Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jack Chick and his followers may mean well. I have a hard time thinking that anyone's goal in life is to sow seeds of division and discontent among God's people. But I also have a hard time remaining charitable when I see some of the outright lies which are passed around in his tracts.

Sort of like how I feel when I read Berit Kjos's site. I'm glad people are coming to Christ :clap: : I'm very angry that they are getting a does of lies and misinformation along with the truth. :mad: :sigh:

One more thing: these combative "ministries" usually serve to win people from Christian backgrounds or from liberal churches. For instance, an argument for the KJV as the only true version only usually works with someone who reads the Bible to begin with, and most of the "rebuke of sin/scare-tactic" tracts wouldn't frighten your average athiest or agnostic into coming to faith. . .I'm sorry to say it, but tracts, at least Chick tracts, are not going to be effective evangelism in a few years. . .

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We hold that the Bible, the Holy Word of a Holy God, was not only free from error in the originals (which have been lost for centuries) but also we believe God in His Singular providential care has KEPT HIS WORD all
through the ages,

This always makes me chuckle. People like this always gloss over facts. How, pray tell, did God keep His word all through the ages?

right down to the present day as found in the King James Version.

This gets a chuckle too. The arrogance that though the Scriptures were originally written in Hebrew, Greek, etc...that they have only found their ultimate expression in Elizabethan English and had no need to progress further. :)

We consider this version our final and absolute authority, above and beyond all other authorities on earth.

This doesn't get a chuckle, only a head shake. This is just fanaticism.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I do not like Chick for a variety of reasons. But I have seen the harshness and directness of the tracts shake people out of their complacency and set them on the quest for the truth about God. All of these people ended up getting born-again.

There's one in particular that I can think of that had that effect on folks I knew. It's one where he picks on TV evangelists (he's not just anti-catholic!), in which God sends out one of His faithful witnesses to talk to a famous TV preacher who doesn't know God from a hole in the ground. He tries with all that he has to get the man to listen about a relationship with Christ, but the preacher brushes him off. That night, the TV preacher dies and goes to hell.

One of my friend's brother started looking for God and eventually got saved because of that tract.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think we insult God when we are unable to see how someone could reasonably come to a conclusion. Even if we're just plain wrong, He knows that we're wrong sometimes.

I do share Zoo's mild amusement at the idea that the KJV, with all its questions of translation, is a "better" version of God's Word than the original texts in the original languages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by lambslove
I do not like Chick for a variety of reasons. But I have seen the harshness and directness of the tracts shake people out of their complacency and set them on the quest for the truth about God. All of these people ended up getting born-again.

There's one in particular that I can think of that had that effect on folks I knew. It's one where he picks on TV evangelists (he's not just anti-catholic!), in which God sends out one of His faithful witnesses to talk to a famous TV preacher who doesn't know God from a hole in the ground. He tries with all that he has to get the man to listen about a relationship with Christ, but the preacher brushes him off. That night, the TV preacher dies and goes to hell.

One of my friend's brother started looking for God and eventually got saved because of that tract.

If your friend's brother is now heavenbound due to a Jack Chick tract, that is great.   Praise God.  He is in the business of taking a pile of dog-do and turning it into gold.   If your friend's brother  is saved now, I give the glory to God, certainly not to Jack Chick.

Michelle

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Miss Shelby
If your friend's brother is now heavenbound due to a Jack Chick tract, that is great.   Praise God.  He is in the business of taking a pile of dog-do and turning it into gold.   If your friend's brother  is saved now, I give the glory to God, certainly not to Jack Chick.

Michelle

I'm sorry that you can't accept that Chick's tracts are not all bad. Good does come from them. My friend tried for years to reach her brother, but he thought that he was already saved. This tract showed him that he wasn't. Yeah! :) :pink:

Instead of critizing me for telling this story, why not celebrate that someone got saved?! :scratch:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by lambslove I'm sorry that you can't accept that Chick's tracts are not all bad. Good does come from them. My friend tried for years to reach her brother, but he thought that he was already saved. This tract showed him that he wasn't. Yeah! :) :pink:

It's awesome that he is now a believer.  Although I hope he didn't continue to read Chick's literature or there is a chance that he might have believed all of the lies Chick spews about Catholicism.

Instead of critizing me for telling this story, why not celebrate that someone got saved?! :scratch:

I said 'Praise God!' didn't I?

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by Gerry
Wooooah!!! Wait. You are saying Catholic's do NOT pray to Mary? Nor to any saints? Interesting. I am learning something new all the time.

To whom are you speaking in the "Hail Mary" when you say, "pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death"? Or perhaps this is not considered a prayer. Maybe it is a matter of defining prayer.

Perhaps you would be interested in my Catholic FAQs?

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/24464.html

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Gerry
Wooooah!!! Wait. You are saying Catholic's do NOT pray to Mary? Nor to any saints? Interesting. I am learning something new all the time.

To whom are you speaking in the "Hail Mary" when you say, "pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death"? Or perhaps this is not considered a prayer. Maybe it is a matter of defining prayer.

Okay, let's say I post something in the Prayer section here saying "Hey, folks, pray for me." Am I praying to CF, or am I asking CF to pray for God?

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by lambslove
Whatever.

God can use whomever or whatever He wants for his own good and glory.  It doesn't really endear me to Chick in any fashion  because overall he spews venom.  Matter fact, I resent people like him because I came dangerously close to believing lies such as his not long after my conversion to Christianity.

As for how your family lives..so what?  That is no way to measure what Catholicism is or isn't.  If you understood what the Church teaches  you'd know that.

Michelle

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.