all I find that the dates for all the gospels are earlier than usually stated, thus providing good evidence for the usual Christian beliefs about Jesus Christ. Here's a portion of what I published:

Common Sense Gospel Study

Dale Adams​

The four Gospels and Acts can be shown by simple common sense to be very early in date. Putting aside a priori theology that Christ is God on the one hand, or on the other hand historical method that proceeds as if supernatural events cannot happen, let’s see what the texts themselves show.
The proper starting point is the Gospel of Luke and its continuation, The Acts of the Apostles. In the second half of the latter, the author at times slips into “we” (or “us” or “our”) sayings that indicate he was with Paul of Tarsus during the latter’s missionary journeys. These three passages are Acts 16:10-17; 20:5-21:18, and 27:1-28:16. At the conclusion of these, Paul is still alive and in Rome, which can be dated by reference to Paul’s epistles in the New Testament to be about 64 A.D. The most sensible date for the Gospel of Luke and its complementary Acts is thus 64 A.D. The author (presumably Luke) could have written this much later in his life, but it would by common sense analysis still be early.
The Lucan author employed sources, as he himself tells us in Luke 1:1-4. These would necessarily have been earlier. At least one source bears some connection to the apostle Peter, whose name appears frequently in the Gospels and in the first fifteen chapters of Acts. The mention in Acts 15:7-11 occurs in the context of Acts chapters 13 to 28 that focus on Paul, so the source connected with Peter seems to end at Acts 12:19. The death of King Herod Agrippa I (12:23) sets the date at 44 A.D. This likely sets the date of the writing of the source and also establishes the likely author, as this is when Peter “went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark.” Church tradition also supports this logic, that Peter’s scribe was Mark, and critical scholarship calls this source “Ur-Marcus.” It would have been as well titled “Ur-Lucas” to acknowledge that it underlies not just the Gospel of Mark, not just the Gospel of Luke, but also the Acts also written by the writer of Luke.
The earliest version of this Ur-Marcus was evidently written in Aramaic and included at least the Passion Narrative and the Feeding of the 5,000, as these are recounted in all four of the canonical Gospels. The composition of the Fourth Gospel, John, seems best regarded as having been rotated in composition among a team of the apostles, making an early date sensible for it as well.
Peter (after Jesus, of course) is the focus of the Ur-Marcus Aramaic draft, but his name is primary in many other passages of the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) as well. Verbal identities in the Greek among these passages between the Gospels of Mark and Luke establish that this second (?) draft should be called Greek Ur-Marcus. This stage of the collaboration between the men Peter and Mark would thus be most likely not long after 44 A.D.
The Gospel of Luke is widely regarded by critical scholars as containing a source we call “Q.” Simply by comparing Luke with the Gospel of Matthew, anyone can see for himself that they share a large body of text in common that is not found in Mark. However, it is over-simplifying to hold that all this common material traces back to a common source, Q, and that no other sayings are from Q. The true-blue Q sayings are not verbally exact between Matthew and Luke. Any verses that are verbally exact were copied into Matthew from Luke and are not likely from Q. These are found largely in Matthew chapters 23 and 24, particularly 23:23 to 23:39 and 24:26 to 24:51. This shows that Matthew was written later than Luke, but still was most likely complete by 70 A.D., as it does not mention the Fall of Jerusalem in that year.
One commonly hears that there are no Q passages in the Gospel of Mark. This is incorrect. The discovery of the complete text of the Gospel of Thomas at Nag Hammadi in 1946 revealed sayings in it that are in Mark, and not just from Matthew and Luke. Although this could mean that the text of Thomas was based on the completed Synoptic Gospels, close study shows that it is more likely that the parts of Thomas that overlap the canonical Gospels are based on a source text they share in common, namely Q or some variant thereof. Unless the writer of Thomas also had access to Ur-Marcus, this shows that Thomas picked up some of the same parables from Q that Mark included. It thus seems that Ur-Marcus was almost completely narrative text with even fewer sayings than we commonly attribute to Mark.
The Q Source could have been written very early. It was written in Aramaic, judging by the sections that Mark and Luke have in common that lack verbal exactitude. The word “Twelve” (meaning the 12 Apostles) appears so often in this that it is commonly called the Twelve-Source. The name Matthew (or Levi) occurs where this text begins (as at Luke 5:27), and early external tradition names the writer as this Matthew, so this material could have been from an eye-witness or could even have been first put in writing during the lifetime of Jesus.
Late dates for the Gospels have not disappeared from scholarship, as seen in Burton Mack. However, the more fashionable tendency has been toward early dating. No one has stepped forward to prove wrong the early dating reached by the liberal Anglican Bishop John A. T. Robinson. In Redating the New Testament (1976, pp 352-354) he gave approximate dates for all four Gospels as between 40 and 65 A.D.
[End of quotation from my article in pg. 7-11 in Noesis #181]

Last edited:

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Korah,

I'm writing my PhD dissertation on a dimension of the historical Jesus, and yesterday in my research, I came across this information regarding the acceptance of four Gospels and the rejection of spurious gospels. We are in an environment today where some historical Jesus scholars want to accept these apocryphal gospels as authentic in determining the content of the Gospels.

Here is what I found:

Bishop of Lyons (France) in about A.D. 180, Irenaeus in Against Heresies, recognised the four canonical Gospels as Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (Irenaeus n.d.:3.11.7-8) and wrote of "an unspeakable number of apocryphal and spurious writings, which they [i.e. the heretics] themselves have forged, to bewilder the minds of foolish men, and of such as are ignorant of the Scriptures of truth" (Irenaeus n.d.:1.20.1).

In the third century, Origen wrote his "Homily on Luke 1:1-4", in which he wrote concerning verse 1, "You should know that not only four Gospels, but very many, were composed…. The Gospels we have were chosen from among these gospels and passed on to the churches" are "Matthew, Mark, John, and Luke…. They wrote their Gospels when they were filled with the Holy Spirit" (Origen 1996).

Origen's comment on Luke 1:2 is that "the Church has four Gospels. Heretics have very many" (Origen 1996).

In the 21st century we are back to what was happening in the 2nd and 3rd centuries with the promotion of "other gospels" such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Peter, etc.

Sincerely, Spencer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gallio has still been inactive on CF since March 17th, so I fear he won't be back. I don't think I would have convinced him of anything, but I would like to have exchanged views with him as a fine scholar. Nor will I let that stop my from continuing to present my research that shows that the gospels present to us the historical Jesus. This latter half of the article is mostly my own views rather than any consensus of scholars.
So, resuming from where I left off in my OP from my 2006 article in Noesis #181, "Common Sense Gospel Study""

Proceeding beyond this point is somewhat supererogatory, but provides additional support for the main point I am making. As I have said above, the earliest writing attributable to Peter was what I call Aramaic Ur-Marcus. It must have included the sections in the Gospel of John that are also found in the Synoptics, which include the Feeding of the Five Thousand (John. 6: 5-21) and the Passion Narrative (John. 18:1-19,26-35, 38-40); and most of Ch. 19. These elements are distinct from, but were early merged with, what most scholars agree should be called the Signs Gospel. This is a biography of Jesus formed around what are thought to be seven miracles, and scholars acknowledge an early date for it. The names Andrew and Phillip occur frequently in this stratum; thus one of them seems to be the eye-witness source. However, the largest part of this Fourth Gospel is composed of teachings generally called Discourses. Scholars (including many orthodox believers) tend to view these as having too advanced a Christology to be from the first generation of Christians. This High Christology tends to be well respected by Christians whose Tradition teaches them that the Apostle John wrote this down during his very old age, and tends to be disparaged by critics who find its elevation of Jesus to Godhead to be late and unreliable. However, this late dating would be reversed if we looked upon these discourses as very early and very rough notes of just the most startling things Jesus said. “Why would this be?”, one would ask.

Well, the Gospels make clear that Jesus had many enemies, particularly among the religious establishment. In the Gospel of John a member of that hierarchy is mentioned, one Nicodemus. Not coincidentally, I say, the extended teachings portion of John begins with the first mention of his name at John 3:1 and ends at the last mention at John 18:39. He is mentioned at one other time, at John 7:50-52, at which time he is commissioned by the other Pharisees to “Go into the matter, and see for yourself: prophets do not arise in Galilee.” But when Nicodemus did this investigation, he did not write down the general teachings of Jesus and included none of his moral code, but only the high-flown and self-exalting theology that proved Jesus to be a madman, a liar, or the God he claimed to be. Unbelievers thus find the Gospel of John to be blasphemous or just ridiculous, whereas believers find in it the substance of their worship of Jesus as Christ. When these notes by Nicodemus became incorporated in the Fourth Gospel, it made it seem to be irreconcilable with the Synoptic Gospels because all the other Gospel writers were interested only in the practical teachings of Jesus or were simply incapable of understanding theology.

My view of the Gospel of John leaves hardly any of it to be written by the supposed author, the Apostle John. I limit him to the role of Editor, except that most of Chapter 13 can be attributed to him. I acknowledge him to be the Beloved Disciple (John 13:23, 19:26, 20:2, and 21:20). All in all I find this gospel to have been written as the Muratorian Canon says it was, by a team of apostles (I name them as Peter, Andrew, and John), incorporating the posthumous notes of Nicodemus. The final work on this Gospel was done before 70 A.D. by John Mark, who was also an eyewitness as the son of Mary of Bethany—see Chapter 11, the raising of Lazarus. (I went into this in great detail in my “The Significance of John” in the May-July 1988 Cincinnatus Society Journal no. 3, pp. 1-13. My true name for it was “The Three Sources and Five Editions of John.” I also have a book-length version I wrote in 1979.)

The rest is anti-climactic. The gospels Matthew and Mark remain to be accounted for. There are two or three chapters out of Mark’s sixteen that are not paralleled in Luke, mostly the sixth through eighth chapters of Mark. Almost all of this is found in the Gospel of Matthew (although the Mark as we have it today adds a few verses and parts of verses). The person, not likely the person Mark, who added this to Mark was also associated with the writing of Matthew. This person seems not to have been a close associate of Jesus. He seems to have gotten his information at second or third hand, including gossip on the street. He adds a number of chapters worth of new teachings of Jesus, but they seem like Jesus’s other teachings, so are probably largely genuine. This material is called Matthean, although few believe their source is the apostle Matthew. (Incidentally, the most questionable parts include the verses the Roman Catholics use to prove the primacy of the pope.)

I have variously guessed that this writer was the James who was not an apostle or, of all people, Barabbas, the man who lived after Jesus died in his place. It remains to mention that the author Luke found some teachings of Jesus that were not in any of his sources and added to the Gospel of Luke several chapters of obviously genuine teachings of Jesus (such as the parables of Prodigal Son and the Good Samaritan). With the possible exception of Matthew, which as I stated above paradoxically includes some Lucan material, all these four Gospels were written before 70 A.D.

Scholarly Note: Regarding the information above, whatever I say about the Synoptic Gospels can be said to represent an amalgam of consensus scholarship of the last 100 years. (Well, combining some scholarship of the mid-20th Century no longer regarded as consensus with some new scholarship not known in the mid-20th Century, that is.) What I say about the Gospel of John is largely based on idiosyncratic scholarship combined (together with my original contributions) in a way that is uniquely my own. To cite the scholars whose source-criticism is buried within my own would include books in the 1970’s by Howard Teeple, Sydney Temple, Robert Fortna, and W. Nicol; and Urban von Wahlde’s article in the 1979 Journal of Biblical Literature. Proper source-criticism of John only became possible after the 1966 publication of photocopies of ancient papyri such as P66 and P75.

The above concludes my June 2006 article "Common Sense Gospel Study". However, I have three other articles of the same nature at that website, "MegaSociety.Org". Maybe we can discuss here those in Noesis #181 as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married