Is There Such a Thing as a Biblical Feminist?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That presumes on what Jesus sees, of which you do not know, since you are not Jesus.

I presume that overall, scripture is accurate even when the internet is not.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Man does not see what the LORD sees,
for man sees what is visible, but the LORD sees the heart."

Jeremiah 20:12 LORD Almighty, you who examine the righteous and who sees the heart and the mind, let me see your vengeance upon them, for to you have I committed my cause.

1 Chronicles 28:9 For the LORD sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever.

Psalm 44:21 would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul said that women should be silent in a church. How does that apply to me, a man?

Do unto yourself the same as you would ask of others.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are correct. I am speaking in general. One can always find exceptions. Regarding menstrual embarrassment, I speak from experience. I have taught girls' gymnastics for 40 years, and it is embarrassing to them.

But there is no good reason to be embarrassing to them any more than a cough or sneeze. It sounds like a poor environment.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
.....and the following verse (1 Cor 14:39)

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.​

Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sinful cultural systems exist because all people are sinful until they are regenerated in Christ. And eve we who are the regenerate are still surrounded by the degenerate and have to resist the temptations of the flesh, too. No. Sinful cultural systems will only go away when Jesus returns and rules the world with a rod of iron for a thousands. Even then He will allow sin to be chosen at the end, then all sin will be vanquished. Your hope is better placed in evangelism than in feminism.

There is a third option: exhortation. That is, I encourage my fellow Christians to live into the fullness of the gospel message.

Well, Plover, that is what I am asking. Please state what those similar moral values are that you see.

Feminism asserts that people should have access to the same opportunities and responsibilities, regardless of whether they are male or female. (The exceptions to this principle are those few situations which truly relate to biology: the observation that women bear and nurse children, for example.)

This principle applies to many large, obvious situations: I believe that women should have access to education, should be allowed to vote, should be able to own property, and so on. Most of these goals have been achieved in the U.S., though not yet worldwide.

The principle also applies to other, more subtle situations, and these subtler situations are still in need of attention in the U.S. I believe that it is healthy for girls as well as boys to be taught how to repair machinery and appliances, and that it is healthy for boys as well as girls to be taught how to cook and clean house. I believe that fathers as well as mothers should be active in their children's lives, and that new parents should have access to paid parental leave (for both fathers and mothers), not just maternity leave. I believe that girls should not be discouraged from studying science, and boys should not be discouraged from careers in elementary education or nursing, if they have interests in those directions. As a parent and an educator, I work all the time for these and similar cultural reforms.

This is what I mean by feminism.

As a Christian, I see this principle -- that people should have access to the same opportunities and responsibilities, regardless of whether they are male or female -- as an application of the commands to love our neighbors as ourselves, to treat others as we would be treated, and to treat others as we would treat Jesus himself.

You asked about the similarity of moral values between Christianity and feminism. A non-religious feminist will not care about treating people the way we would treat Jesus, if Jesus is not important to them. But a non-religious feminist will agree with me about two fundamental Christian values: 1) We should treat other people the way we want to be treated; and 2) It is wrong for people in power to use that power to hurt other people. By agreeing on these two values, we agree about a great many things.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Because He created both genders, He alone fully understands the differences in genders. He is not gender blind.

When Yahweh granted understanding of Scriptures to the disciples,
when Yahshua 'breathed' on some and 'opened their eyes'/ they received understanding,
they understood .

"fully" might or might not be meaningful or pertinent.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,430.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. And if it weren't for women.....we may not even have Jesus followers (they may have given up on Jesus when He'd died on the cross). I'm glad that Mary didn't follow the advice to "shut up"

Indeed. :oldthumbsup:
Jesus chose her to be the first witness to the resurrection and told her NOT to shut up! :amen:

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Mary didn't follow the advice to "shut up":
40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.
There is a time to speak, and a time to not speak.

i.e. Mary obeyed Messiah in all things. She always honored His Word, was covered, kept the commandments including the 4th, and did not stray or disobey or seek her own way in anything after becoming His. What she did was fitting, proper and orderly, all the time, day and night, every day.
Same with the other disciples after they became His, as He directed them.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 23:8

The leader is the one that speaks, Jesus is my leader, and he is the one that speaks
Our duty is be bible confirmed in every thing we say or do

the point is apply the word of God

Matthew 23:3

If people speaks is probably because have something to tell, if you find correct what said respect it and do it yourself

The woman has to shut up in churches, but they have to speak in private with housband
:cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
i.e. Mary obeyed Messiah in all things. She always honored His Word, was covered, kept the commandments including the 4th, and did not stray or disobey or seek her own way in anything after becoming His. What she did was fitting, proper and orderly, all the time, day and night, every day.
Same with the other disciples after they became His, as He directed them.
Not that it matters to your point, but this is a different Mary.

But I agree ....my point was that Jesus Himself directed Mary to GO TELL THEM (which contradicts what is being attributed to God here in this thread). Thank goodness they *did* only follow as Jesus directed them.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
True. But doesn't that apply to everyone?
GREAT! YES! THAT is kind of the point.

Note ALSO, ALL the other qualities of Mary (all the Marys Yahweh calls righteous/ right/ disciples born again by Him, walking in Him, Christ in them).

So if ANYONE speaks , let them have the same character; not unrighteous, not ungodly, nor disobedient in any way.

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed.
Jesus chose her to be the first witness to the resurrection and told her NOT to shut up!
And the context was NOT a church meeting either.

Let's keep things in context if we wish to apply Bible truth properly. Women can be witnesses for Christ at any time, but God says that within the context of Christian gatherings for worship, they are to keep silence. Why? There are spiritual principles behind that, which Christians need to learn.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Feminism has deep seated within it a call for justice. Social Justice if you like, but justice nonetheless. This is the issue that I hear, and why I have no doubt been (to the mind of some in this debate at least) somewhat obstructionist.

We need to be very clear that relying on - narrowly defined constructs of the law - hard line literalist interpretations of scripture - specific understandings of inherited traditions (that is probably a tautology) - or some other authority that we choose to uphold - as a reason not to hear the call for justice is a kind of religion that Jesus did not see in an overly flattering light.

Like all social movements there will be parts that I am not always fond of, or agree with, however we are in dangerous country indeed if we are not mindful of the call for justice that is there.

WhatDoesTheLordRequire.jpg

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even though there are several things I disagree with you about, I want you to know that I do believe that there is some common ground between secular feminism and biblical femininity. I also think that you are one of the best example of a Christian woman who knows where to draw the lines. I only began this thread because of your suggestion. I knew there would be men that were hostile and even women who are more secular than Christian in this conversation, but I think you bring a godly balance and I thank you.

Thank you, I appreciate this.

I respectfully disagree. If men and women thought alike there would be no sexual abuse.

You do realise that some women commit sexual abuse? A smaller proportion of us, but it does happen and mustn't be overlooked.

This is what I'm trying to say; not that everyone thinks alike, but that there isn't a "male" way of thinking and a "female" way of thinking, but a huge diversity of ways of thinking, some of which are more common to men and some more common to women, but none exclusive to either sex.

The only way the world can be changed is by the new birth of Christ brought into the hearts of unregenerate people. This is why the Great Commission is the only task Christ gave the Church. Political activism is only a temporary change, and will always fall back when despotic leaders resume power. The only hope that is a sure hope is Christ returning and transforming the world. All else is vanity.

Hmm. What do you think of the concept of already-inaugurated eschatology? The idea that the reign of God is breaking into and transforming human lives now, as a foretaste of the fullness of what is to come?

"Contemporary" has a implication of temporary and superficial. Contemporary is meaningless. Christianity at its core does not change, for the core of Christianity is Christ and His Holy Spirit. Likewise, the core of feminism has not changed. The core I am thinking of is the good part, not bad. The right for women to be respected and not abused.

Yes, this is my point. Dave's quoting a few fringe whackos from the 70s as if they define feminism, rather than recognising that those quotes aren't the core of feminism at all.

All children are born with the knowledge of right and wrong. That knowledge is given by God and is in their conscience.

I disagree. Studies in human cognitive development have shown that we develop a sense of right and wrong as we grow; our conscience is formed by our environment.

All children know that they should have a father and a mother. All children know that the mother is the primary caregiver of children. That is God given and God ordained. Feminists want to reject that truth. When parents divorce, children know that it is wrong which is why they always hope their parents will get back together. You may say that the job of the breadwinner is culturally defined, but it is not. Am I saying that woman can't be a breadwinner? No. I am not. However, that is not the order of creation, and children know this in their hearts. So when I used the term "broken" this is what I mean. The children see it as broken. Can the children overcome? Of course, they can. Every family is dysfunctional is some way so all children have to overcome something when they grow up.

Yeah, no, sorry, this is no better. Different family patterns are not necessarily dysfunctional or broken (although there are many broken and dysfunctional homes, and many of them even conform to traditional stereotypes). It's not dysfunctional or broken to have a mother as breadwinner if that works for the family concerned. This really is flaming.

I would argue that our human spirit is what determines our gender and the soul and body are expressions of that masculine or feminine spirit.

You can hold that belief, but I'd like to see a shred of evidence before you claim it's any more valid than my belief that spirit/soul has no gender, and that sex and gender are purely a matter of physiology.

Because we see ourselves as being male and female we assume God must also be male and female. That is true anthropomorphism and projection on our part. God identifies Himself in the masculine, not the feminine. Yet He was able to conceive the idea of a feminine. If God were feminine don't you think he would call himself a she? Yet He never does anywhere in Scripture, with the exception of simile. Jesus said to Jerusalem he wished he could like a mother hen scoop them up in his wings.

I don't know how I'm not being clear on this.

I'm not saying God is feminine. I'm saying that defining God in terms of human sex is inappropriate. We can't project back from our bodies/bodied experience, onto the creator of the universe.

We can't limit God's being by the limited nature of our language.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,430.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the context was NOT a church meeting either.

Doesn't matter.
If God commands that women should keep quiet, not teach and not usurp authority over men, whatever that means, then that's his command.
It doesn't make sense to allow it at various times - e.g Deborah, as judge over the whole nation, Huldah giving God's word to male priests, Mary Magdalene going into a roomful of men to tell them of the resurrection - but forbidding it when "in church".

Let's keep things in context if we wish to apply Bible truth properly. Women can be witnesses for Christ at any time, but God says that within the context of Christian gatherings for worship, they are to keep silence.

Clearly he doesn't.
Firstly because he is calling Christian women today to lead worship, preach and even be ministers over his whole church. You, and others, can dismiss that if you like, but it is happening, and has been for some years. It's not about feminism, something we get accused of whenever this subject is debated; it's about allowing that God can call whoever he wishes, just as he has always done. Besides the Biblical examples, John Wesley and William Booth allowed women to be preachers in the 17/1800s.
In 1300 and something Catherine of Siena was asked by the Pope to teach cardinals.
Secondly, this whole subject has been debated many times on these forums, even while I've been a member. If it was clear that God is telling his church today that women cannot lead, and contribute to, the worship meetings, there would be no debate - unless, again, you're dismissing women, and a lot of men, as being disobedient, misled, deluded and just doing as they wish.

Why? There are spiritual principles behind that, which Christians need to learn.

Like?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not saying God is feminine. I'm saying that defining God in terms of human sex is inappropriate. We can't project back from our bodies/bodied experience, onto the creator of the universe.
Except it is done frequently in the OT. And with few exceptions like "Father," the attributes are feminine.

A good example is the Name of God; El Shaddai.
"Shad" is the Hebrew word for breast.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the UK, girls can join the Scouts, and, I think, cubs too.

I have never, ever seen a girl or woman wearing a t shirt which says "I've got my period; stay away."
They would have had to advertise it like that in Bible times because they believed it made the woman unclean, but not today.
I hope you are being facetious.

Upvote 0