✟829,425.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
From the Catechism 2418

Is taxidermy a good thing for this reason? Is there a need to have a 'room of death'?

Maybe not; however Museum collections do serve a purpose in that they promote conservation of wildlife. Be mindful that with the trophy hunting and specimen collecting that began with the great safaris of Victorian times through into the 1970's, few museum are stuffing anything these days; they do, however re-stuf and repair the skins and mounts that they have.

We had two Jewish Commedians up here in Canada through the 60's, 70's, John Wayne (not the cowboy) and Frank Schuster. They did a spoof on a British movie about a safari; a few minutes in they introduce their taxidermist, Smedley, whom, when they shoot something, they give it to him and tell him to "go stuff it". It's quite humorous, and the whole clip is just under 9 minutes; and it's a great example of true Canadian humour; enjoy:
Wayne and Shuster - The Search for the Source of the Don - YouTube

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Commandments 1-6 are treated as one commandment by Catholics.

It forbids creating an image and worshiping it as a god, which was common among the pagan people the Israelites were surrounded by, including the Egyptians whom they just escaped from.

Taxidermy is not a sin.

However, those who have a trophy animal mounted, often do it out of pride in the great animal they killed.

You have discern your intent on such things.

Jim

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,425.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

It forbids creating an image and worshiping it as a god, which was common among the pagan people the Israelites were surrounded by, including the Egyptians whom they just escaped from.

Taxidermy is not a sin.

However, those who have a trophy animal mounted, often do it out of pride in the great animal they killed.

Jim

Well said Jim!

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Taxidermy is not a sin.

Jim

Is there a sufficient need to trophy hunt to satisfy the Catechism's requirement that animals not suffer and die needlessly?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is there a sufficient need to trophy hunt to satisfy the Catechism's requirement that animals not suffer and die needlessly?

There's no need to trophy hunt in of itself, and I think hunting at hunt clubs that are operated in some states, where the animals are raised, and baited just to be shot, to be unethical.

However, in the wild, hunting involves eating the meat from the animal that is taken and if it happens to be a deer with a large rack, it's probably a good idea to have it mounted.

Hunting is a necessary wild-life management. Without it, the deer populations overpopulate and then starve and get disease which can spread to other animals including domestic stock.

Jim

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's no need to trophy hunt in of itself, and I think hunting at hunt clubs that are operated in some states, where the animals are raised, and baited just to be shot, to be unethical.

However, in the wild, hunting involves eating the meat from the animal that is taken and if it happens to be a deer with a large rack, it's probably a good idea to have it mounted.

Hunting is a necessary wild-life management. Without it, the deer populations overpopulate and then starve and get disease which can spread to other animals including domestic stock.

Jim
:thumbsup: Agree & absolutely correct.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We deal with the DNR a lot. We know when deer are sick, otters being released, beaver populations, etc.

I'm a huge animal lover. Not a person on the earth that would not vouch for that. But as heartbreaking as it is, in the real world you have to be aware of these things & do things as humanely as possible for the greater good of the whole animal community.

I have no use for people that farm animals to be hunted & the hunters that pay to shoot them for trophies.

But if someone lands a trophy buck ethically, you turn it in & it is mounted. I see nothing wrong with that. 2 seasons ago a man landed an atypical buck that was HUGE. Cabelas bought it for 400,000. for their shows & displays. The guy was struggling & this came as a blessing to him.

Many here hunt for the poor as well & the meat is donated to rescue missions.

You have to look at the big picture.

There are good hunters & there are bad hunters. I don't let anyone on my property that I am not certain is not a good & humane hunter.

Fr. Mitch Pacwa hunts. A Jesuit. So do a lot of other priests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shows like this reality show about taxidermy, and most taxidermy in general...is it an art that is performed after all the meat has been eaten, or are those animals just killed for the mounts?
Most of the reality shows I've seen are using road kill. You know it's just a pelt over a molded plastic form right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Shows like this reality show about taxidermy, and most taxidermy in general...is it an art that is performed after all the meat has been eaten, or are those animals just killed for the mounts?

Most hunters harvest the meat and then bring the head to the taxidermist.

They don't waste anything.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Fran75 said:
Yeah, it is on YouTube too: Bob and Tom Mr Obvious Show - fish

I work evenings so I haven't listened to Bob and Tom in about a year. If I remember right, there were several Mr. Obvious skits.

Upvote 0