It is not possible to take all of the creation account in Genesis literally.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On the other hand, I do believe that the work coming out of the Intelligent Design movement, such as that of Stephen Meyer, is very compelling and exciting.

Agreed. I found both Darwin's Doubt and Signature in the Cell fascinating. He has a couple more out I want to read.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I found both Darwin's Doubt and Signature in the Cell fascinating. He has a couple more out I want to read.
And another one called The Return of the God Hypothesis coming out in April that you can pre-order on Amazon now.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
The title is a bit overstated. A more tempered, and personal, version would be, "I find it very difficult to believe those who say they take all of the creation account in Genesis literally."

Why do I say that? There are metaphors in the account that cannot be taken literally. And, if they are taken literally, the interpreter runs the risk of missing the true intent of the metaphor. I'll give a couple examples.

1) In Genesis 1, God separates light from darkness. God calls one Day and the other Night. This is the 1st day. And yet, the luminaries of the sky (Sun, moon, and stars) have yet to be created. Now, I ask, "What is a literal day?" A literal day is, at the very least, a twenty four hour period in which the earth rotates on its axis-the sun being that which determines light or dark. One cannot form a literal concept of a day in regards to the first day of creation. In other words, a metaphor has creeped in somewhere. Someone might attempt to explain the separation of light from darkness by saying, "On the first day, God separated right from wrong, good from evil, good angels from fallen angels." Fine. Whatever. I have no problem someone interpreting the metaphor. That's what we are supposed to do with metaphors. But, let's at least be honest and admit it's a metaphor.

2) In Genesis 2:17 we are told of the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil." I ask myself, "What kind of tree is that? How do I form a literal conception of that kind of tree?" I challenge anyone reading my words to try, at this moment, to form a literal conception in their minds of such a tree. I contend, without having to try really hard to do so, one cannot form such a conception. Why? Because it is a metaphor. What does that fruit look like in your mind?

Here is the important part. Even if someone were able to take all of the creation account in Genesis literally, it would do them no good. What matters is not affirming its historical reliability. What matters is grasping the spiritual truths being communicated in the account, e.g. God exists, God is Creator, creation is not God, creation is good, humanity is created in the divine image, sin is a killer, humanity is in need of redemption, a promise of redemption has been made, etc.

Believing that something is historically true does not change anything. I believe Billie Holiday is the greatest jazz singer of all time, that doesn't somehow change my life. Arguments over taking the creation account in Genesis literally miss the point (including the argument I am now making). The point is the truths being communicated via the account. And, happily for those of us who accept the account, science can't communicate those truths to us, only the account in Genesis can do that.

Does what I am saying make sense?

Taking the genesis account literally works perfectly, and is in line with the Most High God.

Institution and dogma tell people how to interpret something that is already made simplistic. Human logic and reason is a handicap on understanding. This is why people are so confused.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Taking the genesis account literally works perfectly, and is in line with the Most High God.

Institution and dogma tell people how to interpret something that is already made simplistic. Human logic and reason is a handicap on understanding.

If you would like to share why you say taking it literally works perfectly, I will certainly read it.

But, as for myself, I have said about as much on it as I care to.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
If you would like to share why you say taking it literally works perfectly, I will certainly read it.

But, as for myself, I have said about as much on it as I care to.

I think if I share it would be a distraction on these forums - 20 pages of argument. And, this is even if I post the HEBREW to compare diction; it has been done before.

Human logic and reason is a chore to overcome when expressing one's self; it dissolves context and reality. On these forums it is better to say something than it is to present "evidence" and have it rejectected so blithely and easily.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I have Isaiah 55:8-9 written on a whiteboard. Its the first thing I see upon waking and a timely reminder throughout the day.

And those words have kept me in a place of child-like faith that trusts and believes the impossible is possible because He said so.

Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. —Matthew 18:3-4

I'm not sure that is the central theme to scripture, enough to make it the focus of my day.

Isaiah 55:8 Cross References Isaiah 55:8

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

Psalm 92:5
How great are your works, O Lord! Your thoughts are very deep!

Psalm 40:5
You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told.

Ezekiel 18:29
Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ O house of Israel, are my ways not just? Is it not your ways that are not just?

Hosea 14:9
Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them; for the ways of the Lord are right, and the upright walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them.

Psalm 25:10
All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

Isaiah 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Proverbs 25:3
As the heavens for height, and the earth for depth, so the heart of kings is unsearchable.

Daniel 4:37
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

Upvote 0