Is what is happening in Gaza nowadays within the ambit of the "Just war" theory?

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, there are only two kinds of wars, namely God ordered wars and Caeser ordered wars.

I actually provided an answer to all questions of this kind but somehow banned from almost all Christian Youtube channels I know of. They allow Satan's pride to act on them, while we all know that God can speak through any Christians. However they choose to reject a better answer in my honest opinion.

Only the God ordered wars are deemed just wars as there's no innocent death. All other Caeser ordered wars are with innocent death tolls. They can't claim to be just along the death of the innocent people.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In terms of moral justification for going to war, I'd say that yes, Israel's war is a just war.

In terms of morally acceptable conduct during war, it's much more questionable. There have been huge numbers of civilian casualties, so I think the current war does not meet the morally acceptable standards for "jus in bello". (I acknowledge that this is made more complicated by Hamas storing arms in and under civilian buildings, sigh.)

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To me, there are only two kinds of wars, namely God ordered wars and Caeser ordered wars.

I actually provided an answer to all questions of this kind but somehow banned from almost all Christian Youtube channels I know of. They allow Satan's pride to act on them, while we all know that God can speak through any Christians. However they choose to reject a better answer in my honest opinion.

Only the God ordered wars are deemed just wars as there's no innocent death. All other Caeser ordered wars are with innocent death tolls. They can't claim to be just along the death of the innocent people.
I am unsure how you determine if a war has been Divinely Commanded unless you wish to limit that to the wars described in the Old Testament. I recognise this was an issue that lacked clarity in Augustine as well in Civitas Dei.
For a long time, Christians have held differing views of "a just war". Is what is happening in Gaza nowadays within the ambit of a "Just war"?
There is a sense in which Israel has a claim for a 'Just War' in the wake of the events of October 7, and the ongoing failure to return all the hostages. There are however limits to that, in terms of how far they can go. On the other hand, the long-running issues surrounding what passes for Palestinian Lands, and the respect for that (settlements on the West Bank etc) would be presented by the Palestinians in terms of just war theory. Weighing these in the balance will no doubt be the task of historians in time to come.

For the moment we simply pray that human being might be just a bit nicer to each other.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am unsure how you determine if a war has been Divinely Commanded unless you wish to limit that to the wars described in the Old Testament. I recognise this was an issue that lacked clarity in Augustine as well in Civitas Dei.

There is a sense in which Israel has a claim for a 'Just War' in the wake of the events of October 7, and the ongoing failure to return all the hostages. There are however limits to that, in terms of how far they can go. On the other hand, the long-running issues surrounding what passes for Palestinian Lands, and the respect for that (settlements on the West Bank etc) would be presented by the Palestinians in terms of just war theory. Weighing these in the balance will no doubt be the task of historians in time to come.

For the moment we simply pray that human being might be just a bit nicer to each other.

Divine commanded is all about soul calculation. To God, no soul is dead then it's a just war. Canaanites are the already dead, Satan made use of them to fight again Israel such that they could eventually outnumber the Jews to stop God's salvation to today's humans (their souls). At the same time, the Jews are not always loyal to God. God has only a very narrow window to destroy Satan't plot to stop God's salvation plan. It's only the Joshua generation but not even Moses' can do such a job.

Human wars could only mean that without the capability to calculate how many will suffer from the second death but rip off their rights to choose Jesus within their normal life span.

I don't know why the above theory is banned from all Christian Youtube channels I know of though. If they allow Satan to take control of them, like the Canaanites did, then so be it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
For a long time, Christians have held differing views of "a just war". Is what is happening in Gaza nowadays within the ambit of a "Just war"?
A just war is a war that is fought for just cause, using just means. We don't know the means used usually until afterwards. So while it might be fought for just cause we won't know until afterwards if just means were used in every instance.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the main framework for justifying a war: ( derived from those through the centuries who addressed " just war theory")
Just Cause:
  • The war must be fought in response to a clear and serious injustice, such as self-defense against aggression, protecting the innocent, or stopping oppression.
  • Revenge or expansion of territory are generally not considered just causes.
Right Authority:
  • The war must be declared and waged by a legitimate authority figure, typically a government leader.
  • Individual citizens typically don't have the right to initiate warfare on their own.
Right Intention:
  • The ultimate goal of the war must be to restore peace and justice, not personal gain or conquest.
  • Hatred, vengeance, or greed shouldn't motivate the war.
Proportionality:
  • The force used must be proportional to the injustice suffered and not inflict excessive harm on innocent civilians.
  • Brutality and indiscriminate violence are condemned.
Last Resort:
  • All other peaceful means of resolving the conflict must be exhausted before resorting to war.
Just Conduct:
  • The war must be fought with respect for human rights and the rules of war, avoiding unnecessary cruelty or targeting civilians.

This may help answer your question.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0