Visit site
✟441,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Each year, the Church celebrates the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God on New Year's Day, Jan. 1. While it is a holy day of obligation most years, in 2024, it will not be a holy day of obligation. Therefore, the faithful in the United States are not required to attend Mass during this solemnity.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Each year, the Church celebrates the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God on New Year's Day, Jan. 1. While it is a holy day of obligation most years, in 2024, it will not be a holy day of obligation. Therefore, the faithful in the United States are not required to attend Mass during this solemnity.

I think I'll go anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think I'll go anyway.
I thought about it but they have it as a daily Mass [one Mass at 8:30 AM]
Not feeling chipper, I decided it's best to not go.

I sit [stand] in the back away from folks - to avoid coughing so much on people.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I thought about it but they have it as a daily Mass [one Mass at 8:30 AM]
Not feeling chipper, I decided it's best to not go.

I sit [stand] in the back away from folks - to avoid coughing so much on people.
Mine was 9 AM. I woke up at 8:40 AM but I made it.

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

My wife and I assumed it was an obligation - we heard no announcement otherwise - and we participated, but would have anyway. I did wonder that there were so few in attendance - maybe they all got the message. We normally have 4 scheduled English Masses per Sunday, and the fact that only 1 (one) was scheduled today did seem strange - and the church was far from full - now it makes more sense: the Mass was not under obligation.
That all makes me sad, that a special and solemn Feast in honor of Mary, Mother of God, was so poorly received. Marian devotion in the ("civilized") West is so...... "optional".

Upvote 0