Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will the Sabbath be a 'test of loyalty' in the end times? Will the Sabbath be the defining factor in ones salvation?
Many believers who are God fearing and upright do not observe Saturday as the Sabbath, will the Sabbath be the only litmus test that sets Gods people apart in the end?

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Will the Sabbath be a 'test of loyalty' in the end times? Will the Sabbath be the defining factor in ones salvation?
Many believers who are God fearing and upright do not observe Saturday as the Sabbath, will the Sabbath be the only litmus test that sets Gods people apart in the end?
Will it be the defining factor of one’s salvation- that I don’t know but the hositility over Sabbath-keeping seems to be growing and its the one commandment highly contested, which to me shows how much power is in the Sabbath in both directions. The Sabbath is on the test as it is one of God’s commandments written in the heart and mind. More and more people are coming to the light on the Bible Sabbath and being a joy to the Lord. Isaiah 58:13-14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I wrote a blog post on the forum in February of 2022 called The Seventh-day Sabbath in Bible Prophecy, which shows how the Sabbath is front and center in the end time.

In addition to my blog post, I wanted to touch on the third angel's message. I've included verse 13.

Revelation 14:9-13

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

The chiastic structure found in the third angel's message is interesting.
  • If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand...
    • The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation.
      • And he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb.
      • And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever.
    • And they have no rest day nor night...
  • Who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

• The patience of the saints, commandment keeping, faith of Jesus.
    • The living saints are receiving rest because they observe the Sabbath.
    • Those who die in the Lord receive rest from their labors, and their works follow them.
Given the chiastic structure...

Is "And they have no rest day or night..." referring to the tribulation period or the lake of fire?
Or is it a dual prophecy referring to both?
If it is referring to the tribulation period, then it could be yet another pointer to the Sabbath in the end time.

Something of note is the tense: "And they have no rest day or night who worship [present tense] the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth [present tense] the mark of his name." i.e. before the lake of fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on who you follow what Church/denomination you go to. See there is no scripture for "test" when it comes to observing the Sabbath or not. Oh so many debate this yet its amazing what never gets talked about.. heres a clip

"For a Jew, however, even for the one steeped in western culture, this is never the question. For the Jew, “corporate” worship is an everyday practice and not a once-per-week occurrence. A Jew prays a lengthy set of prayers 3 times per day, often in the company of other Jews. This is why observant Jews wouldn’t drive to a place of worship 15-40 minutes away (as most Christians do), but would only attend something local. Not only must the synagogue be reached by foot on Shabbat (when driving is off limits), but it also must be very near for everyday community functions.

On Shabbat, Jews engage in some worship activities which differ from regular daily worship, but most prominently, they cease from the creative life in which they engage during the rest of the week. (For example, a Jew can read but must not write on Shabbat, charging his or her creative strengths to be unleashed during the six days of work). This central Jewish idea of the once-per week physical, emotional, and psychological rest is almost completely absent in Christian practice, where emphasis is placed on worship."

Its like denomination here...same kind of thing over there. So here with our western mindset.. so you observe the Sabbath so what? They live and breath this every moment we do not. If someone thinks observing the Sabbath some how makes you a better Christian or you are passing some test.. well I can't find anything in Scripture OT/five books/Torah and NT saying that.

The Sabbath.. you know some reasons people think they must observe it is Jesus observe it! Amen He did yet there were not Christians back then no Church and they all were still under doing the law 613 of them. Are you? Well if you were going to run with JESUS did it.. then do the rest. When He was here it was only for the Jews.. that bread for the children was not for the dogs. My advice is.. you do what you believe. You pray you ask Him.. then ask Him to show you in His word where is that written? See He told us to test the spirits. So even if some Angel pop up saying you best be observing the Sabbath.. you better say "give me Chapter and verse and tell me we are washed by the BLOOD OF JESUS Christ!"

Some group saying I must do this or that.. pass

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
All of God's law are tests of loyalty and not just in end times. Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law, so living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is intrinsically part of the concept of him saving us from not living in obedience to it. For example, keeping the Sabbath holy through faith in Jesus is a the defining factor in Jesus saving us from not keeping the Sabbath holy. All of God's laws were given to distinguish between who are God's people and who are chasing after other gods. For example, keeping Sabbath holy is acting in accordance with the nature of the God of Israel, so if someone following a god who has a nature that keeping the Sabbath holy is not in accordance with, then to that extent the god that they are following is not the one true God of Israel.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on who you follow what Church/denomination you go to. See there is no scripture for "test" when it comes to observing the Sabbath or not. Oh so many debate this yet its amazing what never gets talked about.. heres a clip

"For a Jew, however, even for the one steeped in western culture, this is never the question. For the Jew, “corporate” worship is an everyday practice and not a once-per-week occurrence. A Jew prays a lengthy set of prayers 3 times per day, often in the company of other Jews. This is why observant Jews wouldn’t drive to a place of worship 15-40 minutes away (as most Christians do), but would only attend something local. Not only must the synagogue be reached by foot on Shabbat (when driving is off limits), but it also must be very near for everyday community functions.

On Shabbat, Jews engage in some worship activities which differ from regular daily worship, but most prominently, they cease from the creative life in which they engage during the rest of the week. (For example, a Jew can read but must not write on Shabbat, charging his or her creative strengths to be unleashed during the six days of work). This central Jewish idea of the once-per week physical, emotional, and psychological rest is almost completely absent in Christian practice, where emphasis is placed on worship."

Its like denomination here...same kind of thing over there. So here with our western mindset.. so you observe the Sabbath so what? They live and breath this every moment we do not. If someone thinks observing the Sabbath some how makes you a better Christian or you are passing some test.. well I can't find anything in Scripture OT/five books/Torah and NT saying that.

The Sabbath.. you know some reasons people think they must observe it is Jesus observe it! Amen He did yet there were not Christians back then no Church and they all were still under doing the law 613 of them. Are you? Well if you were going to run with JESUS did it.. then do the rest. When He was here it was only for the Jews.. that bread for the children was not for the dogs. My advice is.. you do what you believe. You pray you ask Him.. then ask Him to show you in His word where is that written? See He told us to test the spirits. So even if some Angel pop up saying you best be observing the Sabbath.. you better say "give me Chapter and verse and tell me we are washed by the BLOOD OF JESUS Christ!"

I think what God says would be more important than any man, denomination or tradition or group ...

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The Sabbath.. you know some reasons people think they must observe it is Jesus observe it! Amen He did yet there were not Christians back then no Church and they all were still under doing the law 613 of them. Are you?
1. is the test "the number of commands" in OT or NT..

NT has 1050

2. Paul says "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
John says "the saints keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
John says "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His commandments" 1 John 5:3

Paul says that the Law of God is such that "'Honor your father and mother' is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

you said "you know some reasons people think they must observe it is Jesus observe it! Amen He did" -- true, He did but there are many NT texts commanding us to keep God's commandments.

In Matt 22 when asked for the two greatest commandments -- Jesus quotes only from the Law of Moses
Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart"
Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself"

In Matt 19 new Jesus says that we must "Keep the Commandments" He is asked "which ones?" and His response comes only from the Law of Moses.

In Rom 13 Paul gives the same list as Christ in Matt 19 as being included in the Law of God - the Commandments of God for all mankind.

Is 66:23 for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. is the test "the number of commands" in OT or NT..

NT has 1050

2. Paul says "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
John says "the saints keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
John says "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His commandments" 1 John 5:3

Paul says that the Law of God is such that "'Honor your father and mother' is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

you said "you know some reasons people think they must observe it is Jesus observe it! Amen He did" -- true, He did but there are many NT texts commanding us to keep God's commandments.

In Matt 22 when asked for the two greatest commandments -- Jesus quotes only from the Law of Moses
Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart"
Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself"

In Matt 19 new Jesus says that we must "Keep the Commandments" He is asked "which ones?" and His response comes only from the Law of Moses.

In Rom 13 Paul gives the same list as Christ in Matt 19 as being included in the Law of God - the Commandments of God for all mankind.

Is 66:23 for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"
Very true...

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. Everyone who is saved is saved by faith through grace. Sabbath and the observance of the Torah is a matter of Obedience which you strive to do if you love God. John 14: 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. The lengths to which Christians will go to twist and distort Yeshuas's word never cease to amaze! First Yeshua is speaking to his APOSTLES just prior to his ascension into heaven! In verse 23 when asked for more detail Yeshua says " 23 Yeshua answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will follow My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our dwelling with him. He is making UNMISTAKABLY CLEAR that they are to be obedient to the Torah (the WORD)

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

You and I do not get to pick and decide what day is Sabbath. It is, always has been, always will be the 7th day and is PART of creation itself. If you want to keep sabbath then do what scripture tells you to do and discard the traditions of men!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Will it be the defining factor of one’s salvation- that I don’t know but the hositility over Sabbath-keeping seems to be growing and its the one commandment highly contested, which to me shows how much power is in the Sabbath in both directions. The Sabbath is on the test as it is one of God’s commandments written in the heart and mind. More and more people are coming to the light on the Bible Sabbath and being a joy to the Lord. Isaiah 58:13-14
I really like this reply.

God will bring things about so that everyone will understand its importance. He alone can do that so it will happen when He wants it to happen.

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟1.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No as to base your salvation on a work of The Law is to put yourself under the curse of The Law, that curse being death. Romans 5:1-9 "since we have now been justified by His blood". To be justified is to be made righteous before God and we are not made or proved righteous before God by the keeping of The Law, but through the blood of our Saviour. If your salvation is based on the obedience to The Law, so to will be your death. Our life through Christ is based on His works of The Law (His perfect life), His death, His resurrection and His ascension.

Romans 4:3-8

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No as to base your salvation on a work of The Law is to put yourself under the curse of The Law, that curse being death. Romans 5:1-9 "since we have now been justified by His blood". To be justified is to be made righteous before God and we are not made or proved righteous before God by the keeping of The Law, but through the blood of our Saviour. If your salvation is based on the obedience to The Law, so to will be your death. Our life through Christ is based on His works of The Law (His perfect life), His death, His resurrection and His ascension.

Romans 4:3-8
I don't have anything to say to all that other than to tell you you're posting in the Traditional Adventist forum.

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟1.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't have anything to say to all that other than to tell you you're posting in the Traditional Adventist forum.
I disagree with our eschatology and view of death (i.e. Soul Sleep) however I agree with the overwhelming majority of our other doctrines and will actively argue for them. I've found it hard to read Galatians, Romans & Hebrews while holding to a doctrine that boils down to "those who keep this specific commandment of The Law will be saved". I believe it is good to keep the Sabbath, even moral to do so in the same way to get married is (Genesis 2:3 is the strongest argument for keeping the Sabbath), however it does not define salvation the same way "thou shalt not steal" does not define it. Jesus Christ being the author and finisher of our salvation means that anything that came before does not grant it. We're bound to Him by faith, not by any work of The Law.

To keep the Sabbath in faith however is extremely beautiful and was God's desire for man to rest in Him, the same way it was His desire for us not to eat meat (even though there's nothing wrong with eating meat). So to your point, regarding the Sabbath I'm essentially SDA in practise or can be, but the doctrine & arguments used to get there are completely different as I believe the traditional use of The Law fails to justify the doctrines Adventism intends to teach. I understand that may not be traditional but I find I have no other Church home to go to with what I believe Scripture teaches and that Adventism is the only place I can be. The Liberal forms of Adventism are as a rule far too liberal but the traditional streams of Adventism are far too the other way; there seems to exist no place in the middle :\.

God bless :heart:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I disagree with our eschatology and view of death (i.e. Soul Sleep) however I agree with the overwhelming majority of our other doctrines and will actively argue for them. I've found it hard to read Galatians, Romans & Hebrews while holding to a doctrine that boils down to "those who keep this specific commandment of The Law will be saved". I believe it is good to keep the Sabbath, even moral to do so in the same way to get married is (Genesis 2:3 is the strongest argument for keeping the Sabbath), however it does not define salvation the same way "thou shalt not steal" does not define it. Jesus Christ being the author and finisher of our salvation means that anything that came before does not grant it. We're bound to Him by faith, not by any work of The Law.

To keep the Sabbath in faith however is extremely beautiful and was God's desire for man to rest in Him, the same way it was His desire for us not to eat meat (even though there's nothing wrong with eating meat). So to your point, regarding the Sabbath I'm essentially SDA in practise or can be, but the doctrine & arguments used to get there are completely different as I believe the traditional use of The Law fails to justify the doctrines Adventism intends to teach. I understand that may not be traditional but I find I have no other Church home to go to with what I believe Scripture teaches and that Adventism is the only place I can be. The Liberal forms of Adventism are as a rule far too liberal but the traditional streams of Adventism are far too the other way; there seems to exist no place in the middle :\.

God bless :heart:.
Sorry I didn't realize you're an Adventist. I don't find our doctrines unacceptable at all, especially in Galatians.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

There are a lot of Adventists that don't understand that the church rejected the message of righteousness by faith back in 1888. That's the message taught in Galatians 5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums