Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
[...]the old lions of the Christian Right are suddenly sputtering. "This is raising my blood pressure," admitted the normally calm, Mr. Rogers-sounding Dobson at the end of his radio show on Tuesday. Just a few weeks earlier, the conservative columnist and former Moral Majority vice president Cal Thomas wrote an essay calling Obama a "false prophet." [...] But if the grassroots reaction is any indication, the attacks on Obama have been largely self-defeating. After Thomas' column ran, dozens of regional papers that carry it were flooded with letters to the editor — and they were hardly in liberal bastions. In places like Augusta, Georgia, and Lubbock, Texas, people wrote in to criticize Thomas' attack on Obama. "To suggest that anyone is not a Christian because they do not adhere to Cal Thomas' narrow interpretation of what a Christian should believe," wrote one Texan, "is extremely intolerant, ignorant, and downright insulting."

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1818313,00.html

Reactions: Aerika

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad to see this. I will admit I haven't listened to the full text of what Dr. Dobson's comments, but what I did see seemed to be heavily reliant on creating straw men and then knocking them down. It seemed he'd play a portion of Obama's speech, then try to "interpret" it and restate what Obama said in terms of a straw man he could knock down. It's good to see someone calling Dobson on his claims.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What did he expect? You can't point tell the truth and expect the enemy to let it go unanswered.

*puts his flame resistent suit on* :D

Dobson's tactics have not always been what I would consider honorable and fair. When the movie "Fahrenheit 9-11" was released, Dr. Dobson encouraged his listeners to send angry letters to Michael Moore's house and gave out his personal home address. Obviously some people took this little "campaign" too far and decided to stalk Michael Moore and his family at their home. I also feel that Dobson has far too much involvement in politics. He's power hungry, plain and simple. Focus on the Family sells books, DVD's, they sell merchandise. Alot of this money goes to line Dobson's pockets and gives him political clout.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It isn't his fault some people may have taken things to far with Moore.

It seems to me that it's directly his fault that people stalked Moore. He published the man's home address and commanded his followers to harass him.

Upvote 0