May 10, 2014
currently with the snow geese !
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I want to say that I do believe in God and study the bible, pray, live by the general tenants. However I have some difficulty understanding Jesus as a living sacrifice / Savior. I believe Jesus existed. He has been a role model for me, even before I believed in God. I have not accepted Jesus as a personal Savior.

Actually, I have a few ponderings about Christianity that I want to ask about. But I figure it's best to do one question at a time.

I do ask a favor. Please don't answer my questions solely with Quotes from the Bible and nothing else. I have read the bible from beginning to end since childhood. I need some explanation along with the verses you quote.

So here is my difficulty with understanding Jesus as the Savior.

Difficulty one:

Jesus is called the sacrificial lamb.

Is that not kind of a human sacrifice? God does not accept human sacrifices ? Right? Even in the Abraham/Issac story Issac is not sacrificed. (Though I do have difficulties with that whole situation I will save it for later).

I have heard it said that people want to get washed in the blood of Jesus? That's difficult for me to understand? Scary even.

This is a sincere question in my heart. Not a challenge or debate or anything negative. Something that confuses me.

Thanks for helping me.

Abandoned Barns

Powered by Grace
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
✟15,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey. Nice to meet you.

No, I don't think God digs human sacrifice. He's pretty clear about that in a few places:

Deuteronomy 12:31 (ESV) said:
31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.

God made us. He loves us. So doesn't make much sense for him to have us kill one and other as a demonstration of our love or loyalty to him. At least not to me.

What you have to remember is that Jesus wasn't just human. He was both God and human. If he were just a man, the sacrifice of his life would not have been enough to pay the ransom for the sin of all humanity. It necessarily had to be something more than human sacrifice.

God is very clear with us; he cannot tolerate sin even in its simplest form. He tells us that the wage of sin is death. In olden times, before Jesus, that's why they sacrificed animals: to pay the wage of sin. Every sin washed away by the blood of the sacrificial animals. That blood, taken by the priests behind the curtain in the temple, which separated the people from the true presence of God and offered as atonement.

Since Jesus, we get a new deal - that is the wage of all sin has been paid for by Jesus's death. Our sins now and always washed away by his blood. When Jesus died, that curtain was torn in two from top to bottom. What do you think that means? To me it means that there's no longer anything separating us from God. We no longer need an intermediary to deliver to God the payment for our sins. It's already paid and all we need to do is recognize that it has been and what that means.

Because you know what the other thing is Rafael; He didn't have to. When you think of a blood sacrifice, it's generally assumed that the sacrificee' is not there as a willing participant, but Jesus was:

John 10:18 (ESV) said:
18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

Thats pretty amazing, in my book. Not even considering the level of self-sacrifice (which in and of itself is overwhelming when you think about it) but just for the fact that it has got to be about the toughest thing I've ever heard. The Rock who? Could you make that choice if you have the option not to? I'm not so sure I could.

So anyway I'm sure you got quite enough out of me and that there will be other, better read, smarter, more experience Christians here to answer your question as well. It's just my $0.02 and I felt called to share with you. Nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Difficulty one:

Is that not kind of a human sacrifice? God does not accept human sacrifices ? Right? Even in the Abraham/Issac story Issac is not sacrificed. (Though I do have difficulties with that whole situation I will save it for later).

I have heard it said that people want to get washed in the blood of Jesus? That's difficult for me to understand? Scary even.

This is a sincere question in my heart. Not a challenge or debate or anything negative. Something that confuses me.
There's a big, big difference between telling people they either can or should kill each other in order to present an acceptable sacrifice (which is what human sacrifice is) and providing the body yourself through the Incarnation in order to perform the substitutionary atonement.

Let me know if any of these terms need clarifying.

Upvote 0

ForJesusChrist

Follower of Christ
Feb 26, 2014
✟18,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Difficulty one:

Jesus is God in the flesh, not just an ordinary human.

Sorry about the second question, not really sure how to answer it.

God Bless

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I want to say that I do believe in God and study the bible, pray, live by the general tenants. However I have some difficulty understanding Jesus as a living sacrifice / Savior. I believe Jesus existed. He has been a role model for me, even before I believed in God. I have not accepted Jesus as a personal Savior.

Actually, I have a few ponderings about Christianity that I want to ask about. But I figure it's best to do one question at a time.

I do ask a favor. Please don't answer my questions solely with Quotes from the Bible and nothing else. I have read the bible from beginning to end since childhood. I need some explanation along with the verses you quote.

Difficulty one:

Thanks for helping me.

Would it be easier to understand sacrifice in terms of victim language? Not as an offering, consumed, taken to God to appease Him; but rather Jesus is God become flesh, God become sacrifice--victim.

Jesus isn't a burnt offering to appease God. Jesus is the self-offering of God to the world, taking part in our sufferings, our death, our hopelessness to take us into Himself, and present us to God through His resurrection.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Difficulty one:

Thanks for helping me.
Good question!

When a soldier in the heat of the battle sacrifices himself for the lives of his fellow soldiers, we regret the loss of such a wonderful person and yet commend him for his love of his fellow soldiers.

Christ is not committing suicide, but is freely giving up his life to help a totally undeserving group. He by all logic should not have done this, but did do it out of some unique unbelievable Love for humans. Since God is totally empathetic of what Christ is going through God the Father is suffering as much or more than Christ Himself and really would not “want” Christ to go through all this, but out of God the Father’s Love for humans God allows (wills) Christ to make this sacrifice. God “wants” it done to help willing humans.

This “sacrifice” was not made to appease some “god” that needed appeasing, but the sacrifice was made to help willing humans (those that through a trust in him, believe what he did for them and because of them). This leads into a huge explanation of atonement, which you might not want to go through.

Being “washed in the blood of Christ” is not to be a warm wonderful feeling, but you should have strong contradictory emotions about what is happening. There is horror and Love being seen at the same time.

Upvote 0

Rafiel

May 10, 2014
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My warmest greetings and thanks for the answers.

I have to admit, by the time I finished reading all, I felt strong emotions and thoughts. I get it. And I am seriously holding back an unexpected flood of confusion, sorrows, thoughts. The more I ponder, the stronger the "pressure"? Like I have this huge dam in place and now it feels weakened. I am scared. Not fear.

I feel a powerful something to get on my knees and just cry.

I don't understand? I am afraid. So much to think and feel.

I know I am a sinner. I know I am in need of healing. But I also feel angry. Does being a sinner mean I am worthless without God?

A person who was suppose to care for me all thru my first eighteen years did so much to ensure I have an inner life of deep pain told me I was worthless, even at the point of a shotgun.

It's difficult for me to confess to God I am a sinner who is worthless without Jesus in my life.

I built a huge wall for my emotions and thoughts. Protection. Now its all there. Up front and almost bursting forth. I am afraid to feel so much, that I hid away.

I know I am a man and we are suppose to be tough and stuff. not so emotional. But its there.

Isn't God and Jesus as emotional and personal as it can get? Or is it me? I am not sure what a man will think or feel in this situation. Is it normal?...all these thoughts and feelings, about Jesus and the Cross, God's love, and so much more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparrows

Dec 18, 2012
✟15,284.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, rather a victim. Jesus did not simply die instead of us. The New Testament does not write anywhere that Jesus died instead of us.
Jesus died for us. He lived for us and died for us. All the days of his earthly life he worked for our salvation and at the end He (the blameless, the man and God) was ready to take on a shameful death for us.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus' death primraily fits the model of martyr. He wasn't killed by someone in the Temple as a sacrifice to God. He was killed unjustly because of what he said and did. In a 1st Cent Jewish context this would have been seen as analogous to the Maccabeean martyrs.

However I do agree that the NT understands his death as sacrificial, so in that sense you'd have to say that he was a human sacrifice. Human sacrifice is immoral because God doesn't want us killing people to sacrifice to him. But in Jewish cultures, martyrs also had a sacrificial understanding. Look at Is 53, and also at the post-OT understanding of the suffering of martyrs, which was taken to benefit the people. So ethically I'd say that intentional human sacrifice is wrong, but martyrs can have a sacrificial role, even though the people who killed them didn't intend that.

As to what the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice was: Jesus himself understood it as a covenant sacrifice ("my blood of the new covenant"), to establish the new covenant of Jer 31:31. Hebrews 9 and 10 go into more detail on this, quoting both Ex 24:8 (the sacrifice to establish the original Mosaic covenant) and Jer 31:31. Hebrews' argument is that the blood of animals can't fully deal with sin, but the new covenant, which writes the Law into our hearts, can.

Why does establishing the new covenant require blood? Hebrews says that under the old covenant everything is purified with blood, and implies that to establish the new one everything will still need to be purified with blood. This may not be the most useful answer for Christians, since we're not used to the OT sacrificial system. In Rom 6, Paul gives an answer that's probably more meaningful for most of us. He says that in order to deal fully with sin, our old selves have to die. We die and are risen with Christ. So everything depends (as always in Paul) upon our union with Christ, what he calls being "in Christ." Through this, our old man dies and we experience new life with him. This still may not answer as much as some people would like, which is why many different theories of the atonement arose. To avoid making this too complex, I won't give my own speculations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abandoned Barns

Powered by Grace
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
✟15,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know I am a man and we are suppose to be tough and stuff. not so emotional. But its there.

Bo, I wouldn't worry too much about coming off like a sissy in here. In my experience it's the toughest guys that make the biggest puddles when they come to Christ. I'm 6'1", 230lbs, I work in construction and I've been in a scrap or two. I've been saved for about six years now and I still get a little froggy whenever I talk about this stuff. It doesn't make you a sissy to be broken. It makes you a sissy if you refuse to admit that you are.

Rafael, check this out:

2 Corinthians 4 (ESV) said:
Treasure in Jars of Clay

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.8We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;

Please hear that; "struck down, but not destroyed." Not destroyed. We are never destroyed. We are never too broken for God.

If you want to talk about someone being a sissy, I cried my eyes out the first time I realized what this means. To this day it's one of my very favorite verses in scripture, because (at least to me) what it's saying is that it's the "broken" that makes us beautiful. That "treasure inside" is a place inside of us where God lives. We fret about the chips and cracks that our very fragile clay jars sustain, but the truth is without them we could never see the treasures inside each other.

Just take it easy now. Breath some and just be. You got this. Folks here are going to help you through it if you want. And even if you don't, He is always there for you.

Try to pray a little. Even if it feels a little phony at first. It doesn't have to be on your knees, or using fancy words, or in the church. It can be in bed at night, or in the shower, or while you're driving. Just talk to him. Tell him that you're broken. Tell him that your lost. Tell him you're confused and don't know whether to believe in him - He already knows. Tell him that you don't know what to have for lunch if you want. You're not bothering him; he never grows tired of hearing the sound of our voices. Just talk to him - and listen. Listen not just with your ears but with your heart. He'll answer you Rafael. I promised that He will. It may not be in the way that you expect or want, but he's there.

Psalm 46:10 (ESV) said:
Be still, and know that I am God

I'm praying for you my friend. I'm glad that you're here and hope you will keep coming back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Rafiel. Jesus died that we might live, Jesus paid the prize for sins and transgressions, which we could not pay: there was no-one left without Sin.
Jesus paid the debt, which Mankind owed to God`s Eternal Law. Now we are free again to follow Jesus back to our Heavenly Father.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Jesus tells us:
" On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love is very important to God, and God wants our love freely given and No conditions attached. In Matthew 7: 7-10 we ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God, and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking God and thanking God, then we share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. God will see our sincere efforts, and God will approve and Bless us. Love is a Christian`s great weapon, with love we will overcome all obstacles and bad behaviour.
The Bible tells us to " Repent, " and to be " Born Again." To change our selfishness into loving and caring. Love is very catching, and we will change into the sons and daughters, which God wants us to become. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on Loving and Caring. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us, JESUS IS THE WAY. Jesus our Sacrifice? Yes and Yes again. It does not bear thinking about,
if we would be under Satan`s rule, but Jesus vanquished Satan on Golgotha.
Let us now change into the Loving men and women which follow our Saviour
back to God. I say this with love, Rafiel. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rafiel, Jesus loves you without limits. He paid the ultimate price for you - not merely the physical agony of the Cross, but He took upon himself all the sin of the world. Whatever you're going through, take it to Him. Don't worry about where you are theologically. That doesn't matter. What matters is that you meet with the One who loves you, the One who can comfort and save you.

Jesus not only forgives the sins of the world, He takes them away - which is actually the literal meaning of forgiveness in the Bible. Whether it's your sin, or sin done to you, He has the power to save you from it. "He who knew no sin became sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God" (2Cor 5).

As for human sacrifice, God is sovereign and reserves some things for Himself. Jesus says that no one took His life, He voluntarily laid it down. At the Cross, God was both the offering and the one offering; the sacrifice and the priest.

I also had a lot of emotional healing I had to go through, and my course at first was not terribly straightforward. I have found that Jesus stuck with me through it far more than I ever would have thought He would, far more than even my exegesis of scripture would have dictated. The more I walk with Him, the more I see the reality of His faithfulness and of his promise:

Come to me, all of you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke on you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy to carry and my burden is light.” -mt 11.28-30

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Difficulty one:

Jesus was sacrificed. But he did so willingly, not by compulsion. His sacrifice was an expression of God's love and mercy, not a pagan attempt to appease a bloodthirsty god that was motivated by fear.

Well, Scripture says that the shed blood of Christ cleanses us from sin. It is the only way the stain of sin can be removed from us. And the stain must be removed or you will die the "second death" in hell for all eternity. Thus, the blood of Christ that cleanses us is correctly seen as a purifying, and vital, and beautiful part of salvation. And we are not literally washed in blood. This is figurative language that speaks of a spiritual reality.

I know I am a sinner. I know I am in need of healing. But I also feel angry. Does being a sinner mean I am worthless without God?
You are, quite literally, nothing without God. He created you and sustains your existence every moment of every day. You are utterly dependent upon your Creator for everything.

Are you worthless? No. You are, as a creature made in the image of God, the pinnacle of God's creation. You have tremendous intrinsic value. But being a sinner means you are separated from your holy Maker and stand under His righteous judgment. Fortunately, God has made a way, through Christ, for the separation your sin has caused between you and Him to be dissolved.

I built a huge wall for my emotions and thoughts. Protection. Now its all there. Up front and almost bursting forth. I am afraid to feel so much, that I hid away.

Isn't God and Jesus as emotional and personal as it can get? Or is it me? I am not sure what a man will think or feel in this situation. Is it normal?...all these thoughts and feelings, about Jesus and the Cross, God's love, and so much more.
Jesus wept and he was the manliest man who ever lived! Walling off your emotions may seem necessary at times, but doing so is never really a healthy way of dealing with them. Giving expression to your emotions is crucial to healing and inner stability.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Rafiel

May 10, 2014
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sure glad for this forum. I am not even close to brave enough to talk to someone in person about this stuff.

Funny, I usually connect on the funny level with others. Making jokes. But this is very strongly personal and serious. It feels like the ultimate relationship commitment process. Not to be taken lightly. I've never experienced these kinds of feelings/thoughts, I've never allowed myself to. Always afraid of being hurt....a deep trust issue.

I went for a long walk yesterday to spend time meditating on God and Jesus. Inspired by you, Abandoned Barns. I took my time with just going at it easy. There was a wonderous peace/calm that washed over me gently. Something strange to me, but not in a bad way. It felt like everything was ok. I was in a bubblespace, outside of time/space.

I have not even accepted Jesus yet. Yes, I don't want to do this completely alone. I don't mind the sharing of verses and personal spiritual perspectives.

I do have two final questions:

why can't we just ask for forgiveness and have a relationship with God?

and

If this acceptance of Jesus is as powerful as it seems to be, and I only felt around the edges.......and that is a lot of peace already.....how come so many Christians seem to hide it?=this relationship of peace that comes being a Christian?

I cannot even begin to explain the thanks I feel for the words that you all are sharing.

Rafi

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My warmest greetings and thanks for the answers.

I have to admit, by the time I finished reading all, I felt strong emotions and thoughts. I get it. And I am seriously holding back an unexpected flood of confusion, sorrows, thoughts. The more I ponder, the stronger the "pressure"? Like I have this huge dam in place and now it feels weakened. I am scared. Not fear.

I feel a powerful something to get on my knees and just cry.

I don't understand? I am afraid. So much to think and feel.

A person who was suppose to care for me all thru my first eighteen years did so much to ensure I have an inner life of deep pain told me I was worthless, even at the point of a shotgun.

It's difficult for me to confess to God I am a sinner who is worthless without Jesus in my life.

Please read the Prodigal son story (Luke 15: 11-32)

The Father in that story is like God. He is very emotional about His son. He weeps with joy as he runs to him, hugs Him, and Loves on Him.

God is waiting every hour of every day for you trying to see you over the horizon, He just will not drag you home against your free will.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do have two final questions:

why can't we just ask for forgiveness and have a relationship with God?

I promise you: “God is not the problem!” God is wanting to forgive you and will and can easily forgive you just as a wonderful parent can easily forgive a rebellious disobedient child, but the wonderful parent needs to provide more for that rebellious child to help that child “grow” and use this opportunity to help the parent’s other children (in other words: “discipline is needed”).

A child is expecting and actually wants to be disciplined by a Loving parent since it shows the parent’s concern.

and

If this acceptance of Jesus is as powerful as it seems to be, and I only felt around the edges.......and that is a lot of peace already.....how come so many Christians seem to hide it?=this relationship of peace that comes being a Christian?

I cannot even begin to explain the thanks I feel for the words that you all are sharing.
For a long time It was very hard for me to accept that my sins were as bad as they were and God’s Love was great enough to truly forgive me and I just had a hard time accepting pure charity.

Upvote 0

Abandoned Barns