Jam bands?

D

DMBfanLongliveStrongBad!

i would have to say phish.

i haven't heard moe, but i'm going to check them out soon. i've heard their guitar player rips. what would you reccomend i listen to first?

also, do you trade live music.
here's my list: http://db.etree.org/bryceDMBspoon

i listen to alot of DMB, but their not technically a "jamband" (supposedly)

and about it being christian,

first of all, this is the secular music forum, so don't worry about that.

and also, i believe that out of all the musicians out there, jam bands, (especially phish) have such a great ability to create real art, which is a good thing. Moderator Bill (ps139) will testify to that.

Upvote 0

megjesfai

Nov 9, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
DMBfanLongliveStrongBad! said:
i would have to say phish.

i haven't heard moe, but i'm going to check them out soon. i've heard their guitar player rips. what would you reccomend i listen to first?

also, do you trade live music.
here's my list: http://db.etree.org/bryceDMBspoon

i listen to alot of DMB, but their not technically a "jamband" (supposedly)

and about it being christian,

first of all, this is the secular music forum, so don't worry about that.

and also, i believe that out of all the musicians out there, jam bands, (especially phish) have such a great ability to create real art, which is a good thing. Moderator Bill (ps139) will testify to that.
i wish i could trade music but my comp doesn't have a sound card and its way too slow to download music regardless.
but yeah....i got the moe 3 disk set "warts and all" its really really good. my 2 favorite songs on there are "plane crash" and "nebraska." the music has a really awesome variety to it. and the guys voice is really unique.

dave mathews....some of its jammy. i could kinda be categorized as jam b/c its real trippy heady feel-good music. my fave dave song is "the last stop" and that song has HARDCORE spiritual messages.
i never got into phish. my husband got me into jam bands and he's not a big phish fa so thats probaly why. and yeah these bands really do create REAL ART. and even though a lot of the songs have drug refrences. it still has such good energy to it. and plus i highly doubt that someone is gonna wanna go out and blow coke by listening to casey jones........

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeaaaahhh another jambands fan!!
I am obsessed with Phish. Totally obsessed. I also love the Dead, they were one of my first favorite bands when I was 12. Dark Star just blows my mind! :) And I like moe. alot too. I went to moe.down this year and they tore the place apart! My fav. moe. songs would have to be Timmy Tucker and St. Augustine.

Have you ever heard the Steve Kimock Band? They are unbelievable. I actually like them better than moe. Kimock used to tour with the Dead when he was younger. He's also toured with Phil & Friends a lot. I'm actually seeing SKB again next weekend!!

I guess my other favorites are Stringcheese Incident & Dark Star Orchestra.
Dark Star Orchestra plays full Dead sets from specific dates and they are awesome.

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And about the real art thing... well I have listened to enough good jams that pop radio really makes me nauseous.
Some of the jams produce such beauty, that you never would have gotten had they not put 7 or 10 or 15 minutes into the jam.
This music is not for people who have no patience. It is for people who like to see the process by which something beautiful is crafted, and then it comes to a peak, and you can just enjoy the ride and soak in all the beauty :).

Upvote 0

megjesfai

Nov 9, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
musical [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. (is that appropriate to say here?)
i've heard the steve kimmock band. tongue and groove is an absolutely beautiful song! my husband has seen them in concert. he absolutely love them.
BTW--my name is Meg. wow it rocks that a moderator is a HUGE jam band fan! Christian forums rocks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DMBfanLongliveStrongBad!

megjesfai said:
musical [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. (is that appropriate to say here?)
i've heard the steve kimmock band. tongue and groove is an absolutely beautiful song! my husband has seen them in concert. he absolutely love them.
BTW--my name is Meg. wow it rocks that a moderator is a HUGE jam band fan! Christian forums rocks!
yes

musical [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] = eargasm

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
ps139 said:
And about the real art thing... well I have listened to enough good jams that pop radio really makes me nauseous.

I think that's a good argument for the subjective quality of music (surprise! :) ) Seriously, though, this observation, I would think, would allow you to see why someone might have listened to enough good pop songs that a 15 minute jam session really makes them naseous.

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that's a good argument for the subjective quality of music (surprise! :) ) Seriously, though, this observation, I would think, would allow you to see why someone might have listened to enough good pop songs that a 15 minute jam session really makes them naseous.
Well if you want my honest opinion, its like enjoying a 1000 page Dostoevsky novel over a 15 page almost all pictures book called "Johnny's first day of kindergarten."
Ok thats pretty extreme but you get the point - Dostoevsky is a better read.

Upvote 0

megjesfai

Nov 9, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ps139 said:
Well if you want my honest opinion, its like enjoying a 1000 page Dostoevsky novel over a 15 page almost all pictures book called "Johnny's first day of kindergarten."
Ok thats pretty extreme but you get the point - Dostoevsky is a better read.
LOL...very true..jam bands have a seriously classical music influence. Classical music is extremely complicated and so is jam band music. it takes more talent to learn how to play a grateful dead song on the guitar then a hanson song. whoever wants to debate that....well go pick up a guitar and see if you can learn the lead guitar part to China Cat sunflower in the same amount of time it takes you to learn MMM Bop

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums