Is there a difference between Homosexual Identity and sexual acts?

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering if there is any difference between having a homosexual identity and actually participating in the homosexual acts?

I believe homosexual acts are sin based on scripture, but what about the identity. I am confused on whether there is any separation between identity and sexual acts.

What is the difference?

D

DMagoh

I am wondering if there is any difference between having a homosexual identity and actually participating in the homosexual acts?

I believe homosexual acts are sin based on scripture, but what about the identity. I am confused on whether there is any separation between identity and sexual acts.

What is the difference?

Is there any difference between having a heterosexual identity and actually participating in heterosexual acts (like sex with someone you are not married to.)

The answer is... ABSOLUTELY.

Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there any difference between having a heterosexual identity and actually participating in heterosexual acts (like sex with someone you are not married to.)

The answer is... ABSOLUTELY.

what does identity mean? How can a person have a homosexual identity without fulfilling his desires of intimacy?

Also if the homosexual just won't change his identity, then I guess it means he will be celibate his entire life if he's remaining in the faith?

Upvote 0
D

DMagoh

what does identity mean? How can a person have a homosexual identity without fulfilling his desires of intimacy?

Also if the homosexual just won't change his identity, then I guess it means he will be celibate his entire life if he's remaining in the faith?

What if some really ugly obese guy is a heterosexual, but the only women that would even be interested in dating him were ugly obese women? But ugly obese women dont turn him on - he can only fulfill his desires with pretty women that are not overweight. I guess that means he will celibate his entire life if he's remaining in the faith.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am attracted almost exclusively to women and have no desire for a romantic relationship with a man. The idea of engaging in most sexual acts with a man does absolutely nothing for me, or else makes my skin crawl. I am very much in love with the idea of knitting my life together with a woman.

Fairly clearly, I am homosexual.

I am also almost as virgin as a person can get. I have been on one date in my life, and that was with a friend to whom I was not attracted (she had a crush on me, and we were going out anyway, so she suggested we call it a date just so I could say I'd been on one. I agreed.)

I have no plan to be celibate for life. I simply have not dated.

For a heterosexual, this is a pretty easy state to describe. I am single.

Reactions: HaloHope
Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think there is a distinction between a homosexual orientation and the gay lifestyle.

I think a very small percentage of people are actually born that way and that most homosexuals become so either by choice or through a confused sexual identity process.

Having a homosexual orientation in and of itself may not be a sin, living the gay lifestyle is both adultery and scandal.

Aside from homosexuals who lead gay lifestyles, there are those who are not gay, but are guilty of the sin of scandal due to their promotion of tolerance and acceptance (promoting scandal) of this evil sinful life. They are just as bad or worse due to their proclaimed enlightenment and the influence on society, espcecially young, naive people.

Upvote 0

WashedBytheSon

Jul 2, 2007
MN
✟15,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What is the difference?

There is no difference, both are wrong. Someone can lust in their mind, and not act, and it is still a sin. The same principle applies to homosexuality.

Upvote 0
D

DMagoh

There is no difference, both are wrong. Someone can lust in their mind, and not act, and it is still a sin. The same principle applies to homosexuality.

I dont remember them saying anything about lusting. You can be attracted to members of the same sex without sinning, just like you can be attracted to members of the opposite sex without sinning.

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Of course there is a difference between homosexual acts and homosexual orientation.

It's just totally unreasonable to expect those with homosexual orientation to spend their lives alone.

In fact, I have to say one of the biggest issues I take with a lot of anti-gay people is the fact they expect someone who is gay to never experience the love that under their beliefs they are aloud to experience. As difficult as it is for some people to believe not all gay relationships (just as not all straight relationships) are not based around sex. If you love someone you want to hold them, protect them care about them, spend your life with them. It is quite simply monstrous to expect someone to deny themselves that, one of the most wonderful things a human can feel. Not many people are born with the capacity to remain alone, celibate and not-depressed all at once (those who can I am happy for).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MrPirate

What if some really ugly obese guy is a heterosexual, but the only women that would even be interested in dating him were ugly obese women? But ugly obese women dont turn him on - he can only fulfill his desires with pretty women that are not overweight. I guess that means he will celibate his entire life if he's remaining in the faith.
The differences are many
No one is born ugly
No one is born obese
Love is strange
The above person is a heterosexual whether he ever has sexual relations or not.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

I think there is a distinction between a homosexual orientation and the gay lifestyle.
What is this “gay lifestyle”?

I think a very small percentage of people are actually born that way and that most homosexuals become so either by choice or through a confused sexual identity process.
Yet when asked for evidence to support the claim somehow choice is involved you just throw insults around.
If you are claiming that homosexuals “choose” to be homosexual…why can’t you support that claim with evidence?

Having a homosexual orientation in and of itself may not be a sin, living the gay lifestyle is both adultery and scandal.
Unless of course they are married

Aside from homosexuals who lead gay lifestyles, there are those who are not gay, but are guilty of the sin of scandal due to their promotion of tolerance and acceptance (promoting scandal) of this evil sinful life. They are just as bad or worse due to their proclaimed enlightenment and the influence on society, espcecially young, naive people.
This made no sense at all

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Dear Mr Pirate,
The differences you cite are not really relevent in my opinion. DMagoh was referring to sexual attraction.
1. people are born ugly if one thinks a baby is ugly but a baby when it is born doesnt have sexual desires anyway.
2. true
3. Love is not sex. Sex can be a part of love or not.
4. The above person is not neceesarily a heterosexual, people keep making this assumption adn many of us have to keep pointing out we dont make that assumption as there is no consensus of scienbtific proof .

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

Dear Mr Pirate,
The differences you cite are not really relevent in my opinion. DMagoh was referring to sexual attraction.
1. people are born ugly if one thinks a baby is ugly but a baby when it is born doesnt have sexual desires anyway.
2. true
3. Love is not sex. Sex can be a part of love or not.

Not liking them does not make them irrelevant.

DMagoh is comparing transitory states of being with an intrinsic factor.

And love is no different between to homosexuals than between two heterosexuals.

4. The above person is not neceesarily a heterosexual, people keep making this assumption adn many of us have to keep pointing out we dont make that assumption as there is no consensus of scienbtific proof .
He is interested physically and romantically in women (pretty or otherwise) that spells out heterosexual.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Dear Mr Pirate,

No my basis for whether they were relevant or not was based on their relevance, not on whether I liked them, nor did I say so.
DMagoh is comparing transitory states of being with an intrinsic factor.
There is no proven intrinsic factor

And love is no different between to homosexuals than between two heterosexuals.

Yes quite right as I love my brother who is a man, and both of us are heterosexuals
He is interested physically and romantically in women (pretty or otherwise) that spells out heterosexual.
obviously not, only the physical is as I have shown above

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Yes quite right as I love my brother who is a man, and both of us are heterosexuals

Romantic love is different form brotherly love. Hetrosexuals feel romantic love for their partners. Homosexuals feel romantic love for their partners.

I love my male freinds. But it's not a romantic love.

The difference is big.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Dear Halohope,
Romantic love is different form brotherly love.
No I was just refering to the Christian understanding of love, 'agape'.
Brotherly love would be 'Phlieo' and agape in the Christian Biblical sense. (See John 21 in Greek.)
Hetrosexuals feel romantic love for their partners. Homosexuals feel romantic love for their partners.
thats 'eros' which for Christians is ok within a man/woman marriage and error outside that including same-sex sex.

Ps incidenatlly a homosexual man and a homosexual woman can get married, heterosexual and homosexual has nothing to do with 'agape' love.

Upvote 0

WashedBytheSon

Jul 2, 2007
MN
✟15,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I dont remember them saying anything about lusting. You can be attracted to members of the same sex without sinning, just like you can be attracted to members of the opposite sex without sinning.

Matthew 5:29
" If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell."

It is about lust, and lusts of the heart causing you to sin. Homosexuality falls under that category just as fornication and adultery does.

Upvote 0