Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A rule to test if something is designed...

No, it isn't valid, there are many reasons, the one I'll go with right bow is scaffolding. As a general rule, anything you find on youtube should be considered entertainment only. If you are looking for information, look somewhere else.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it isn't valid, there are many reasons, the one I'll go with right bow is scaffolding. As a general rule, anything you find on youtube should be considered entertainment only. If you are looking for information, look somewhere else.

But apply it then and think about it
Why is not valid?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why is not valid?

I told you why. Because of scaffolding. Also because it's youtube, and there is no requirement that anything uploaded to youtube contain any facts at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I told you why. Because of scaffolding. Also because it's youtube, and there is no requirement that anything uploaded to youtube contain any facts at all.

You don't find at least annecdotal that when applied it seems to work fine to separate complex machines with anything else.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You don't find at least annecdotal that when applied it seems to work fine to separate complex machines with anything else.

Would it matter if I did? Anecdotal evidence is useless.

For the record, it doesn't work fine at all in any case. For starters, define "core". Who decides which bit of (say a car) is core? The example itself is saying that tires aren't core, so what are? And how is it decided?

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why is not valid?
Because it assumes without justification that an entity of "four or more parts, etc..." cannot be produced by a stochastic process like evolution.

• Agree
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would it matter if I did? Anecdotal evidence is useless.

For the record, it doesn't work fine at all in any case. For starters, define "core". Who decides which bit of (say a car) is core? The example itself is saying that tires aren't core, so what are? And how is it decided?

Its easy the core parts are those that are essential to the function of the object, all machines have a functionality, the purpose of the thing etc.

If you remove some skin from your eye you may still see, but remove the optic nerve you can't. etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because it assumes without justification that an entity of "four or more parts, etc..." cannot be produced by a stochastic process like evolution.

If you don't assume anything, it just that happens to describe well what could be designed. The more complex machines etc..

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If you don't assume anything, it just that happens to describe well what could be designed. The more complex machines etc..
And it will miss a lot of things which are designed. Terrific.

The bottom line is that functional complexity really has nothing much to do with whether an object is designed or not.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you remove some skin from your eye you may still see, but remove the optic nerve you can't. etc.

1) eyes don't have any skin
2) the optic nerve is not a part of the eye. If you remove it the eye works just fine, it just doesn't send signals to the brain....or are you now going to claim that the brain is a core component of the eye as well?

But let's get back to the car. Which bits are core? You still haven't told me.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Atheists believe in creation without a creator.
It doesn't matter how complex and genius it is, it's all just a marvellous accident.
That's all very interesting, but off topic.

This discussion is not about atheism versus theism, it's about whether the presence of design in a natural object is falsifiable.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2) the optic nerve is not a part of the eye. If you remove it the eye works just fine, it just doesn't send signals to the brain....or are you now going to claim that the brain is a core component of the eye as well?

I told you the core parts are those that if removed it breaks totally the function of the object, car can't work without engine, nobody is going to buy a car without engine to use it, eyes provide vision any part that if removed removes vision is the core part, and computer can't function without a cpu for example, but maybe without a fan or two can without overheating in a cold enviroment.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I told you the core parts are those that if removed it breaks totally the function of the object

That's circular and vague reasoning.

without engine to use it

But I might buy a car and put a new engine in it. In fact I have friends that do the 1/4 mile drag, they often buy cars without the engine to use it.

Also, is "engine" core? What about parts of the engine? If I take out spark plugs, the head gasket or a cylinder the car will also not run.

In fact, regardless of what bit of a computer or car you consider core, I can rip it out and replace it with something else. That sounds designed to me.

Can't do that with an eye.

Perhaps that's a better definition. Something is designed if you can take out a core bit and replace it with a different core bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2) the optic nerve is not a part of the eye.
It's called the cornea.
If you remove it the eye works just fine, it just doesn't send signals to the brain....
And then it doesn't work...
or are you now going to claim that the brain is a core component of the eye as well?
The Visual system. only works when complete.
Depends on what you design it for, what you want it to be able to do.
The designer decides what is essential.
You can make a simple car though, which is still complex and needs to be designed and built.
In fact, every part needs to be designed and built, and then assembled to get a car that works.
When design and manufacturing is poor, you get a bad product.
When the parts factory is not maintained the parts suffer from quality fade and so will the end product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,102.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

But I might buy a car and put a new engine in it. In fact I have friends that do the 1/4 mile drag, they often buy cars without the engine to use it.

Also, is "engine" core? What about parts of the engine? If I take out spark plugs, the head gasket or a cylinder the car will also not run.

Functionality of the object dependant. The function of the car is to be driveable. This is about purpose of the design to bring some functionality. Not if it is useful to you to buy it, etc. the car still is a mess without engine, if you fix it, you make it driveable, you can buy a computer without cpu, but its functionality (provide computing power) is not existant unless you add a cpu.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.
But i think we should explain this with a simpler example.
The mouse trap.
Only a few parts, but all parts are essential or 'core'.
If one part fails or misses, mouse trap no worky...
You even need a piece of bait, although that's not a part of the mouse trap.
...or is it...? Hmmm... :scratch:

Anyway, this is called irreducible complexity.
Any system has a minimum of parts to make it function.

And then there are systems that are made up of multiple systems, which can also me made up of sub systems, which can be made up of sub sub systems..

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scaffolding has about three key components.
Pipes, bolts, and joints.
If all the blts were missing, bad news.
Even with the redundancies, If you showed me
three bolts on the ground, I'd wait for a crane.

Upvote 0