Issues with creation

Peregryne

Sep 19, 2012
✟7,622.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You are picking and chosing and avoiding the scriptures that support my view. Yes I pick and chose also. One can suggest the fire that is never quenced is about the oblivion being complete. The story of Lazarus and the rich man is a teaching story. It appears to be teaching the poor are not in disfavour with God simply by being poor and the rich are not in favour with God simply by being rich. It does not appear to be for the purpose of teaching that heaven will be like being in the arms of a sheepherder nor do I believe it is for the purpose of teaching the details of hell. I don't believe in an inerrant bible and I do believe some parts are simply wrong. I don't believe God tortures anyone after this life or in this life either. I don't believe God ever kills anyone nor do I believe God ever commanded anyone to kill someone else. I reject therefore many parts of the bible as true.

I was under the impression that the Bible was the entire foundation of Christianity. How is it Christianity to only believe the parts you like? Isn't that kind of like making your own religion?

Upvote 0

Peregryne

Sep 19, 2012
✟7,622.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Right, it's been awhile since I've thought of this analogy. The old man does say if they open the front door they cannot come back in. They would have to experience and know about evil, regardless of the good. It wasn't so much of curiosity but obedience. It was one rule, and they had plenty of other options.
Why deny them that experiential knowledge? Let them explore the world in all its violence and horror for themselves and then come back once they'd decided that the house was better? That way it would be their choice to be there, not the result of an ultimatum, and they wouldn't have to live out their lives wondering what was beyond the door.

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why deny them that experiential knowledge? Let them explore the world in all its violence and horror for themselves and then come back once they'd decided that the house was better? That way it would be their choice to be there, not the result of an ultimatum, and they wouldn't have to live out their lives wondering what was beyond the door.
Why would the old man want them to experience evil? I'm saying the Garden was littered with decay and death. According to my analogy it would have been like all the criminals who were outside committing crimes and causing evil came in the house and took it over. So, there wouldn't be anything to come back to except the same violence and horror.

It would have been their choice to be there anyway as the possibility of rebellion was available. They knew what was behind the door, but did not know to the extent of not experiencing evil.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I was under the impression that the Bible was the entire foundation of Christianity. How is it Christianity to only believe the parts you like? Isn't that kind of like making your own religion?
Everyone picks and choses. Most deny doing but do it anyway. Even the critics of Christianity pick and chose when they look for things to use in their arguments against Christianity. Also consider that there were Christians before the Bible existed, so there is a foundation to Christianity other than the bible. Finally it is our duty to own our religion and not just adopt what other people tell us, so yes we should make our own religion and not just rely on the religion other people have created. We will make mistakes, but at least they will be our own mistakes and not the mistakes others make.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everyone picks and choses. Most deny doing but do it anyway. Even the critics of Christianity pick and chose when they look for things to use in their arguments against Christianity. Also consider that there were Christians before the Bible existed, so there is a foundation to Christianity other than the bible. Finally it is our duty to own our religion and not just adopt what other people tell us, so yes we should make our own religion and not just rely on the religion other people have created. We will make mistakes, but at least they will be our own mistakes and not the mistakes others make.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0