Is the Wailing Wall a holy place for Christians too?

AlexGKotel

May 15, 2013
✟7,613.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It is well known that the Western Wall (Wailing Wall) in Jerusalem is considered to be a sacred site in Judaism.
In recent years, great number of tourists come at the Wailing Wall as it is also an attractive tourist destination.
Many political leaders visit the Wailing Wall, expressing support for Israel (the Wall is disputed by Israel and the Palestinians). All this does not cause issues.
I'm interested in something else: Many Christians come here to pray. Even Pope Benedict XVI and Pope John Paul II visited the Western Wall and left notes with prayers (see e.g. prayer2kotel.net)
There is a lot of information, why this site is a sacred one in Judaism (Temple of Herod) and Islam (Dome of the Rock), but I didn't find any information in the Christian sources.
Could you help me? :confused:

Zeek

Follower of Messiah, Israel advocate and Zionist
Nov 8, 2010
England
✟11,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know why people consider certain places Holy..that seems to have more to do with the sentiments of man than the reality of G-d.
I have often prayed at the Western Wall...it is a good place to pray, and you are in the company of other people who gravitate to this last surviving structure of a retaining wall to the out-buildings of the Temple.
You can come here at any ime day or night, although on Shabbat and specific feast days and bar-Mitzvah's you have to observe certain religious protocols, like not using a camera or even writing notes (it is deemed as work).
It is also a good place to meditate on the things of G-d and to try and visualize how things must have looked when the Temple was still standing, the sounds, the smells and the sights...probably mesmorising, and even now it is mesmorising at times.

If you want an app for your i-phone where you can see the Western Wall try iKotel.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
There is a lot of information, why this site is a sacred one in Judaism (Temple of Herod) and Islam (Dome of the Rock), but I didn't find any information in the Christian sources.

Just wanted to say that the Dome of the Rock is not necessarily sacred on its own. The entire sanctuary (called Masjid al-Aqsa/al Haram ash-Shareef....which includes the structure that has also been named Masjid al-Aqsa as well as the structure called the Dome of the Rock) is what's sacred. It's the 3rd holiest mosque (not just the structures/buildings, but the entire square) in Islaam.

al_aqsa_mosque.jpg

The bluish domed mosque on the lower right side of the picture is the structure known as "Masjid al-Aqsa" and the golden domed mosque is the Dome of the Rock (Masjid as-Sakhrah). The entire square is the ACTUAL Masjid al-Aqsa (some call it al-Haram ash-Shareef/the Noble Sanctuary). I know that's kind of confusing.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some Christian leaders, such as the aforementioned Popes, may choose to pray at the Wall as a show of solidarity.

It's not a holy site in Christianity as such, but some might desire to stand with Jewish persons at the Wall as a show and sign of solidarity.

The Christian Church has centuries of history of cruelty and hurt against the Jewish people; in the decades following the Holocaust, with a visible show of what so much hate bred in Europe, Christians of all stripes have had to look at ourselves in the mirror and see that we share in the blame for our history and that we have a responsibility to seek and mend the deep, deep wounds we've inflicted.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0