Is wearing makeup and looking pretty wrong?

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wonderful, wonderful topic!

I made a couple posts about this sort of thing a while back, about wearing nice clothes, working out and even women wearing make-up. In a sense, it is very much deceptive and prideful and vain. That was what I got out of it.

I'm interested in seeing people's responses to your post. It's a very thoughtful question. I hope you get the answers you seek! :)

I don't think there is any thing wrong with that as long as it is tasteful. Make up and looking pretty is fine, why not!

The only issue would be what style, know what I mean? Certainly too much is not really attractive, remember Tammy Faye Baker? But certainly there is a acceptable level. But don't ask me where that is because I'm just a guy :)

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

flowerforever7 said:
Hi,

I have a talent for makeup artistry and photography but I feel that the things these lead to things are in opposition to what the Scriptures teach.

For example, the Scriptures tell us not to practice deceit. Makeup essentially is a form of deceit, yes? It is different than arranging your hair into a style (you are not altering what God gave you just arranging what exists in a certain way), or wearing nice clothes (we have to wear clothes anyway). The way that it is different is that makeup covers up what God gave you thus altering the way something that is natural should appear. This is similar in principle to hair coloring. It is changing the way God made you, but presenting yourself "normally" into every day society. Is this not a form of deceit and possibly an insult to God because you are not accepting the way He made you?

The second issue is this: 1 Timothy 2:9-10 says "likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, BUT with what is proper for women who profess godliness--with good works."

Galatians 5:26 says "Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."

Artistically beautifying someone, and photographing it, can lead to conceit in a person, and provoke other people to envy. Also, the Bible repeatedly tells us that we should not exalt ourselves but humble ourselves.

Isn't beautifying yourself essentially exalting yourself? You are taking what is natural and changing it to look a certain way before other people. You are also calling attention to yourself. There is also a potential for a descent into vanity, leading other people in that direction, and also potential for people to "worship" outer beauty. It is about self.

Wearing makeup seems to be a form of deceit, and looking pretty seems to be a form of self-exaltation and vanity. I am talented at makeup artistry and photography, and I really don't want to throw away my talents. However, it seems like the direction these things lead to are in opposition to the values taught in Scripture (being truthful, honoring others above yourselves, being modest for women *(and modest doesn't just mean not being revealing it also means not being "showy"), and we are to be about substance and not what is vain). I know the teaching of "using your talents" is highly exalted in Christiandom... however, it seems like these particular "talents" of mine lead to ideologies that are in opposition to the values taught in the Scriptures. Is it time for me to throw out these "talents"? Or, is their something I am just missing in the Scriptures? If so, please enlighten me and if you can provide Scripture to back it up I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

This is great!

My own personal opinion and belief is that there is nothing wrong with being beautiful in your appearance and style. I believe in modesty but I also believe in being attractive to your spouse and your self.

The scriptures I believe warn of focusing on the outward appearance and denying the importance of the spiritual beauty needed to be in Christ.

I think that the most important thing is to develop and work on your inside spiritual characteristics of Christ and allow those things to be seen on the outside. Then once that is complete, beautify your outside. If your inside is spiritually beautiful then the way you beautify yourself on the outside, will line up with the Spirit of Christ and be pleasing to Him.

You, as a creative make up artist, can do what you do in the Lord and for the Lord and help women recognize their beauty on the outside in a modest, modern fitting way that glorifies God, brings their beauty out and makes them feel good about themselves.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see anything wrong with wearing makeup or caring about your appearance as long as it doesn't become worshiped or an obsession. If it starts becoming number one in your life over God that is an issue. I personally like to look nice and I do so for my husband and my marriage every husband has things that keep their attention my husband likes me to look nice. I am the same with him and in marriage you need to stay attracted to one another. When I go out or conduct myself around other men I am aware of not coming off as sexy or flirtatious in any way and I keep myself covered.

I am about to enter the military and we have to wear camies pretty much all the time so me being feminine is going to go away a lot the little bit of makeup I can wear is the only thing I will have to hold onto. =]

Upvote 0

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>

I think a lot of this has to do with culture and upbringing. I admit, that sort of style would offend me as well, but really what is so offensive? A man can go out side shirtless and no one accuses him of being sinful. A woman goes out with top perhaps too low and is accused of being a tramp. The USA is really a unique country in that it is one of the most advanced technological nations yet when it comes to sexuality has many hang-ups.

I admit, common sense should prevail. You don't dress like your going to the beach if your going to Church. A time and place for every thing. But can't help to wonder why we have such serious sexual hangups and that can't really be healthy either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

I have a talent for makeup artistry and photography but I feel that the things these lead to things are in opposition to what the Scriptures teach.

For example, the Scriptures tell us not to practice deceit. Makeup essentially is a form of deceit, yes? It is different than arranging your hair into a style (you are not altering what God gave you just arranging what exists in a certain way), or wearing nice clothes (we have to wear clothes anyway). The way that it is different is that makeup covers up what God gave you thus altering the way something that is natural should appear. This is similar in principle to hair coloring. It is changing the way God made you, but presenting yourself "normally" into every day society. Is this not a form of deceit and possibly an insult to God because you are not accepting the way He made you?

The second issue is this: 1 Timothy 2:9-10 says "likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, BUT with what is proper for women who profess godliness&#8212;with good works."

Galatians 5:26 says "Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."

Artistically beautifying someone, and photographing it, can lead to conceit in a person, and provoke other people to envy. Also, the Bible repeatedly tells us that we should not exalt ourselves but humble ourselves.

Isn't beautifying yourself essentially exalting yourself? You are taking what is natural and changing it to look a certain way before other people. You are also calling attention to yourself. There is also a potential for a descent into vanity, leading other people in that direction, and also potential for people to "worship" outer beauty. It is about self.

Wearing makeup seems to be a form of deceit, and looking pretty seems to be a form of self-exaltation and vanity. I am talented at makeup artistry and photography, and I really don't want to throw away my talents. However, it seems like the direction these things lead to are in opposition to the values taught in Scripture (being truthful, honoring others above yourselves, being modest for women *(and modest doesn't just mean not being revealing it also means not being "showy"), and we are to be about substance and not what is vain). I know the teaching of "using your talents" is highly exalted in Christiandom... however, it seems like these particular "talents" of mine lead to ideologies that are in opposition to the values taught in the Scriptures. Is it time for me to throw out these "talents"? Or, is their something I am just missing in the Scriptures? If so, please enlighten me and if you can provide Scripture to back it up I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

You can wear anything and everything you want as long as it isn't obviously distasteful or wrong.

There is no Christian dresscode.

1 Peter 3.3-4
Do not let your adorning be external&#8212;the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear&#8212; but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God&#8217;s sight is very precious.

If this was seeking to establish a dress code for Christians then we would have to be naked because it would mean not to wear any clothing.

Do not let your adorning be... the clothing you wear

It tells us to wear gentleness and quietness, those aren't articles of clothing.

This is a topic that never concerns men (see how it it's not really fair?)

There is no Christian dress code for women, Paul wasn't saying there's you anything can or cannot wear, he said wear gentleness and quietness instead of clothing and jewels and nice hair and that isn't something you can possibly do... meaning he wasn't telling you how to dress on the outside. he was telling you that your inner qualities are more important than your outer appearance. If you take this verse literally it would mean go to work naked and not wear clothes.

You can wear anything you want as long as it isn't obviously wrong. The bible doesn't tell you how to dress.

Men can wear whatever they want, you can too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amandatea

Legalist extraordinaire :s
May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Wonderful, wonderful topic!

I made a couple posts about this sort of thing a while back, about wearing nice clothes, working out and even women wearing make-up. In a sense, it is very much deceptive and prideful and vain. That was what I got out of it.

I'm interested in seeing people's responses to your post. It's a very thoughtful question. I hope you get the answers you seek! :)

I don't see how working out is possibly vain. If you're doing it for the sole purpose of "looking hot" and then being able to dress provocatively, then, I suppose there is something wrong with that. However, working out is a very good thing for us. It helps our body feel good, strong, balanced, coordinated and flexible and also helps us to be energized. Eating healthfully is also good for keeping us well nourished and helping balance our brain chemistry and also we are less likely to have illness. This is a large part of what God is addressing when he says that our body is the temple of the lord. I don't see how that is a vanity issue.

Addressing the OP, I would say that make-up in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but when it becomes an obsession or when you can't leave the house without wearing it or you're afraid of anyone seeing you without make up on, that is definitely a vanity issue.

I quit wearing make up a couple of years ago and except for once in a while when I have a blemish (and I have them far less often since I stopped wearing make-up regularly) or when I feel like I want people to see my eyelashes (I have very short and blond - ie invisible eyelashes), I don't really wear any make up at all and I feel completely fine. It was tough at first but I don't worry about it at all anymore.

The issue with vanity is, in my opinion, hand in hand with the issue of pride. We want to look great and for others to look great, and I suppose that is also a big of a deceit thing. If people are more concerned with how they look than how they develop their character and their relationship with God, then that could cause trouble. It is my strong belief that, in most of what we do, it is our genuine intentions which God looks at (our heart). I hope this made sense :)

Upvote 0

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟17,695.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I believe makeup is like a mask. We wear it to hide behind it. I am average looking and I wear makeup to make myself look prettier. If I didnt have to wear makeup I wouldnt. I dye my hair too so Im not the true image of who God created.
Makeup is worn to either make yourself feel better or to attract the opposite sex. I personally wear it because it makes me feel better. (Im obviously not happy with how I look)
I have even found myself apologising to God because I am hiding behind something He loves. God loves me no matter what.
Alot of girls out there who are very pretty without makeup still wear it.
You have to have a strong and very confident mind about yourself and a 'not care' attitude to not worry about what people think about you.

I believe its something we cannot escape from. I guess if I lived in the hills with no other human then I would be happy not to wear makeup.
You just cant avoid your reflection wherever you go on this earth. There are mirrors everywhere and shop windows. I notice alot of people checking themselves out when out and about.
Its sad you have to look beautiful to get by in this world.

All of us women should put ourselves to the test for just one day. Go without makeup :)
Just cleanse your face as you would normally do and see how you feel.

I will now minimise my makeup after this post and hopefully gradually cut it out altogether.

Phew! its going to be hard work but it can be done if you can love yourself and not worry what others think about you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums