Is the cross symbol a good symbol for Christianity?

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know the history behind it...

I recently bought a stainless steel necklace with a cross as a pendant. I wear it all the time when I go out. But my mom asked me why I chose it considering how I'm not a Catholic.

And then it got me thinking... Is the cross symbol mainly a Catholic symbol? Or does it encompass all of Christianity? Is it even a good symbol?

Thank you.

GabrielTheWorshipper

I'm a nerdy guy... lol
Site Supporter
Apr 20, 2017
Indiana
✟54,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
t

I recently bought a stainless steel necklace with a cross as a pendant. I wear it all the time when I go out. But my mom asked me why I chose it considering how I'm not a Catholic.

And then it got me thinking... Is the cross symbol mainly a Catholic symbol? Or does it encompass all of Christianity? Is it even a good symbol?

Thank you.

I do not know about the origin. I tend to dodge Religious imagery like that because I prefer not to use anything that could possibly have pagan origins or something, or simply be unbiblical. Many modern things we consider Christian were not common among the Christians of old. I also prefer not to have images of Jesus, since we do not know what he looks like and therefore it feels more like idolatry. That isn't really him. And we don't know his birthday, so I don't celebrate Christmas. It has some negative backgrounds too. Christianizing pagan things has happened a lot over the years. I don't know a lot of details, but that's about all I think on the matter.

(I'm not judging those who do otherwise, cause like I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on this.)

• Useful
Reactions: Bee_Brian
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Unless it's a crucifix--cross with the body of Christ on it--your mother is quite wrong. The cross is the symbol used by almost all Christian denominations. Since the cross was the vehicle for mankind's salvation, the structure on which Christ gave his life for us, I'd think it's a "natural" as a symbol. It's meaningful.

But if you should want something else, the "fish" emblem that I know you've seen is sometimes worn instead, and that one was used by the early Christians. It isn't as readily recognized as such by the average person as is the cross, however.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me break down your post into the simple questions:

1) Is the cross a Catholic symbol?
No, it is used universally by all Christians (except Jehovah's Witnesses, which do not use any symbols at all). I have never seen a church with no crosses on it or in it.

2) Is it a good symbol?
Yes, as it is a symbol of the work done by Christ on the cross. Jesus himself uses the illustration of the cross:

And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." (Luke 9:23-24; ESV)
Consider also what is written in the Gospel according to John:

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up [on the cross], that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. (John 3:14-15; ESV)​

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A cross is a great symbol. A crucifix is an even better symbol. And no, the crucifix is not just a Catholic symbol. Christians have been using crucifixes for a very long time. Christians of many descriptions regularly wear and display crucifixes. Why? See below.

Romans 6
We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

1 Corinthians
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

2 Corinthians
For he was crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but in dealing with you we will live with him by the power of God

Galatians 2
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 3
O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified.

Galatians 6
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Reactions: tstor
Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
And no, the crucifix is not just a Catholic symbol. Christians of many descriptions regularly wear and display crucifixes.
I agree that it is not just a Catholic symbol, but I have never seen anyone other than a Catholic with a crucifix. I have never met a Lutheran, but it would appear by your profile picture and signature that there is no issue with it in Lutheran circles.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree that it is not just a Catholic symbol, but I have never seen anyone other than a Catholic with a crucifix. I have never met a Lutheran, but it would appear by your profile picture and signature that there is no issue with it in Lutheran circles.
No, in fact it is encouraged by many pastors. Besides Catholics and Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, even some Methodists regularly use crucifixes.

Can A Protestant Wear A Crucifix?

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

Bee, have you not read that God ordered Moses to erect a Bronze Serpent that all the Jews who looked upon it would be healed from a poisonous bite. Well, that Bronzed Serpent, represent Jesus Christ on the Cross, before Jesus Christ was born. That being the case, it is not bad nor is it Idol worship to wear a Cross with Christ on around your neck.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
t

I do not know about the origin. I tend to dodge Religious imagery like that because I prefer not to use anything that could possibly have pagan origins or something, or simply be unbiblical. Many modern things we consider Christian were not common among the Christians of old. I also prefer not to have images of Jesus, since we do not know what he looks like and therefore it feels more like idolatry. That isn't really him. And we don't know his birthday, so I don't celebrate Christmas. It has some negative backgrounds too. Christianizing pagan things has happened a lot over the years. I don't know a lot of details, but that's about all I think on the matter.

(I'm not judging those who do otherwise, cause like I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on this.)

Gabriel, FYI! The Cross with Christ on it is BIBLICAL.

Gabriel, Oh nO! I see that you have posted on your profile an Image of a cartoon face of a man, thats Idolatry! How dare you! lol lol lol JOKE!

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The cross as a Christian symbol is mentioned early on by Justin Martyr in the 2nd century in his First Apology:

For consider all the things in the world, whether without this form they could be administered or have any community. For the sea is not traversed except that trophy which is called a sail abide safe in the ship; and the earth is not ploughed without it: diggers and mechanics do not their work, except with tools which have this shape. And the human form differs from that of the irrational animals in nothing else than in its being erect and having the hands extended, and having on the face extending from the forehead what is called the nose, through which there is respiration for the living creature; and this shows no other form than that of the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Without the cross of Jesus Christ, there is no redemption of sin, with no redemption of sin there is no eternal life, without eternal life there is only eternal condemnation in Hell. Without the cross there is no Christianity. So, yes from that sense, the cross is a very good and great thing.

As far as wearing a cross necklace, God does not command it or forbid it, that means it is a preference. It is not a Roman Catholic thing, nor does it mean you are necessarily a Roman Catholic if you choose to wear one. I personally do not choose to wear one, but that is simply my choice. Wearing a cross necklace does not prove you are a Christian, nor does not wearing a cross mean that you are not a Christian.

Is the cross symbol mainly a Catholic symbol?

Roman Catholic, no, not at all. Many Roman Catholics may wear a crucifix, which depicts Jesus still on the cross, which is consistent with Rome's teachings, since Rome does not have a sufficient gospel and continually sacrifice Jesus every day in the blasphemy of the Mass.

Or does it encompass all of Christianity?

God, nor Christianity, does not command you to wear a cross, or forbid you from wearing a cross.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Thank you.

The cross is ubiquitous in Christianity in many forms as the predominant symbol of our faith, whether a plain cross, a crucifix, or some other variation.

St. Paul writes, "We preach Christ crucified" (1 Corinthians 1:23).

The cross in the ancient Roman world was an instrument and symbol of fear and terror, it represented Roman imperial power. It was used chiefly in the frontier provinces--Roman citizens were not subject to death by crucifixion--where the populace was still not entirely under Roman control. In Galilee and Judea the Romans frequently had to deal with a Jewish population that was "unruly" (in their mind) and there were several small to large rebellions that took place which resulted in Rome crucifying many people. Crucifixion was a public spectacle, intended to be a slow and painful death. People would be able to walk by and see the crucified as they were dying or their corpses allowed to hang naked in shame. The symbol was powerful: Rome was in charge, Caesar was lord and king, don't mess with Rome because Rome will always come out the victor.

This is where Christ's death on the cross matters, because we believe that Jesus who suffered an unjust and humiliating death on the cross by His death and resurrection triumphed over death, triumphed over the grave, subverting an instrument of terror and fear and violence into the instrument of life, redemption, and reconciliation with God.

When Paul says "We preach Christ crucified" he goes on, "a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"; it was a stumbling block for the Jews because a crucified Messiah was a cursed Messiah--a Jewish audience found it unthinkable that the Messiah could die such a horrific end, and foolishness to the Gentiles--to Greeks and Romans--for whom it was pure foolishness to preach that a man put to death by the cross could, in fact, be Lord and King and the One whom all things are made subject to.

It is precisely the cross that is the powerful symbol of Christian faith and hope: what was intended to be the symbol of death, terror, and oppression was subverted and made the means and symbol of life, salvation, and freedom.

It is precisely the brutal ugliness of the cross that makes the cross meaningful. Of course the cross is ugly, that's why Christ makes it beautiful. Of course the cross is tragic, that is why Christ has made it worth celebrating.

It is on the cross that Christ made a public spectacle of the powers and principalities of this world. It is on the cross that Christ has died the death of every man that, in and by Him, we have life in and with God and the hope that even as Christ was raised from the dead so shall we be raised up at His coming again.

Do not be of doubt about whether the cross is the symbol of our faith, or whether the cross should be honored and celebrated: it should be celebrated and honored with boldness. For we are the fools who preach the cross of Jesus Christ upon whom the whole world was made crucified, that upon rising from the dead there would be life and hope and freedom proclaimed to every living creature. What was crushed is whole, what was broken is healed, what was dead is a live. Jesus Christ, not Caesar, is Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the best reason to have a cross is to remind of this:

If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever will lose his life for my sake, the same will save it.
Luke 9:23-24

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some Christian denominations may not use the crucifix but the cross is pretty much the universal Christian symbol.

I am Anglican and a professed member of the Third Order of the Society of St. Francis of Assisi our profession cross is an embossed crucifix, so it is not just a Roman Catholic symbol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fifty years a Methodist. Ten years an Anglican. Cross around my neck under my shirt for 60 years. The cross and the sign of the cross have been symbols from Christianity since its earliest years. Whether you wear it on the outside of your shirt to proclaim you faith or inside your shirt to remind you of Whose you are does not matter. But feel free to wear it to proclaim your faith.

Luke 12: 8 "I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God."

Matthew 10:32 "Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven."

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's a strange thing to say i.m.o.
And then it got me thinking... Is the cross symbol mainly a Catholic symbol?
No.
Or does it encompass all of Christianity?
Yes.
Is it even a good symbol?
I think it is pretty good.
It's what it's about i.m.o.
Maybe better with Christ nailed on it.
You can't make a symbol of an empty grave, but you can make a symbol representing Him dying on the cross on our behalf.
Thank you.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0