Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get up early and the first program on the ATV in the morning in the UK is The Jeremy Kyle Show.

I was astounded at the lack of cognitive reasoning by the participants. One participant would say someone told me this... and the other would call them a liar when they really meant what you have been told is untrue.

The question is this: Is the thinking process's of the participants typical of society generally.

If so is Kyle doing a service in trying to resolve the issues or is he just producing a free alternative to a trip to the zoo?

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't seen the show but judging by your description, I'm guessing it's kind of like a Maury Povich or a Jerry Springer type show.

I would say, no. This is not typical of society in general. At least, I really hope not.

I've always felt the people on these types of shows are given some kind of script or something. They're just way too over-the-top in how they talk, act, how they dress and think.

Of course, I tend to be a cynical optimist ;)

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't seen the show but judging by your description, I'm guessing it's kind of like a Maury Povich or a Jerry Springer type show.

I would say, no. This is not typical of society in general. At least, I really hope not.

I've always felt the people on these types of shows are given some kind of script or something. They're just way too over-the-top in how they talk, act, how they dress and think.

Of course, I tend to be a cynical optimist ;)

Jerry Springer is definitely scripted.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
My theory: the average person is not very good at logic. Our brains are wired for making gut-decisions, and those gut-decisions are often pretty dumb, illogical, etc.

But, the average person also enjoys feeling smarter than others. People partially watch Jerry Springer (and assorted other shows) to feel superior. But for the average person to accurately recognize an argument or line of reasoning as faulty, it has to be really dumb. So TV (and radio) showcases (or pretends to showcase) the dumbest 1% of society, so the 99% can feel superior.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Mystman, you might be onto something. I first started watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (1st season) out of pure morbid curiosity. Then, I kept watching because if anyone can make you feel better about yourself no matter your situation, it is that family.

That said, I couldn't continue watching for long because I could feel brain cells quickly dying.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Jarvis

Quoth The Raven
Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I've just watched some Maury Povich episodes on You Tube ( we don't have the show over here).

The participants don't seem to me to be scripted. Some appear to have serious personality disorders.

Upvote 0