LDS It seems to me if the gold plates ever existed...

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Since God chose to use King James English, you should ask Him.

What are you saying about your god by claiming that what he supposedly chose to use in the BOM is King James English? Do you think he is an incompetent moron or a fraud?

er·satz
/ˈerˌzäts,ˈerˌsäts/

adjective
(of a product) made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else.

"ersatz coffee"

• not real or genuine.
    "ersatz emotion"

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What are you saying about your god by claiming that what he supposedly chose to use in the BOM is King James English? Do you think he is an incompetent moron or a fraud?

er·satz
/ˈerˌzäts,ˈerˌsäts/

adjective
(of a product) made or used as a substitute, typically an inferior one, for something else.

"ersatz coffee"

• not real or genuine.
    "ersatz emotion"
God is neither a fraud or an incompetent moron. Since He chose the King James English for the Book of Mormon I stand by His choice. If you believe that He should have done differently you should tell Him so. I didn't know you were God's boss. I certainly would not tell God what to do.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny that it matters how many errors there are instead of there being none.

BOM has 3000 corrections and the Bible has only changed the language 2567 times so my Holy Book is more real ?

The logic still seems bit questionable.

Language changes over time. The KJV has over 800 words that changed meaning radically over the centuries - thus common sense demands updating the KJV so that what you think the texts means, is accurate.

Reactions: Dale
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
God is neither a fraud or an incompetent moron. Since He chose the King James English for the Book of Mormon...

He didn't, though. That's the point. The language of the BOM is not King James English, but a poorly done imitation.

You not being able to tell the difference and yet still standing by what you think it is just validates this as one of the many, many ways that JS and subsequent Mormon leaders down to this very day have used the ignorance of those who've placed their faith in Mormonism to their institutional advantage in perpetrating a massive, ongoing 190-year religious fraud.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually I am looking forward to the return of the plates when the sealed portion will be unsealed and we will find out what is in there.

Hi. My name is Joey smith, and I’ve got these golden plates. I’m going to translate them, and I need a transcriber, so I’m going to hide the plates in my hat, while I translate them, so he can’t see them.

And, when the transcriber pretends to lose what he wrote down, as a test to see if I can repeat word for word what I spoke to him before, I said God was angry about the first translation being lost, and He won’t let me redo it, but must now translate from different plates.

I’m also claiming God put 3,000 scriptures in those golden plates, taken word for word from the KJV, complete with translation errors found in some of those verses.

I also have a bridge to sell, cheap.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He didn't, though. That's the point. The language of the BOM is not King James English, but a poorly done imitation.

You not being able to tell the difference and yet still standing by what you think it is just validates this as one of the many, many ways that JS and subsequent Mormon leaders down to this very day have used the ignorance of those who've placed their faith in Mormonism to their institutional advantage in perpetrating a massive, ongoing 190-year religious fraud.
Yes the Book of Mormon is in the King James English and it is NOT poorly done although I am sure that you believe it is. I have not heard this complaint before so please be my guest and point out the massive contrast between the King James English of the Bible and that of the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Hi. My name is Joey smith, and I’ve got these golden plates. I’m going to translate them, and I need a transcriber, so I’m going to hide the plates in my hat, while I translate them, so he can’t see them.

And, when the transcriber pretends to lose what he wrote down, as a test to see if I can repeat word for word what I spoke to him before, I said God was angry about the first translation being lost, and He won’t let me redo it, but must now translate from different plates.

I’m also claiming God put 3,000 scriptures in those golden plates, taken word for word from the KJV, complete with translation errors found in some of those verses.

I also have a bridge to sell, cheap.
Well chad or joey or whatever your name is, I am not in the market for a bridge or your pretended story.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes the Book of Mormon is in the King James English

No, it really isn't. King James English isn't a name for any pseudo-variety of English that sounded 'fancy' or 'church-like' to some stupid hicks in upstate NY in the 19th century. It's another name for the Early Modern English of the 15th to mid/late 17th century, such as that which is preserved in the King James Version of the Bible. It has particular grammatical rules and conventions which are very obviously contradicted by the mongrel language that JS was trying to pass off as King James English.

and it is NOT poorly done

Yes it is. This is not really debatable, because if you actually know the grammatical rules that are characteristic of King James English, it doesn't take very much to find many, many mistakes in the BOM that simply wouldn't be there if that's what God had chosen to use (as opposed to what JS had chosen to imitate, but couldn't do so convincingly).

although I am sure that you believe it is.

It's not a matter of belief -- it's a matter of being able to compare the BOM to what it is trying to imitate. The BOM doesn't fail on this front because I don't like it, but because it's really amateurish and obviously a poorly produced work.

I have not heard this complaint before so please be my guest and point out the massive contrast between the King James English of the Bible and that of the Book of Mormon.

Oh, then you must have forgotten that you and I already had this conversation back in May of this year.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No, it really isn't. King James English isn't a name for any pseudo-variety of English that sounded 'fancy' or 'church-like' to some stupid hicks in upstate NY in the 19th century. It's another name for the Early Modern English of the 15th to mid/late 17th century, such as that which is preserved in the King James Version of the Bible. It has particular grammatical rules and conventions which are very obviously contradicted by the mongrel language that JS was trying to pass off as King James English.

Yes it is. This is not really debatable, because if you actually know the grammatical rules that are characteristic of King James English, it doesn't take very much to find many, many mistakes in the BOM that simply wouldn't be there if that's what God had chosen to use (as opposed to what JS had chosen to imitate, but couldn't do so convincingly).

It's not a matter of belief -- it's a matter of being able to compare the BOM to what it is trying to imitate. The BOM doesn't fail on this front because I don't like it, but because it's really amateurish and obviously a poorly produced work.

Oh, then you must have forgotten that you and I already had this conversation back in May of this year.
Did you point out anything specific? I didn't see anything specific. People like to say this and that is an error and do not consider typesetter errors. There was NO punctuation in the original text of the Bible. It all had to be put in afterwards. It seems to me that the King James English errors in the Book of Mormon are the ones carried over from the text of the Bible. That is most likely why you didn't list any specific errors.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me if the gold plates ever existed, LDS leaders would ask God to bring them back down to earth for modern LDS scholars and non LDS scholars to translate them into modern English.

After all, we know that there has been thousands of changes to the BOM.

Introduction to 3,913 Changes

There have many changes in the manuscripts of the Bible, but not one of them has changed the beliefs, history, or teachings of that ancient, God-inspired Bible. For me, the Book of Mormon's claim that Jesus came to North America after his resurrection has never been substantiated by the Native American traditional culture. That is its fatal flaw as a document claimed to be from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Did you point out anything specific? I didn't see anything specific. People like to say this and that is an error and do not consider typesetter errors. There was NO punctuation in the original text of the Bible. It all had to be put in afterwards.

Did you go to the link I provided to my post from May? There are specific examples of the grammatical errors found in the faux-King James English of the BOM relative to the actual usage of that time (and JS' time, of course). This is not about punctuation or any other sort of typographical error. These are grammatical errors that occur over and over in the BOM. You cannot wave them away by talking about something else like punctuation, and there's no reason for them to be there. They prove that the BOM only imitates the KJV style, but does so incredibly poorly.

Certainly if GOD had chosen to use King James English, He would have known how to do so properly, and Joseph's or any other mere human's limitations would not matter at all. What was JS meant to be but a conduit for the translation and/or inspiration, anyway?

The BOM is a very shoddy piece of work.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me if the gold plates ever existed, LDS leaders would ask God to bring them back down to earth for modern LDS scholars and non LDS scholars to translate them into modern English.

After all, we know that there has been thousands of changes to the BOM.

Introduction to 3,913 Changes
Joseph Smith was convicted of fraud. He told people he had a stone that empowered him to find buried treasure. He was hired to look for treasure. It was a scam. No treasure was found. He was taken to court,

Smith was arrested on at least 30 charges in his life time.

Joseph Smith defrauded a bank.

Joseph Smith was indicted on charges of polygamy. He asked a married woman to be his wife to be shared between two husbands.

Joseph Smith led a riot and destroyed a newspaper printing press of a newspaper that was critical of him. He led a riot including larceny and arson. He was arrested and charged with rioting.

He was wanted for treason in two states for trying to set up a government to take the place of the official government. A mob killed him and his brother while they were in jail awaiting trial. The Mormons fled from the area.

Joseph Smith was a false prophet.

• Winner
Reactions: Hrairoo
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Did you go to the link I provided to my post from May? There are specific examples of the grammatical errors found in the faux-King James English of the BOM relative to the actual usage of that time (and JS' time, of course). This is not about punctuation or any other sort of typographical error. These are grammatical errors that occur over and over in the BOM. You cannot wave them away by talking about something else like punctuation, and there's no reason for them to be there. They prove that the BOM only imitates the KJV style, but does so incredibly poorly.

Certainly if GOD had chosen to use King James English, He would have known how to do so properly, and Joseph's or any other mere human's limitations would not matter at all. What was JS meant to be but a conduit for the translation and/or inspiration, anyway?

The BOM is a very shoddy piece of work.
You are getting mixed up. The only discrepancies I know of with the King James English in the Book of Mormon are the errors in quotes from the Bible that were carried over to the Book of Mormon:

"Question: If the Book of Mormon is an accurate translation, why would it contain translational errors that exist in the King James Bible?"

From: Book of Mormon/Translation Errors from the KJV - FairMormon

Since it was given to Joseph Smith exactly as it was written on the plates there were bound to be errors especially those where the Bible was quoted.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith was convicted of fraud. He told people he had a stone that empowered him to find buried treasure. He was hired to look for treasure. It was a scam. No treasure was found. He was taken to court,

Smith was arrested on at least 30 charges in his life time.

Joseph Smith defrauded a bank.

Joseph Smith was indicted on charges of polygamy. He asked a married woman to be his wife to be shared between two husbands.

Joseph Smith led a riot and destroyed a newspaper printing press of a newspaper that was critical of him. He led a riot including larceny and arson. He was arrested and charged with rioting.

He was wanted for treason in two states for trying to set up a government to take the place of the official government. A mob killed him and his brother while they were in jail awaiting trial. The Mormons fled from the area.

Joseph Smith was a false prophet.
Joseph Smith was falsely charged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You are getting mixed up.

No. I'm talking about grammatical errors relative to the Early Modern English ('King James English') that the BOM seeks to imitate. You are responding with irrelevant points about punctuation and now about mistakes in quoted portions of the Bible that appear in the BOM. These are not the same thing at all.

The only discrepancies I know of with the King James English in the Book of Mormon are the errors in quotes from the Bible that were carried over to the Book of Mormon:

With due respect, this is because you do not know the nature of the problems with the BOM's attempt at King James English, and are being presented only the most faith-promoting explanations, which attempt to lay the blame for Joseph Smith's errors on the source material.

I don't even use the KJV myself, but I know from previous exposure to it that it does not use pronouns incorrectly (relative to the usage of the time/that stage of English) like the BOM does. Again, please go back to my other post with the link to my earlier post about this back in May. I shouldn't have to repeat the same thing over and over when it's already there.

This is an example of a type of grammatical error that shows that the person receiving the 'inspiration' or however you'd put it simply does not know how to use this variety of English. It's not about punctuation or carried over from quoted portions of the Bible, but something that occurs in the 'original' portions of the BOM with a frequency that rules out occasional slip ups or interference from Joseph's own manner of speaking or writing (read: it's a deliberate attempt to sound like King James English, but it doesn't succeed).

Since it was given to Joseph Smith exactly as it was written on the plates there were bound to be errors especially those where the Bible was quoted.

Then why were those errors (those which are supposed to be from the quotation of the Bible) unique to the edition of the Bible with which Smith was most familiar (the 1769 edition of the KJV owned by the Smith family)? The infamous CES letter has a whole section on this (and includes responses to FairMormon's rather tepid defense).

Pretty strange, right? Are we to believe that the ancient writers of the BOM had access to a specific printing of the Bible from 1769, despite the fact that the BOM narrative itself ends c. 400 AD?

• Winner
Reactions: Hrairoo
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No. I'm talking about grammatical errors relative to the Early Modern English ('King James English') that the BOM seeks to imitate. You are responding with irrelevant points about punctuation and now about mistakes in quoted portions of the Bible that appear in the BOM. These are not the same thing at all.

With due respect, this is because you do not know the nature of the problems with the BOM's attempt at King James English, and are being presented only the most faith-promoting explanations, which attempt to lay the blame for Joseph Smith's errors on the source material.

I don't even use the KJV myself, but I know from previous exposure to it that it does not use pronouns incorrectly (relative to the usage of the time/that stage of English) like the BOM does. Again, please go back to my other post with the link to my earlier post about this back in May. I shouldn't have to repeat the same thing over and over when it's already there.

This is an example of a type of grammatical error that shows that the person receiving the 'inspiration' or however you'd put it simply does not know how to use this variety of English. It's not about punctuation or carried over from quoted portions of the Bible, but something that occurs in the 'original' portions of the BOM with a frequency that rules out occasional slip ups or interference from Joseph's own manner of speaking or writing (read: it's a deliberate attempt to sound like King James English, but it doesn't succeed).

Then why were those errors (those which are supposed to be from the quotation of the Bible) unique to the edition of the Bible with which Smith was most familiar (the 1769 edition of the KJV owned by the Smith family)? The infamous CES letter has a whole section on this (and includes responses to FairMormon's rather tepid defense).

Pretty strange, right? Are we to believe that the ancient writers of the BOM had access to a specific printing of the Bible from 1769, despite the fact that the BOM narrative itself ends c. 400 AD?
You said: "I don't even use the KJV myself, but I know from previous exposure to it that it does not use pronouns incorrectly (relative to the usage of the time/that stage of English) like the BOM does."

Chapter and verse please.

You said: "Pretty strange, right? Are we to believe that the ancient writers of the BOM had access to a specific printing of the Bible from 1769, despite the fact that the BOM narrative itself ends c. 400 AD?"

They had the plates of Laban and they taught from them (the Old Testament).

"There are several problems with the idea that Joseph simply copied passages from the Holy Bible.

1) Witnesses to the translation process are unanimous that Joseph did not have any books, manuscripts, or notes to which he referred while translating. Recalled Emma, in a later interview:

I know Mormonism to be the truth; and believe the church to have been established by divine direction. I have complete faith in it. In writing for [Joseph] I frequently wrote day after day, often sitting at the table close by him, he sitting with his face buried in his hat , with the stone in it, and dictating hour after hour with nothing between us.
Q. Had he not a book or manuscript from which he read, or dictated to you?
A. He had neither manuscript or book to read from.
Q. Could he not have had, and you not know it?
A. If he had anything of the kind he could not have concealed it from me.[14]
Martin Harris also noted that Joseph would translate with his face buried in his hat in order to use the seer stone/urim and thummim. This would make referring to a Bible or notes virtually impossible:

Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine...[15]
2) It is not clear that Joseph even owned a Bible during the Book of Mormon translation. He and Oliver Cowdery later purchased a Bible, which suggests (given Joseph's straitened financial situation) that he did not already own one.[16]

3) It is not clear that Joseph's Biblical knowledge was at all broad during the Book of Mormon translation. It seems unlikely that he would have recognized, say, Isaiah, had he encountered it on the plates. Recalled Emma Smith:

When my husband was translating the Book of Mormon, I wrote a part of it, as he dictated each sentence, word for word, and when he came to proper names he could not pronounce, or long words, he spelled them out, and while I was writing them, if I made a mistake in spelling, he would stop me and correct my spelling, although it was impossible for him to see how I was writing them down at the time. .?. . When he stopped for any purpose at any time he would, when he commenced again, begin where he left off without any hesitation, and one time while he was translating he stopped suddenly, pale as a sheet, and said, "Emma, did Jerusalem have walls around it?" When I answered, "Yes," he replied, "Oh! I was afraid I had been deceived." He had such a limited knowledge of history at the time that he did not even know that Jerusalem was surrounded by walls.[17]
Emma also noted that

Joseph Smith could neither write nor dictate a coherent and wellworded letter; let alone dictating a book like the Book of Mormon. And, though I was an active participant in the scenes that transpired, . . . it is marvelous to me, “a marvel and a wonder,” as much so as to any one else.[18]"

Upvote 0