Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He's just another heretic in a long line of heretical popes. I honestly don't know how Catholics can even believe in their church.
It's that "one true church, only one founded by Christ" thing.

But why that is persuasive, it's hard to say.

Maybe for a lot of people it's the pride that comes from thinking they're part of the 'best' whatever it is (fan of Super Bowl champs, holder of an advanced college degree, descendant of nobility, member of the largest or oldest something, etc.).

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't see how disagreeing with this pope's views calls his Christianity into question. If he still believes in the Creed (which doesn't say anything about this issue) and professes it, then by the rules of this website, we have to consider him a Christian.

There's plenty that I don't agree with the RCC and Chalcedonians more generally on, but I've never thought to call them not Christian as a result. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and then claiming that there was never a baby in it.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ralfyman posted this on the previous page, and even though it does not officially speak for the Pope, it is something we all need to read and consider with regard to the Pope's supposed statements in the documentary..

Pope Francis’ homosexuality comments heavily edited in documentary, no Vatican comment on civil unions

I have a feeling that the Pope wants to be sure to word his statement very carefully regarding the way his words were edited in the documentary, and I would expect the Vatican to release a statement regarding this soon... but that is just my uninformed opinion. Read the article above for yourself, and make up you're own mind... but don't ignore it, because the article makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's one for y'all to try on for size. You tell me which ones of these the 'catholic' church falls into.

"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."
None.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The condemnation and hate I see in this thread scare me. What would an unbeliever think if he or she stumbled upon these posts? He or she certainly wouldn't think that we are loving, welcoming people. The fruit of our Christian lives should be love!

'Speaking the truth in love' (Ephesians 4:15)

IMO there are two extremes to be avoided. One is speaking the truth from impure motives, the other is trying to be so 'loving' that there is no truth is what is said. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh! There's a real (technical) difference there! You don't 'pray to Mary'? What is prayer but asking?

Yes, prayer is asking, like in these passages.

1. Genesis 24:23
    And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?

2. Genesis 32:29
    And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

3. Genesis 37:16
    And he said, I seek my brethren: tell me, I pray thee, where they feed their flocks.

4. Genesis 40:8
    And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you.

5. Joshua 7:19
    And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession unto him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.

6. Judges 16:6
    And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.

7. Judges 16:10
    And Delilah said unto Samson, Behold, thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith thou mightest be bound.

8. 1 Samuel 9:18
    Then Saul drew near to Samuel in the gate, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, where the seer's house is.

9. 1 Samuel 10:15
    And Saul's uncle said, Tell me, I pray thee, what Samuel said unto you.

10. 2 Samuel 1:4
    And David said unto him, How went the matter? I pray thee, tell me. And he answered, That the people are fled from the battle, and many of the people also are fallen and dead; and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also.

11. 2 Kings 8:4
    And the king talked with Gehazi the servant of the man of God, saying, Tell me, I pray thee, all the great things that Elisha hath done.

12. Jonah 1:8
    Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

immadatyou.gif

This thread is closed. Please see the flaming rule which includes:

• Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.