MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's new details within Revelation, such as the mark of the beast, just as throughout the bible, since Genesis 3, more and more details about the Messiah are revealed.
You can go back to Genesis 3 and see that this is the first mention of Jesus... but you can't deny that we get a clearer and clearer picture of who Jesus is through the bible as it progresses, and ultimately, Revelation is the clearest picture of who Jesus is that we get in scripture, Amen?
I disagree. The gospels, as well as the other NT books, give a very clear picture of who Jesus is. I don't see that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture of who Jesus is than the rest of the NT.

You believe the wrath of God is a single day
I believe that about the final wrath of God, such as is mentioned in passages like Matthew 24:37-39, 1 Thess 5:2-3, 2 Thess 1:7-10, 2 Peter 3:10-12, Revelation 6:12-17, Revelation 14:18-20, Revelation 16:17-21, Revelation 19:11-21 and Revelation 20:9.

Revelation seems to teach that somehow, Jesus comes both before the wrath of God, and at the end of the wrath of God. Again, clearer picture.
No, it does not seem to teach that. And I don't accept this idea that the book of Revelation is supposed to give us a clearer picture of that than the rest of the NT at all.

The first and second coming were not clear in books like Isaiah. You can find it perhaps, but it's kind of veiled, scholars assumed a single coming of Messiah based on Messianic prophecy in the Old Testament.
That is completely irrelevant. Your argument here is that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture about the second coming than the rest of the New Testament does, is it not? I completely disagree with that. The NT as a whole gives a clearer picture than the Old Testament did, but there is no reason to think that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture than the rest of the New Testament.

Now I'm not sure if Jesus descends, takes us with Him to heaven, then returns, as pretrib, mid trib, and most pre-wrath would believe
or if I believe He just hangs out on the clouds for years as you're saying, I mean .. maybe? But not necessarily what I believe.
Where is the scripture which indicates that He takes us with Him to heaven after meeting Him in the air? What would be the point of meeting Him in the air in that case? Why not just meet Him in heaven?

As for the possibility of Him just hanging out on the clouds for years. Get serious. That is ridiculous and I can't take that seriously at all.

The other option is that He does touch down after the rapture after appearing in the clouds, and Joel Richardson has an interesting take where there's a "second exodus" of Jews that fled into the wilderness when the Great Tribulation began, some are in captivity, and others in hiding, and Jesus leads them back to Zion. The compelling piece of evidence for this is Isaiah 63, where Isaiah sees Jesus coming FROM Bozrah already with His clothes stained in blood.
It's one of the compelling sections of scripture for timing as well as Jesus uses both day and year interchangably.
I don't find this to be compelling at all. Very farfetched. And there's no other scripture that can be used to support that idea.

So yeah.. I find these details compelling... that Jesus is on the ground coming from the direction of Jordan, His clothes already stained in blood as they are in Revelation 19, and most curious and most compelling.... He is alone. The saints are not with Him. This is a strange detail in that most second coming mentions involve Jesus arriving with angels and all the saints.
I find that to be completely ridiculous and not compelling even a tiny bit. That's my opinion. His clothes being stained in blood figuratively represents the bloodshed He is about to deliver on the earth when He returns and has nothing to do with a battle He was involved in previous to what is described in Revelation 19. It's symbolic language. He's not going to be literally riding a horse or literally wearing a robe covered in blood or literally slaying people with a sword coming out of His mouth at that time.

I guess if I were to really piece together what I believe....
6th seal return in the clouds of Jesus, the rapture of the saints to heaven, and then Jesus is on the ground, splits the Mount of Olives, and then, while the saints are in Heaven, the wrath of God is poured out as Jesus Himself goes on a campaign to liberate and lead back the Remnant of Israel back from captivity/hiding across Jordan. Then when He reaches Armageddon, at the end of the wrath of God, the saints come back down from Heaven and are with Jesus.. He defeats all His enemies gathered against Him , and then begins ruling in Jerusalem.
This would mean it is a single second coming, but there is both Jesus appearing at the 6th seal before the wrath of God, and returning to Jerusalem at the end of the wrath of God, with Jesus being on the ground alone treading the winepress along the way in between.
Where is there any support for your theory in scripture, though? That's all speculation and nothing more. Can you show me where any of this is actually taught in the New Testament? Do you find anything like that in the Olivet Discourse or in any of Paul or Peter's teachings regarding the second coming?

I'm not holding that as dogma though.
What I do hold as dogma is that Jesus is both shown before the wrath of God, and at the end of the wrath of God, in 2 different events. The first being the rapture, the second being Armageddon.
Yet, scripture never teaches that. Instead, passages like 1 Thess 4:13-5:6 and 2 Thess 1:7-10 teach that Jesus returns, His people are gathered to Him and then He takes vengeance on His enemies. There's no indication anywhere of Him coming to gather His people to Himself, followed by a bunch of other stuff and then years later finally destroying His enemies.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. The gospels, as well as the other NT books, give a very clear picture of who Jesus is. I don't see that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture of who Jesus is than the rest of the NT.

The gospels give an only partial picture of who Jesus is, as the suffering servant on our behalf. Revelation, or, the full title of the book being "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" , shows the other side of Jesus, the Gospels reveal the lamb, the Revelation reveals the Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

I believe that about the final wrath of God, such as is mentioned in passages like Matthew 24:37-39, 1 Thess 5:2-3, 2 Thess 1:7-10, 2 Peter 3:10-12, Revelation 6:12-17, Revelation 14:18-20, Revelation 16:17-21, Revelation 19:11-21 and Revelation 20:9.

No, it does not seem to teach that. And I don't accept this idea that the book of Revelation is supposed to give us a clearer picture of that than the rest of the NT at all.

That is completely irrelevant. Your argument here is that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture about the second coming than the rest of the New Testament does, is it not? I completely disagree with that. The NT as a whole gives a clearer picture than the Old Testament did, but there is no reason to think that the book of Revelation gives a clearer picture than the rest of the New Testament.

Where is the scripture which indicates that He takes us with Him to heaven after meeting Him in the air? What would be the point of meeting Him in the air in that case? Why not just meet Him in heaven?

As for the possibility of Him just hanging out on the clouds for years. Get serious. That is ridiculous and I can't take that seriously at all.

I don't find this to be compelling at all. Very farfetched. And there's no other scripture that can be used to support that idea.

I find that to be completely ridiculous and not compelling even a tiny bit. That's my opinion. His clothes being stained in blood figuratively represents the bloodshed He is about to deliver on the earth when He returns and has nothing to do with a battle He was involved in previous to what is described in Revelation 19. It's symbolic language. He's not going to be literally riding a horse or literally wearing a robe covered in blood or literally slaying people with a sword coming out of His mouth at that time.

Where is there any support for your theory in scripture, though? That's all speculation and nothing more. Can you show me where any of this is actually taught in the New Testament? Do you find anything like that in the Olivet Discourse or in any of Paul or Peter's teachings regarding the second coming?

Yet, scripture never teaches that. Instead, passages like 1 Thess 4:13-5:6 and 2 Thess 1:7-10 teach that Jesus returns, His people are gathered to Him and then He takes vengeance on His enemies. There's no indication anywhere of Him coming to gather His people to Himself, followed by a bunch of other stuff and then years later finally destroying His enemies.

Revelation teaches that. You are viewing Revelation through a lens like the Pharisees viewed Jesus, since He did not liberate the Kingdom of Israel from the Romans and destroy them, well, He couldn't have been the messiah, because the old testament books prophecied that the Messiah would do these things and did not indicate two comings.

Instead of understanding progressive revelation, you hold things to an original revelation and then try to force later books to fit that mold.

If it doesn't fit the mold you say "symbollic language"

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it doesn't fit the mold you say "symbollic language"

Kinda like you do with the over 100+ scriptures that testify the event was "Near, about to take place, must shortly come to pass, is at hand, in a very very little while & coming without delay" because they don't fit your mold?

Maybe it's only Ok when YOU do it?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Kinda like you do with the over 100+ scriptures that testify the event was "Near, about to take place, must shortly come to pass, is at hand, in a very very little while & coming without delay" because they don't fit your mold?

Maybe it's only Ok when YOU do it?

Okay there Mr lives in a dream world without sin and death.

Have you ever been to a funeral?

Not to mention, that's rich. Preterism relies on making more prophecy into allegory than any other position.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay there Mr lives in a dream world without sin and death.

Have you ever been to a funeral?

Not to mention, that's rich. Preterism relies on making more prophecy into allegory than any other position.

Like I said, Mr. “all 100+ NT scriptures about the nearness of the timing are allegory”
….apparently it’s only OK when YOU allegorize over 100 scriptures….
You are no literalist.
Far from it.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Like I said, Mr. “all 100+ NT scriptures about the nearness of the timing are allegory”
….apparently it’s only OK when YOU allegorize over 100 scriptures….
You are no literalist.
Far from it.

Most of the use of language is "quickly" rather than soon.
Not the same thing. it means suddenly, not tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: DavidPT
Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean? Do you think what is described in Revelation 12:5 happens after what is described in Revelation 11:15-19?
Revelation 12 is the introduction of Satan into the narrative. The 7th Trumpet covers verse 7.

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,"

All verses before verse 7 happens at other times. Since Revelation 12 is the only chapter people keep giving as an excuse to forge their own personal chronology of Revelation, obviously it is the only chapter that can be used as an excuse.

No one ever explains the symbolism of the Flood out of Satan's mouth.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Haven't really thought that much about it myself. Are you able to explain it?
Other than it has never been mentioned in history, no. Seems a future event.

Compare the fire of Christ at the Second Coming with the dragon spewing water out of it's mouth. Water coming out of a dragon instead of fire? Normally water is used to put a fire out.

My thoughts are that when Jesus splits the Mount of Olives in two there is a valley that people flee through. The devil causes a wall of water to rush after them. A repeat of the dead sea event in Exodus, except this time the earth swallows the water, instead of the water swallowing the Egyptian army.

Christ parts the mountain like the sea was parted. Then the parted earth opens up more and swallows the Flood Satan tries to send. Daniel 9:26

"And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; (first century) and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.(Second Coming)"

Two parts to this destruction and desolation. Daniel also mentions a flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums