brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To us yes. For example we would consider killing much worse than lying. However, with God sin is sin. If you have failed to keep one commandment you have failed to keep them all. That is why the Bible says that there is no one who is good. We all fall short of the glory of God.

Upvote 0

apocolypticremedy999

Jan 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA.
✟15,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, there are more heinous sins than others, even as God sees it. Though it is true that a sin is a sin and those who break one part of the law break the whole thing, God does consider certain sins to be more heinous than others. It is easier even for him to forgive some people than others. We know that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven. You can also rest assured that God may be quick to condemn muderers and rapists who do so deliberately than he would a liar or a thief. Also keep in mind the proverb that says;

There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. -Proverbs 6:16-19

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's contained in the Beatitudes but more particularly in the 'but I say unto you' statements by Jesus in Chapter 5 of Matthew.

I'm sorry, I don't see what you're talking about. Can you point out a few specific verses from Matt 5-7 to show me what you mean, that sinning against man is worse than sinning against God?

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0

apocolypticremedy999

Jan 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA.
✟15,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes - there is BIG sin and small sin.

To sin against God is one thing, but to sin against humanity is worst.

Is that right? No, on the contrary dear watson! If you claim to be an alleged Christian you should know better!

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is that right? No, on the contrary dear watson! If you claim to be an alleged Christian you should know better!

Hmmm .. perhaps you might wish to read Matthew Chapter 5 before making any judgement.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry, I don't see what you're talking about. Can you point out a few specific verses from Matt 5-7 to show me what you mean, that sinning against man is worse than sinning against God?

Thanks!

--David

I can only lead you to the text - I can't make you understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

apocolypticremedy999

Jan 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA.
✟15,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm .. perhaps you might wish to read Matthew Chapter 5 before making any judgement.

No, I'm quite familiar with Matthew chap 5, and I don't quite see how you gather this notion.

The thing is, when you sin against humanity, esp against God's chosen children, you are sinning against God, for men were made in God's own image and God's chosen children are of God and God lives within them as well as his glory. They exemplify him in the flesh.

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” -Matthew 25:37-46

So in a way, I suppose that in a way you're right, but if you sin directly against the Lord by cursing him or blaspheming against him, it is considered just as offensive if not more so. Keep in mind that blaspheming against the Holy Ghost cannot and will not be forgiven, and yet it doesn't necessarily harm a person. Murder can be forgiven before blasphemy of the Holy Ghost can. Plus desecrating the sacred things of God, such as his name, his temple, his word, etc. etc. is also considered particularly offensive.

Upvote 0

patrick68

Apr 19, 2012
✟7,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=emkei;60327731]is there a"small" and "big" sin?

If you believe the BIBLE; YES!

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

God Bless you,
patrick68

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the whole point of Jesus' teaching is that you can't separate how you treat God from how you treat other people. So you can't ask whether sin against one is worth than sin against the other.

Unlike pagans gods, who cared that people gave them appropriate honors, God -- in both the prophets and Jesus -- wants to be served by having us treat each other right. Jesus says this pretty clearly.

The sheep and the goats is probably the classic citation. But note that in that parable people who help others but don't think they're serving God come off fine, whereas the people who think they're serving God but don't help others end up in trouble. If you really want to separate the two, I think Jesus does actually say that sins against others are worse than sins against God. After all, you can't hurt God but you can hurt other humans.

Upvote 0

patrick68

Apr 19, 2012
✟7,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=hedrick;60356696]I believe the whole point of Jesus' teaching is that you can't separate how you treat God from how you treat other people. So you can't ask whether sin against one is worth than sin against the other.

Unlike pagans gods, who cared that people gave them appropriate honors, God -- in both the prophets and Jesus -- wants to be served by having us treat each other right. Jesus says this pretty clearly.

The sheep and the goats is probably the classic citation. But note that in that parable people who help others but don't think they're serving God come off fine, whereas the people who think they're serving God but don't help others end up in trouble. If you really want to separate the two, I think Jesus does actually say that sins against others are worse than sins against God. After all, you can't hurt God but you can hurt other humans.

Certainly how we "Love others" as we "ove ourselves" is a critical Teaching.

BUT IF your a "bible believer" so to is CHRIST Teachinhg of at least two levels of sin. Serious and GRAVE.

This conforms fully with God's "Just and Fair" Devine Nature.

Staling a dollar can't be jusged as saerious as murder or abortion for example.

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal."

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"

God Bless you,

patrick68

Upvote 0