Is this "Unorthodox Theology" or "Bash the Mormons"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From so much of what I've read in here, it seems to be "Bash the Mormons".

You know -- I'm not a Mormon or even remotely close to the Mormon faith in terms of what I believe theologically; but it seems to me that any real walk with Christ would allow us us to look for areas where Mormons and non-Mormons might possibly agree - and to try to work from those areas.

What I SEE is a lot of "I'm right, so therefore you must be wrong you filthy Mormon heathen"-type posts; and a lot of posts attacking the poster (and his beliefs) rather than discussing differences.

Somehow, this kind of behavior doesn't strike me as particularly "Christian". In fact, it gives me the same kind of "icky" feeling as when I'm around people who claim to "love the sinner and hate the sin" while doing their very best making the life of "the sinner" an absolute, inhuman nightmare.

I grew up in a time when civics was taught in classrooms. Part of the civics class was learning how to be a good citizen -- and in particular, learning how to debate subjects without attacking the person one was debating. Part of being a good citizen is knowing how to disagree, agreeably. Frankly, I don't see a lot of this going on -- and quite honestly, I'm tempted to side with the Mormons even though I disagree with them theologically. No one deserves the kind of disrespect they've been handed by so-called Christians who (at least theoretically) are (supposed to be) proclaiming the love of God which passes all understanding.

Please don't tell me what has been going on is "loving the sinner and hating the sin". I have more discernment than that, and I would appreciate at least people having the intellectual and emotional honesty to say a lot of what has been going on here is nothing more than out-and-out Mormon-bashing.

Reactions: Swart

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
UberLutheran said:
From so much of what I've read in here, it seems to be "Bash the Mormons".
Its more questioning the many layers of error of mormonism.

]You know -- I'm not a Mormon or even remotely close to the Mormon faith in terms of what I believe theologically; but it seems to me that any real walk with Christ would allow us us to look for areas where Mormons and non-Mormons might possibly agree - and to try to work from those areas.
OK, what areas do Christians and mormons agree? Do they agree on who God is? Who Jesus is? Who the Holy Spirit is?

Do Christians and mormons agree on we people being preexisting spirits who needed to have bodies to become gods themselves? And that Jesus and the devil were spirit brothers?

Do Christians and mormons agree on that smith was a prophet of God?

What do Christians and mormons agree on that we should work on? In your opinion?

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Most of the bashers here are a vocal minority. There are a a number of honest participants here who can discuss differences and disagree with beliefs without resorting to intolerance. There are still more that are generally rational, but will respond in kind as the discussion degenerates. This applies to some LDS as well as some non-LDS posters.

Judicious use of the "ignore" list makes this forum quite readable. You only have to put about 5% of the posters on ignore to reduce about 50% of the traffic.

I generally avoid any thread that has an axe to grind in it. Generally, a nice sharp axe serves only one purpose.

It would be great to see you post here more often, the one thing UT needs is more people willing to discuss beliefs in a mature, rational manner.

Note to Skylark: I don't think anyone could accuse you of bashing! You shouldn't take general statements to heart.

Upvote 0

usetheforce

Mar 16, 2004
✟475.00
Faith
It is a privilege to see some Christians having the True Spirit of God within them and being able to discern that which is wrong with what occurs with anti-mormonism , such as at this forum.

Thank you UberLutheren for being one of the few good Christians who come to this forum seeing that which is wrong, and trying to show the error of the ways of many who post here towards Mormonism.
They are chastised over and over again by LDS and Christians alike as you have done, but they do not see what they do.

Let us pray that time and Faith in God will bring Wisdom.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wrigley said:
Its more questioning the many layers of error of mormonism.

OK, what areas do Christians and mormons agree? Do they agree on who God is? Who Jesus is? Who the Holy Spirit is?

Do Christians and mormons agree on we people being preexisting spirits who needed to have bodies to become gods themselves? And that Jesus and the devil were spirit brothers?

Do Christians and mormons agree on that smith was a prophet of God?

What do Christians and mormons agree on that we should work on? In your opinion?

Before we undertake where "Christians and Mormons" agree, why don't we figure out where "Calvinists and Arminians" or "Calvinists and Catholics" agree?

Deciding where "Calvinists and Arminians" and "Calvinists and Catholics" agree should give us enough fodder to chew on for, say, 400 years or so. Oh, wait -- I forget: Calvinists and Arminians and Calvinists and Catholics HAVE been arguing this for 400 years!

Here's an idea: God's probably quite capable of sorting all of this out. In the meantime, we have plenty of people to feed, plenty of people to shelter, plenty of people who are lonely and really could use a visit, plenty of people who are sick and could use our help by bringing food to them or paying for a prescription -- and after all, Jesus DID say, "Most assuredly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me. (Matthew 25:31-46 in context).

Upvote 0

gort

pedantric
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
✟26,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I certainly hope that in the spirit world, paying my debt off, that I can become a loyal servant to any of these fine saints of latter day-ism. Hopefully they will judge me faithful and loyal, and fairly worthy. Hopefully I can be shown the errors of my ways.

And I'm glad that someone could come in and post something really inflammatory, full of sweeping generalizations -- and mostly wrong, and then leave while the crowd gathers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:rules: The Unorthodox Theology (UT) forum is for discussion of unorthodox theological doctrines as outlined in the rules, not for threads or posts criticizing the posting practices of other members. Any member who violates forum rules should be reported using the "Report" button at the lower right of the window. This thread is closed.

Continued opening of threads of this nature will result in warnings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.