WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There shouldn't be. Only what's based completely on the Bible, not man-made rules. No woman should be turned away from a church merely because she happens to be wearing jeans/slacks (very modest ones, at that), neither should any guy be shown to the door because he isn't wearing a white dress shirt with a tie, and doesn't sport "just-so" hair. I've never been to any church where that has happened, but I know such churches exist -- and it's sad. One church I know of isn't even Pentecostal, and the pastor was known to tell the girls who don't show up in dresses to leave. Something's not right about that. There are some who don't have any.

It is my own belief, however, that on the day of worship, I should be in my very best attire, if possible. I almost always choose to wear dresses and skirts to church on Sunday morning, and maybe occasionally some very nice slacks and a blouse. But for housework and shopping? Nothing beats my jeans and my overalls! The pants I wear are never too tight, and do not ride low on my hips.

Upvote 0

mle

4lifeinchrist
Dec 28, 2003
Squamish
✟11,153.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember David dancing before the Lord in his underwear. And his wife complained about it? Our Pastor asked us not to dance in our church in our underwear unless we were sure we heard from God. lol
We have a casual dress code at our church. There is no written code or anything that is just what is done.

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

I'm not Pentecostal, but went to a United Pentecostal church this weekend. What a surprise that the women wore skirts/dresses, no jewelry, no makeup and mostly wore their hair up~! I was impressed, actually, that members would dress modestly out of reverence for God. I go to an "anything goes" church (intended to welcome seekers), and it does pain me when it seems people dress for their reputation rather than for the LORD.

About the hair, though - some of the women's hairdo's were WAAAY fancier than any hairstyle I could imagine. So it seemed some women were not exactly in accord with the "modest hair" idea. Seems like they were making up for their lack of ability to wear jewelry by putting flashy clips in their hair. :p

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
mle said:
Our Pastor asked us not to dance in our church in our underwear unless we were sure we heard from God. lol.
like that! ....
rotfl.gif

I'm in AOG and it seems we have no dress code. We do have a young fellowship and it seems to me to be unbecoming when young lasses turn up for church in figure hugging jeans that just get over their hips and tops that just get under their bosums. The result is a vast expanse of bare flesh that seems more suitable to a Saturday night hop than church!
Especially when they're 8½ months pregnant!

But then, I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy ....
old.gif

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
flaglady said:
I'm in AOG and it seems we have no dress code. We do have a young fellowship and it seems to me to be unbecoming when young lasses turn up for church in figure hugging jeans that just get over their hips and tops that just get under their bosums. The result is a vast expanse of bare flesh that seems more suitable to a Saturday night hop than church!
Especially when they're 8½ months pregnant!

But then, I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy ....
old.gif

I'm 31, and it baffles me, as well. I mean, I understand how these young ladies want to be "stylish", but I believe this can be accomplished, even when dressing modestly.

Upvote 0

Grl4Christ987

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy...on me
Nov 5, 2004
Physically, PA, spiritually, China
Visit site
✟9,338.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm actually finding now that as I get older (18 in 2 days!!!) that I am getting sick of all of the clothes out there for the young lady generation, it's quite sickening to go down the hallways at school and see all of the girls in their glory being shown like it's no big deal and then complain about guys being too hyped up sexually, go figure...but I'm a lot more modest in my dress and appearance, you should've seen me before I was saved absolutely horrible, and I find that it's worked out for my benefit really. But my church does have a dress code and for that I'm grateful.

In Christ,

Kimmie

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Grl4Christ987 said:
I'm actually finding now that as I get older (18 in 2 days!!!) that I am getting sick of all of the clothes out there for the young lady generation, it's quite sickening to go down the hallways at school and see all of the girls in their glory being shown like it's no big deal and then complain about guys being too hyped up sexually, go figure...but I'm a lot more modest in my dress and appearance, you should've seen me before I was saved absolutely horrible, and I find that it's worked out for my benefit really. But my church does have a dress code and for that I'm grateful.

In Christ,

Kimmie

Good girl! Modesty can actually be very alluring you know!....
hide.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

habeas

Veteran
Jun 18, 2005
✟3,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jenster said:
I'm not Pentecostal, but went to a United Pentecostal church this weekend. What a surprise that the women wore skirts/dresses, no jewelry, no makeup and mostly wore their hair up~! I was impressed, actually, that members would dress modestly out of reverence for God. I go to an "anything goes" church (intended to welcome seekers), and it does pain me when it seems people dress for their reputation rather than for the LORD.

About the hair, though - some of the women's hairdo's were WAAAY fancier than any hairstyle I could imagine. So it seemed some women were not exactly in accord with the "modest hair" idea. Seems like they were making up for their lack of ability to wear jewelry by putting flashy clips in their hair. :p

UPC is a "oneness" chruch (the members don't believe in the Trinity). The women are not permitted to cut or trim their hair at all, and it is their "crown" of glory. They are supposed to show it off, whilst being modest in all other respects.

"If a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him… If a woman have long hair, it is her glory: for her hair given her a covering (I Corinthian 11:14-15).

Upvote 0

BAZZ

Sep 13, 2005
AMSTERDAM
✟15,116.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
As Far As I Am Concerned. God Looks At The Heart Of Men And At What People See In The Outside. God Can Use You Simply Because He Chose You To Reveal His Glory. I Don't Think God Will Just Use You Because You Are Always Wearing A Tie Every Sunday. It Is Appropriate To Dress Well Everytime You Go To Church,yes That's True, Cause We Awe To Concider It A Great Privelege To Enter Into The House Of God. But I Believe What Matters Most In The Sight Of God Is One's Heart. God Looks At The Heart Of Men. As He Chose David To Be King Over All Israel By Looking In His Heart Though He Was Just A Young Teenager, So Does God Looks At The Heart Of Those Who Are Willing To Serve Him. Praise Be The Name Of Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Bazz

Upvote 0

walk_by_faith

Alpine's Wifey.
Sep 20, 2005
MidWest
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In our church, we don't have a dress code, but at the beginning or summer the pastor gave a sermon about what not to wear at church. Like skimpy tops ect, stating that he only wants to see his wife in that way. I agree with him. I don't want to worry about going into chruch and having a 20 year old with her boobs poping out and her belly button showing and her 'cheeks' poping out of her shorts.

We do have people who wear leather at church and jeans and such, but wear it respectfully.

Upvote 0

momofonebaybe

Senior Contributor
Sep 12, 2005
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
✟25,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I attend Oak Creek Assembly of God and we do not have any dress codes what so ever, it is come as you are... God wants everyone to be with him and just because someone doesnt wear dresses or cuts their hair or wears shorts doesnt make them any different from anybody else.. We are equal as NEW CREATURES OF GOD... No one is better or know any secreats that will get them closer to the lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaptainMercy

In the valley He restores my soul!
Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
:preach: The qusetion is unclear. Do you want a church denomination dress code? Or are you asking if the Holy Ghost has a dress code? If your question is of denominational nature, then the answer is one of morality and decency which to many denominations has become a rather relative issue I am afraid. My own denomination has let down a lot of standards in an attempt to become more acceptable to others and it hurts to see where we are headed.

If your question is dealing with a scriptural sense, then the aswer is yes.

1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

It is also a shame that anyone would dress in a provocative manner so as to dause others to lust after them. Does that help?:cool:

Upvote 0

Shalico2007

Jesucristo es el Rey! Que Dios te Bendiga!
Oct 30, 2004
✟116,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe as long as we're moral in the sight of God, that is what He is going to look at, and our hearts. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that women have to wear dresses, just being modest in apparel is what He wants:

1 Timothy 2:9-10 "In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.