Servant of the Lord
May 19, 2008
NY
Visit site
✟15,467.00
Faith
Christian
The Holy Bible, NIV
Ge 22:2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.

Genesis 22:2 (King James Version)
And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

Ishmael was older than Isaac.. so why would GOD say Isaac is Abraham's only Son?

Abraham "The Father of Many Nations" was known as Abram when he sinned against GOD by fathering Ishmael through Abram's wife's handmaiden (Hagar).

Ishmael and Hagar were tossed out into the desert because Ishmael was becoming a terror and a negative influence for Isaac.

With Love,
- Jefell

www.GETSHOOK.com

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Holy Bible, NIV
Ge 22:2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.

Genesis 22:2 (King James Version)
And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

Ishmael was older than Isaac.. so why would GOD say Isaac is Abraham's only Son?

Abraham "The Father of Many Nations" was known as Abram when he sinned against GOD by fathering Ishmael through Abram's wife's handmaiden (Hagar).

Ishmael and Hagar were tossed out into the desert because Ishmael was becoming a terror and a negative influence for Isaac.

With Love,
- Jefell
Ishmael was not the son of the promise. If you read the story in the bible, you will see how he came about. (Through the disobedience of Abraham and Sarah, who were too impatient to wait on God).

Also, islam cannot prove that Ishmael started its religion. That is a tradition with them, not a fact. Also, Islam started with mohammed, thousands of years after Ishmael. Ishmael should not be mentioned in the same breath with islam.

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings!

We Baha'is stipulate that both Ismael and Isaac were indeed Abraham's sons, and also that the story line somehow got screwed up. Fortunatley, its spiritual message comes through regardless!

Regards, :)

Bruce
Ishmael was not the son God promised to Abraham and Sarah. He was the son of impatience and self-help. Isaac was the promised son and came through Sarah, which God had promised, and He keeps His promises.

Feel free to think that your god is capable of screwing up a story line; my God is incapable of that. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greetings!

We Baha'is stipulate that both Ismael and Isaac were indeed Abraham's sons, and also that the story line somehow got screwed up. Fortunatley, its spiritual message comes through regardless!

Regards, :)

Bruce

The first thing that you should do is to read and understand the scripture that you contest before making these accusations without base. I really hate these types of claims because they don't have any real thought behind them. They are just thrown out there. Bring some substance with your accusation.

Secondly, how would you know if the spiritual message got through? Did you conclude that from Christian and Jewish writings?

If you read and understand about the historical perspective, you can understand why Isaac was called Abraham's only son. It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived. The Code allowed for children from handmaids to be legal heirs; but their inheritance was not guarenteed and could be revoked under certain conditions. The term "only son" refers to the legal status of Isaac and not just genetically. According to Hammurabi Code, the only legal son of Abraham was Isaac, thus the saying "only son".

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The first thing that you should do is to read and understand the scripture that you contest before making these accusations without base. I really hate these types of claims because they don't have any real thought behind them. They are just thrown out there. Bring some substance with your accusation.

Secondly, how would you know if the spiritual message got through? Did you conclude that from Christian and Jewish writings?

If you read and understand about the historical perspective, you can understand why Isaac was called Abraham's only son. It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived. The Code allowed for children from handmaids to be legal heirs; but their inheritance was not guarenteed and could be revoked under certain conditions. The term "only son" refers to the legal status of Isaac and not just genetically. According to Hammurabi Code, the only legal son of Abraham was Isaac, thus the saying "only son".
Well-said. You are right that understanding what is read is imperative. I am unable to associate this practice with muslims and a few others, as well.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The only claim made by Bruce above is that Abraham was to sacrificed His son..

The argument between Christians and Muslims is which one.

If you read the Bible it says that there was a fourteen year difference between Ishmael and Isaac. For fourteen years Abraham had only one son... Ishmael..

In Genesis 20:1 it says:

After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."

2 He said, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love....

Now reading this verse there are at least two things we should ask...

(1)

After Isaac was born Abraham had two sons so how is it that Isaac was His only son?

and Abraham loved Ishmael as well as Isaac.

In Genesis 17:18

And Abraham said to God, "O that Ishmael might live in your sight!"

So we know that Ishmael was beloved of Abraham.

(2)

How is it that Isaac could be the only son beloved of Abraham?

After the millenia has passed and the tensions have arisen between the descendants of Ishmael and Isaac

(3)

what is the true significance of the story?

That Abraham was asked to sacrifice His son and a son was the most precious offering He could offer...

Anyone who submits themselves to the will of God is a "Muslim" as in Arabic "Muslim" means "one who surrenders to God."

- Art

Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom

If you read the Bible it says that there was a fourteen year difference between Ishmael and Isaac. For fourteen years Abraham had only one son... Ishmael..

After these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."

(1)

After Isaac was born Abraham had two sons so how is it that Isaac was His only son?

(2)

After the millenia has passed and the tensions have arisen between the descendants of Ishmael and Isaac

(3)

That Abraham was asked to sacrifice His son and a son was the most precious offering He could offer...

Anyone who submits themselves to the will of God is a "Muslim" as in Arabic "Muslim" means "one who surrenders to God."

- Art

The term "only son" refers to the fact that Isaac was the only son of legal heir to Abraham's estate. Handmaids could become wives under certain legal conditions and their sons could become heirs if the father announced in public that he was being responsible for that child. He had to say something like "This is my son". In other words, it had to be witnessed in public to make it binding. At that point, any son from a handmaid could be considered an heir. If that were the case, then Ishmael would have been counted as a son for legal purposes. It is not all about genetics. It is also about legality and customs too.

170If his wife bear sons to a man, or his maid-servant have borne sons, and the father while still living says to the children whom his maid-servant has borne: "My sons," and he count them with the sons of his wife; if then the father die, then the sons of the wife and of the maid-servant shall divide the paternal property in common. The son of the wife is to partition and choose.

This is taken from: http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MESO/CODE.HTM

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings!

Feel free to think that your god is capable of screwing up a story line; my God is incapable of that. Best of luck.

You couldn't be more wrong!

I never said God screwed anything up; He doesn't!

HUMANS, however, are eminently capable of doing so, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Peace,

Bruce

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

(1)

(2)

(3)

- Art
Why do you defend Ishmael? He has nothing to do with the beginning of islam or any other religion.

Abraham was asked to sacrifice the son of the promise; that is directly related to God sacrificing HIS son of the promise. Ishmael was the son of the flesh, the handiwork of scheming women and acceptance by an eager man.

God said He would give a son to Abraham and Sarah, and He did.

I submit to my God; I do not recognize the muslim god. He is capricious and evil and doesn't mind letting all and everyone know he is a liar. No thank you.

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings!

You couldn't be more wrong!

I never said God screwed anything up; He doesn't!

HUMANS, however, are eminently capable of doing so, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Peace,

Bruce
See post 4. If I misunderstood what you meant by screwed up, I apologize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings.

The first thing that you should do is to read and understand the scripture that you contest before making these accusations without base. I really hate these types of claims because they don't have any real thought behind them.

You are nothing if not presumptuous! You know NOTHING WHATEVER of what I have or haven't read, and are yourself making, to use your term, "accusations without base" as a result! They have PLENTY of thought behind them, thankyouverymuch, little as you know this.

While I in no way intend to boast, I've quite possibly read more scripture than you have, BTW, and endeavor every day to understand it better, as I hope we all do!

And the fact that my conclusion differs from yours is no reason whatever to reject anything I say. I have good (and to my mind (after due examination and reflection, sufficient) reason for holding the beliefs and views I do.

[quote/Secondly, how would you know if the spiritual message got through? Did you conclude that from Christian and Jewish writings?

Only in part. IME are other sources of guidance that you apparently aren't familiar with.

But my point here doesn't depend on this because it was that the spiritual message of the story comes through unaffected REGARDLESS of which son was the center of the story! Abraham's sacrifice and test holds in either case.

[/quote]If you read and understand about the historical perspective, you can understand why Isaac was called Abraham's only son. It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived. . . .[/quote]

Whether you're correct about this or not (and you may well be), the fact remains that Art's explanation also fits perfectly while obviating the need to invoke Hammurabic law! The oldest son could clearly also have been called Abraham's only son for a considerable time!

Q. E. D.

Peace,

Bruce

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Greetings.

You are nothing if not presumptuous! You know NOTHING WHATEVER of what I have or haven't read, and are yourself making, to use your term, "accusations without base" as a result! They have PLENTY of thought behind them, thankyouverymuch, little as you know this.

While I in no way intend to boast, I've quite possibly read more scripture than you have, BTW, and endeavor every day to understand it better, as I hope we all do!

And the fact that my conclusion differs from yours is no reason whatever to reject anything I say. I have good (and to my mind (after due examination and reflection, sufficient) reason for holding the beliefs and views I do.

[quote/Secondly, how would you know if the spiritual message got through? Did you conclude that from Christian and Jewish writings?

Only in part. IME are other sources of guidance that you apparently aren't familiar with.

But my point here doesn't depend on this because it was that the spiritual message of the story comes through unaffected REGARDLESS of which son was the center of the story! Abraham's sacrifice and test holds in either case.
If you read and understand about the historical perspective, you can understand why Isaac was called Abraham's only son. It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived. . . .[/quote]

Whether you're correct about this or not (and you may well be), the fact remains that Art's explanation also fits perfectly while obviating the need to invoke Hammurabic law! The oldest son could clearly also have been called Abraham's only son for a considerable time!

Q. E. D.

Peace,

Bruce[/quote]
I'm sorry, but I deeply disagree with you regarding the son. He MUST ABSOLUTELY AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT BE THE SON OF THE PROMISE. And Isaac was that son. Or the promise means nothing, nor does the promise of the Son of God mean anything, if another could have taken HIS place, or Isaac's place. This is what you misunderstand. It MUST BE THE RIGHT SON.

I do hope you consider further and study as you say you do. God bless.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He MUST ABSOLUTELY AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT BE THE SON OF THE PROMISE. And Isaac was that son.

So sorry, but this is assertion without evidence!

Nor is shouting necessary.

And as I already pointed out, Art's point holds equally well.

(And I do indeed have evidence for my position whether YOU accept it or not.)

May God bless you, too! :)

Peace,

Bruce

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Someone above wrote:

"It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived..."

Someone brought this up earlier that Abraham lived under the Hammurabic Code...

The problem with this idea is that no one really knows for sure when Abraham lived...

Tradition does place Him around "Ur of the Chaldees" possibly and moving to Haran and then to the Holy Land..

The Chaldean Empire was at it's height around the seventh century BCE but if Abraham had lived then it would mean He was after Moses according to Bible chronology.

The law Code of Hammurabi was supposed to be in place around 1760 BCE in ancient Babylon..

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi

Ur was south of Babylon in the delta area..of what today is the Persian Gulf.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur#History

Ur predates Hammurabi by centuries in time.

Haran is north of Babylon and of course ancient Canaan was far to the west of Babylon and Arabia was to the south west of Babylon.

So it's really a "stretch" I think to assume Abraham was under the the Hammurabic Code I think..

- Art:wave:

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So sorry, but this is assertion without evidence!

Nor is shouting necessary.

And as I already pointed out, Art's point holds equally well.

(And I do indeed have evidence for my position whether YOU accept it or not.)

May God bless you, too! :)

Peace,

Bruce
As you wish! Caps for emphasis, not shouting. When I shout, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0

Luzeiro

Aug 14, 2008
Earth-side of heaven...
✟15,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone above wrote:

"It had to do with the Hammurabi code which was enforced at the time and place where Abraham lived..."

The problem with this idea is that no one really knows for sure when Abraham lived...

Tradition does place Him around "Ur of the Chaldees" possibly and moving to Haran and then to the Holy Land..

The Chaldean Empire was at it's height around the seventh century BCE but if Abraham had lived then it would mean He was after Moses according to Bible chronology.

The law Code of Hammurabi was supposed to be in place around 1760 BCE in ancient Babylon..

See

See

Haran is north of Babylon and of course ancient Canaan was far to the west of Babylon and Arabia was to the south west of Babylon.

So it's really a "stretch" I think to assume Abraham was under the the Hammurabic Code I think..

I wonder if you can know how things travel over time and space? Perhaps not.

Upvote 0

peaceful soul

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
✟7,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
originally posted by Arthra

Someone above wrote:

If no one knows, the possibility of Abraham being under the Code is still a possibility. Shall you concede that? That would not help your case, but it would not hinder it either. There would be no advantage for your case or mine.

You are correct. There does not appear to be any historical evidence or scholarly claims against this. It is widely accepted.

I didn't really check into that, but it has no bearing on what I did find out, which supports my case.

See

This is what I have seen so far to be true.

See

I did not try to confirm that, but I did read somewhere that it was near what is now called Palestine.

I did read that it was probably destroyed (circa 2000 BC/BCE)before the time that Hammurabi's Code was in force, (circa 1700 BC/BCE).

I won't contest this one since it is not really relevant to my response.

I will agree with you on that point unless I can find something that might shed some more light on this subject. However, your conclusion doesn't prove that Abraham was not under law that allowed him to claim inheritance through his legal son, Isaac.

There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the region of Mesopotamia was under heavy influence of Sumerian Law, which the Hammurabi Code shows great parallels to. Sumerian law is purported to have existed from about 40th century to 18th century BC/BCE, which puts it in the time line that Ur was destroyed presumably the first time. Your point on Ur being reconstructed after 1000 BC/BCE would not be a problem in that case. The time line is as follows:

============================================​

5000 B.C.: Nomads from the area that is now Iran begin to settle in southeastern Mesopotamia. These early settlers plant wheat and barley and tame animals.

3500 B.C.: The Sumerians settle along the Euphrates and begin to build ziggurats (temples). They also create a crude writing system.

3000 B.C.: Nippur, Ur, and Eridu become the leading Sumerian cities. Sumerian writing evolves to include cuneiform letters.

2750 B.C.: Gilgamesh, the hero of Sumerian legends, becomes king of the city-state Uruk.

2250 B.C.: Ur-Nammu, king of Ur, creates one of the world's earliest law systems. The new laws call for the greater protection of widows, orphans, and the poor.

2000-1900 B.C.: Foreign invaders conquer areas of Mesopotamia. Ur, the most-advanced Sumerian city-state, is destroyed,

1800 B.C.: Hammurabi ascends to the throne of Babylonia. He unites all the city-states under one kingdom and introduces his own law code.

Reference: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Life+in+Mesapotomia:+what+was+life+like+in+the+world's+first+cities%3F-a0107123820

Subtopic: MESOPOTAMIA TIME LINE

==========================================​

My points are the following:

Although it does not seem reasonable that Abraham lived in 1700s BC during the time that Hammurabi's Code appears to have been enforced, the influence from earlier laws on Hammurabi's code are very noticeable and are compelling enough to infer that the same or similar laws with regards to marriage, inheritance, and the home were still enforced.

SumerianLaw was enforced in Ur at the time of Abraham's presumed move to Ur.

These two points show that the same conclusion should be drawn, although one of my first premises does appear to be wrong. That premise being that it was Hammurabi's code instead of Sumerical law that influenced the life of Abrham. So, if we just insert Sumerian law in the place of Hammurabi, we still have the same or very similar outcome in regards to the inheritance law as will be evidenced below.

In Hammurabi's 282 case laws include economic provisions (prices, tariffs, trade, and commerce), family law (marriage and divorce), as well as criminal law (assault, theft) and civil law (slavery, debt). Penalties varied according to the status of the offenders and the circumstances of the offences.

In Hammurabi's 282 case laws include economic provisions (prices, tariffs, trade, and commerce), family law (marriage and divorce), as well as criminal law (assault, theft) and civil law (slavery, debt). Penalties varied according to the status of the offenders and the circumstances of the offences.

The background of the code is a body of Sumerian law under which civilised communities had lived for many centuries. The existing text is in the Akkadian (Semitic) language; but, even though no Sumerian version is known to survive, the code was meant to be applied to all parts of Mesopotamia. We can notice the step between the small courts of elders and the established judges in town as for instance in these codes:

3. If any one bring an accusation of any crime before the elders, and does not prove what he has charged, he shall, if it be a capital offense charged, be put to death.

4. If he satisfy the elders to impose a fine of grain or money, he shall receive the fine that the action produces.

5. If a judge try a case, reach a decision, and present his judgment in writing; if later error shall appear in his decision, and it be through his own fault, then he shall pay twelve times the fine set by him in the case. And he shall be publicly removed from the judge's bench, and never again shall he sit there to render judgement.

6. If any one steal the property of a temple or of the court, he shall be put to death, and also the one who receives the stolen thing from him shall be put to death.

Now let us look at woman's situation in Mesopotamia according to the Babylonian law that was using existing parts of elder Sumerian laws. Codes 127 - 187 of the 282 codes are for the protection of woman and indirectly of the child. The normal dowry was assurance for "child food" in case mother was left alone and the children inherited her. Her sons inherited her and daughters got dowry. With no children the dowry was passed back to her brothers.

137. If a man wish to separate from a woman who has borne him children, or from his wife who has borne him children: then he shall give that wife her dowry, and a part of the usufruct of field, garden, and property, so that she can rear her children. When she has brought up her children, a portion of all that is given to the children, equal as that of one son, shall be given to her. She may then marry the man of her heart.

138. If a man wishes to separate from his wife who has borne him no children, he shall give her the amount of her purchase money and the dowry which she brought from her father's house, and let her go.

139. If there was no purchase price he shall give her one mina of gold as a gift of release.

140. If he be a freed man he shall give her one-third of a mina of gold.

Reference: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~catshaman/0inanna/0law.htm

Sub topic: Comment on Hammurabi's law codes

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your response..

and your honesty... Since we agree it is not easy to place Abraham chronologically ...

Most would I think agree that Abraham was nomadic and roamed around with His flocks over the fertile crescent so in my belief He wouldn't have been subject to Sumerian, Babylonian laws any way.

He is also believed to have been an exile fro m the Sumerian/ Babylonian area. There is not enough to really conclusively say though that He was under Sumerian/Hammurabi's laws.

- Art

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.