King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
question?? if music was as influential as people think, then why am I not a grotesque serial killing human-hater?? I have to agree with religious&reasonable here, the music really isn't the issue, it's the person listening to it. Here are some of the songs I listen to
Anaal Nathrakh - When the lion devours both dragon and child - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m440McjKYQ
LORD BELIAL - Black Winter BloodBath - YouTube
Black Horizons - Nightshade - YouTube
I listen to the most vile and gruesome sounding black and death metal (musically, that is). Of course I do have a limit, but my point is, the way the music influences people all depends on that individual. I've said this a million times, but I know Christians who listen to Gorgoroth, Akercocke and Watain, which are notoriously blasphemous/satanic black metal bands, and I've never once heard them blaspheme the Holy Spirit or do anything un-Christ-like. Why do they listen to it? No idea, but that's their right and it's between them and The Lord on how it affects them. I'm not saying music isn't influential at all, but I am saying that 1. it isn't as much of an influence as people think 2. it really all does depend on the person. Some people, like myself, really aren't affected at all by the lyrics depending on what they are, others have their faith shaken by even reading a Cannibal Corpse lyric sheet. So, yeah.

Upvote 0

hudechek

Don't let your hands be idle for God.
Aug 3, 2010
Colorado
✟15,202.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I listen to the most vile and gruesome sounding black and death metal (musically, that is). Of course I do have a limit, but my point is, the way the music influences people all depends on that individual. I've said this a million times, but I know Christians who listen to Gorgoroth, Akercocke and Watain, which are notoriously blasphemous/satanic black metal bands, and I've never once heard them blaspheme the Holy Spirit or do anything un-Christ-like. Why do they listen to it? No idea, but that's their right and it's between them and The Lord on how it affects them. I'm not saying music isn't influential at all, but I am saying that 1. it isn't as much of an influence as people think 2. it really all does depend on the person. Some people, like myself, really aren't affected at all by the lyrics depending on what they are, others have their faith shaken by even reading a Cannibal Corpse lyric sheet. So, yeah.

You say there not blasphemous to the holy spirit, are they singing the lyrics?
cuz if so just the singing of the words to satanic band could be blasphemous to the holy spirit cuz there putting Satan first. I am not sure tho. this will be slightly offensive but if you or your friends listen to satanic music and love God you might want to check your faith and theology why would listen to christian worship music then switch to satanic worship [which is what you/your friends are listening to] because the lyrics are giving satan power within the world Because A]your promoting the band, B] your sing a song of praise to Satan and denounce your lord [whether you like it our not] music influencing you to be different isn't the matter at hand it is however, are you distancing yourself from God, because I bet you if you were Jesus and you loved us, and then someone claims they love you to but listen to music that says the opposite that would hurt, but you would still love that someone. listing to that music is basically spitting in God's face and saying he isnt worth the honer he deserves.

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You say there not blasphemous to the holy spirit, are they singing the lyrics?
cuz if so just the singing of the words to satanic band could be blasphemous to the holy spirit cuz there putting Satan first. I am not sure tho. this will be slightly offensive but if you or your friends listen to satanic music and love God you might want to check your faith and theology why would listen to christian worship music then switch to satanic worship [which is what you/your friends are listening to] because the lyrics are giving satan power within the world Because A]your promoting the band, B] your sing a song of praise to Satan and denounce your lord [whether you like it our not] music influencing you to be different isn't the matter at hand it is however, are you distancing yourself from God, because I bet you if you were Jesus and you loved us, and then someone claims they love you to but listen to music that says the opposite that would hurt, but you would still love that someone. listing to that music is basically spitting in God's face and saying he isnt worth the honer he deserves.
no, they don't sing the lyrics because they can't understand a darn thing of what they say, even with the lyric sheet they can't follow the vocal rhythms trust me you'll know what I mean, in fact even though I detest the band I'm going to post a Marduk song and let you listen and see what I mean.
Marduk - Throne of Rats - YouTube
could you even understand Mortuus (the vocalist)?? I couldn't. I said I have my limits, I won't listen to songs that openly worship satan or talk about outright killing God, etc. I don't care if it's all dark and what not as long as it isn't Deicide lyrics. I listen to Bloodbath and Cannibal Corpse which are both very violent and bombastic death metal bands from Sweden and America, but they don't talk about killing God or worshiping satan or anything. It hasn't harmed my faith at all, but some of Bloodbath's lyrics are anti-Christian, so those songs are simply the ones I omit from my music library. Goatwhore for example, I have their album A Haunting Curse on my iPod, have no problems with it musically, don't exactly agree with what Ben Falgoust is screaming so I don't sing the lyrics. But I will absolutely not buy their other album Carving Out the Eyes of God for obvious reasons lool. And I don't purchase these band's music, I download all of my stuff. I do, however, have a few band shirts, humorous metal shirts, The Faceless hoodie and a grim reaper shirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chilaha
Upvote 0

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But I will absolutely not buy their other album Carving Out the Eyes of God for obvious reasons lool. And I don't purchase these band's music, I download all of my stuff. I do, however, have a few band shirts, humorous metal shirts, The Faceless hoodie and a grim reaper shirt.
Great answer... and I love the part about Carving Out the Eyes of God, lol. (not that it was about carving out God's eyes but because you said I don't buy it for obvious reasons) But, IMO any song with bad lyrics wether you can hear them or not should be avoided. Thats just me though, everyone should do what they feel is right according to their faith. (Only in these kinds of situations though obviously)
Chilaha

Last edited:
Reactions: Habakk
Upvote 0

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have a few quick questions about music too...
1) I like the song 21st Centure Breakdown by Green Day. Part of the lyrics goes like this "I once was lost but never was found". Do you think because they are dissing Christianity I should avoid this song. I'm just thinking if I don't believe that is it ok to listen to?
2)In lighters by eminem he says he "swears to God..", the song is clean but is this a reason not to listen to it?
Thanks Chilaha

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This whole music thing is really up to you and God. It is subjective truth. If you are questioning it in any way, and your conscience starts to say no, its the Holy Spirit telling you to knock it off. So until that point, listen to whatever you want, up until the point that the Holy Spirit says no. Then stop immediatly.

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a big fan of Rap music. And I struggle with the idea of me listening to it being bad. Thoughts?

Nope! Not until bad, obscene and utterably shameful words are thrown into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
no, they don't sing the lyrics because they can't understand a darn thing of what they say, even with the lyric sheet they can't follow the vocal rhythms trust me you'll know what I mean, in fact even though I detest the band I'm going to post a Marduk song and let you listen and see what I mean.

I still like to look up the lyrics and see if any meaning is in the song. If so I want to fully appreciate and respect the song. :D

\m/ sings: "I want to be brutal XD" Seriously though, I head banged to the whole song.

212px-Little_Julliette_Sarmangsadandle.jpg

could you even understand Mortuus (the vocalist)?? I couldn't. I said I have my limits, I won't listen to songs that openly worship satan or talk about outright killing God, etc. I don't care if it's all dark and what not as long as it isn't Deicide lyrics. I listen to Bloodbath and Cannibal Corpse which are both very violent and bombastic death metal bands from Sweden and America, but they don't talk about killing God or worshiping satan or anything. It hasn't harmed my faith at all, but some of Bloodbath's lyrics are anti-Christian, so those songs are simply the ones I omit from my music library. Goatwhore for example, I have their album A Haunting Curse on my iPod, have no problems with it musically, don't exactly agree with what Ben Falgoust is screaming so I don't sing the lyrics. But I will absolutely not buy their other album Carving Out the Eyes of God for obvious reasons lool. And I don't purchase these band's music, I download all of my stuff. I do, however, have a few band shirts, humorous metal shirts, The Faceless hoodie and a grim reaper shirt.

My personal belief is to support the band by buying their albums and going to their shows. If you want to support the record company buy the music on itunes, but if you want to support the band buy music at their shows. Cool merchandise you have though XD.

Sorry I just couldn't resist to comment. I find it funny that when someone says they like rap, metal always intervenes.

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No music is really..."satanic"

I agree most of the rap you hear is trash, with a few exceptions if you actually understand (I.E Wiz Khalifa/Drak - Started From The Bottom)

But if you want what you call "secular" rap - look no further than the living legend of Nujabes/Shing02 The luv(sic) series is really rad. All 6 parts are amazing~

Nujabes ft Shing02 - Luv(sic) Part 6 (Grand Finale) - 2013 - YouTube

Upvote 0

Gath

Jan 20, 2012
United States
✟7,838.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you are listening to music correctly, you should interpret it in a way that is relevant/has meaning to you. There is almost, if not, an infinite number of ways to interpret any song. If you are interpreting the music in a negative way then you are the problem, not the artists/band you are listening to.

I think that's a bit harsh. It's not like you have some kind of problem if you dislike a certain kind of music. After all, isn't one of those infinite interpretations 'I don't like this type of music'? What's wrong with that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TimeIsNotMuch

Sep 23, 2013
✟7,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depends what kind i guess? If what your hearing is influencing your thoughts or actions then i guess yes it could be? I listen to quite alot of Hip Hop but i know where i go too far. A lot of mainstream stuff these days isnt good as it influences bad thoughts and influences.. but many from the past do . probably be best to actually learn about the person you are listening to to see what kind of message theyre trying to potray.

Upvote 0

Philing

Oct 5, 2013
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are just like me.I also love rap music but one day I decided to delete all the secular rap music from my I pod because of the bad thought it brought.Few months later, i realized that if I listen to it they still sound good but the lyrics doesn't seem to affect me anymore and I think this is happening because I was able get over it.I think you should leave for sometime because a man with good thought brings forth good deed while a man with bad thought will surely bring forth bad deed

Upvote 0

TimeIsNotMuch

Sep 23, 2013
✟7,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I highly consider Christian Berdahl's music seminar called 'The Distraction Dilemma'

Quote from sheepcall. com:

The Distraction Dilemma Music Seminar with Christian Berdahl exposes the traps and methods of Satan in an easy to understand, common sense series using the Bible, Spirit of Prophecy, science and even the music industry itself!

Worth the watch. It teaches you about origins of music as well and has many examples relating to *some* mainstream music. So so worth it :thumbsup: :idea: :idea:

Upvote 0