Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our obedience to both commands are required.

Of course. But the vast majority of the letter is stressing application of the second commandment, not the first. The majority of the letter is about enduring trials, and specifically how to handle being mistreated by others, especially believers. It's most certainly what's in focus in James 1:27...

But I'm not much for going round and round, so maybe we'll pick this up again some other day.

God bless,
Hidden

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I totally disagree with the statements I underlined. The first underlined statement is not found anywhere in James. James is saying we need to concentrate on the second greatest commandment IF we are relating with people. He says nothing about the greatest commandment which is far more important. We can treat others the way the second greatest command requires, but still break the greatest commandment and vice versa. Our obedience to both commands are required. When we keep the last six of the Ten Words, we are showing love for our neighbors. When we keep the first four, we are showing love for YHWH. If we steal from our neighbor or bear false witness against him, our love for him is lacking (it is not what it should be in that area). If we break the Sabbath or worship graven images, our love for YHWH is lacking. If we move our neighbors boundary marker, our love for him is lacking. If we break any command found in Torah, our love for YHWH is lacking. Our faith should produce the good works of obedience to Torah.

Which is what I was pointing out, in a shorter format :)

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, back to one of my original questions, what are some specific things in this world that can blemish us? Or, in other words, what are some things we can avoid to keep from being spotted by the world? How about watching R rated movies? What about spending an inordinate amount of time watching TV or working on a worldly hobby that distracts us from doing spiritually related work?

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So, back to one of my original questions, what are some specific things in this world that can blemish us? Or, in other words, what are some things we can avoid to keep from being spotted by the world? How about watching R rated movies? What about spending an inordinate amount of time watching TV or working on a worldly hobby that distracts us from doing spiritually related work?

To be honest, it would take an enormous list to do justice to your question.

Basically, anything that is not honouring to G_d will blemish us. I do not think watching tv for any length of time is a problem to him - it is about what is being watched, and whether watching tv prevents us from working or caring for family etc etc. I have no idea what R rated movies represent, but I assume from the question that they are not in line with G_d's will for us to lead a G_d pleasing life, and so should be avoided. I have a worldly hobby - photography - what photo's are taken should reflect our faith and be G_d honouring.

I do not think he calls us to read scripture 24/7/365, but if we lead a life that is not honouring him then we obviously do need to read it much, much more! As for physical work for him, if we are leading a life that allows him to speak to us, then he will guide us in all things, if we do not, then we need to start reading his word all over again!

• Agree
Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, back to one of my original questions, what are some specific things in this world that can blemish us? Or, in other words, what are some things we can avoid to keep from being spotted by the world?

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or the things of the world. If someone loves the world, then love for the Father is not in him;

16 because all the things of the world — the desires of the old nature, the desires of the eyes, and the pretensions of life — are not from the Father but from the world.
17 And the world is passing away, along with its desires. But whoever does God’s will remains forever.​

The Pretensions of the American Dream

One of the angles that Thoreau takes in his overall argument is that people work far more than is necessary or healthy. While he believes that work can provide a path to good if it is done correctly, he believes that many people work too much to support themselves for things they do not need.

The archaic word "trumpery" refers to articles, objects, or even beliefs that are attractive but have little to no value or use. The adjective form describes things that are showy but worthless. Thoreau uses such a word to describe how he feels about the accumulated objects that people acquire throughout their lives, and how reducing such objects would allow them to better live the "Good Life".

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
It is simply about a balance in your life - neither obeying the Law, at the expense of justice, faith and mercy, nor diligently doing those three at the expense of the Law. In other words, Law, justice, faith and mercy, in equal measure in your life, is 'pure religion'.

It is the timeless debate about works vs Law. Basically, James says studying the Law is fine, but I will show you that works emanating from the study of G_d's Law is better. Salvation is not by the Law, alone, and neither is salvation by works alone.

Law (G_d's teachings) and Faith (by which works are done), working together in our lives, is what G_d requires of us.
Yep.. and well sprinkled with mercy, compassion, and love for your fellow beings.

• Agree
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0