Is Suffering all there is for the Christian?

Jobewan Canoli

Sep 27, 2022
Middle Tennessee
✟15,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My youngest son believes that suffering is how we commune with God. Indeed, there is a lot of scripture suggesting this to be so.

But is suffering the only lot in this life for the Christian? The only way to be close to God? I believe the answer is, no.

If I'm honest, it has been the difficult times that have delivered the most profound and enduring lessons.

But if suffering is all there is in this place, why prolong the experience? (this is a strawman argument for the sake of encouraging meaningful discussion on the subject)

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I experience less suffering as a Christian and so do those around me...
Christianity is what takes us through suffering and into growth
Otherwise, you've got an array of chemicals you can try
Which are pretty good at temporarily blunting personal suffering
But I'd have to say the amount of personal growth I achieved while drunk
Was less than Zero

Individual experiences may vary
But I have yet to find one :)

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are called by God to be overcomers and we are not promised an easy life, but He will bring us safely through to the end. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've had quite a lot of health dificulties in my life and the result of going through many hard times has taught me to rely upon him, more than I otherwise would have learned to. I don't think that we are always naturally fitted to being those who are best ready to serve Him. We are vessels which sometime need to be remade into vessels unto honour for The Masters use!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My youngest son believes that suffering is how we commune with God. Indeed, there is a lot of scripture suggesting this to be so.

But is suffering the only lot in this life for the Christian? The only way to be close to God? I believe the answer is, no.

If I'm honest, it has been the difficult times that have delivered the most profound and enduring lessons.

But if suffering is all there is in this place, why prolong the experience? (this is a strawman argument for the sake of encouraging meaningful discussion on the subject)
Welcome to CF. I consider suffering events that effect the flesh both physically and emotionally. As Christians we thrive in the Spirit, His Holy Spirit. The flesh is weak but the Spirit is willing. He is our Comforter while we are in the flesh and if we remain in Him, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, our suffering will be eased through our faith.
Now as Christians Jesus Christ of Nazareth made it clear that we would suffer "persecution "for His namesake. We see this taking place in nations that forbid Christianity. This is real and those who endure till the end will be saved.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't speak for anyone else, but as I go through life's difficulties, it is often a confirmation to me that I am His child and He is mine! How are we meant to triumph in adversities, if we never have any adversities.

But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
(Job 23:10)

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found we do not have to be a Watchman Nee or a Richard Wurmbrand for example to know what it means for the Lord to apply the cross to our lives. I have often said if we truly mean business with the Lord, truly desire to go on with Him, it does not matter where we live under what government He knows how to take us and empty us on the backside of Midian. But we come up out of those places the better for it. We come up through those experiences like Paul in Philippians 3 knowing we have come through something that has allowed us to come into something of Christ we otherwise wouldn't have known and and we are all the more thankful for it.

But with that said I have found the Lord also has His Elims. The place where we enter into shortly after singing joyfully the victory Song of Moses that has twelve wells of water and 70 palms (Exodus 15:27). The Lord is good to do both. But something tells me that although the Lord loves both, the songs Paul and Silas sang to Him in prison were even more joyful to Him than the victory songs of Moses. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There is also great joy. Read the Psalms, joy is all over the place.

Upvote 0

Jobewan Canoli

Sep 27, 2022
Middle Tennessee
✟15,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 7, sin lives in our flesh so suffering is inevitable because we can't indulge in fleshly pleasures if we want to obey God.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

In response I would ask this: can we indulge in no fleshly pleasures and obey God at the same time? I ask sincerely and am not baiting in any way. For instance, sex within the confines of marriage. Or enjoying a good meal. Or appreciating Creation.

What are to make of the Song of Solomon?

My son mostly references the Apostle Paul's writings, a man for which marriage was something to be avoided, even though it is a picture of the relationship between Christ and the Church, with Jesus himself referring to marriage in the affirmative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jobewan Canoli

Sep 27, 2022
Middle Tennessee
✟15,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is also great joy. Read the Psalms, joy is all over the place.

This is my assertion. I have known suffering, not like some, but more than many. I cannot abide the notion that it is the only method by which we can commune with God. If that's the case, then Lord what will I do? (hymn reference)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums