Is "sin" and "unrighteousness" the same thing?

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well obviously since 1 John 1:9 makes a distinction, there is some sort of difference between the two. The question then is, what is the difference? And frankly, I have no real idea.
4_12_10.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
If unrighteousness is the opposite of righteousness, what's the opposite of sin?

The word for sin is taken from the Greek "amartia" which means to miss the mark (literally to miss the bull's eye).

So if sinning is missing the bull's eye, then the opposite is hitting the bull's eye right on.

This means that unless we are living the Christian live with a clean conscious, we are sinning. We sin or we don't. That's scary.

So St. John said in his writings that if we say we do not sin, then we are a liar.

A righteous person accepts the fact that he is a sinner, but trusts in God's mercy for salvation. When he sins, he immediately repents. He falls, apologizes, and then gets right back up to walk the Christian way of life. This is the way of eternal life.

The unrighteous person doesn't care that he is a sinner, and easily abandons the Christian way of life. This is the way of death.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
The word for sin is taken from the Greek "amartia" which means to miss the mark (literally to miss the bull's eye).

So if sinning is missing the bull's eye, then the opposite is hitting the bull's eye right on.

Right. So what is the word for the opposite of sinning? Is there an English word for the opposite of sinning?

Or, when we are not sinning, what is it that we are doing? When we are not committing an act of sin, what are we committing an act of?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
Right. So what is the word for the opposite of sinning? Is there an English word for the opposite of sinning?

Or, when we are not sinning, what is it that we are doing? When we are not committing an act of sin, what are we committing an act of?

Sin is negation - missing the mark

Repentance would be the opposite of sinning - living in the presence of God.

So I think the opposite of the sinner would be the publican who turned to God in repentance and begged God's mercy.

Therefore the Saints of God (Those who walk in the way of the Lord) are the repentant and the broken hearted.

We sin or we repent.

So I would say based on the Parable of the Publican and the Pharisee that Christ gave us an excellent example of repentance and sinfulness.

To live in righteousness is to be repentant. The state of repentance precludes sin.

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
Sin is negation - missing the mark

Does this make sense?

Yes and no. I know what you're saying, but you haven't answered the question.

So, as examples, if I'm in the middle of lying to someone, then that act is 'sinning'. But then, I've realized what I've done, so I repent. Now that I've repented, I'm now, say, washing my car. Am I sinning or am I still repenting? So if I'm not committing an act of sinning, I'm continually repenting? Or is there a neutral area where I'm doing neither?

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
andry said:

IMHO, as Christians we are engaged in pursuing personal holiness on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
Yes and no. I know what you're saying, but you haven't answered the question.

So, as examples, if I'm in the middle of lying to someone, then that act is 'sinning'. But then, I've realized what I've done, so I repent. Now that I've repented, I'm now, say, washing my car. Am I sinning or am I still repenting? So if I'm not committing an act of sinning, I'm continually repenting? Or is there a neutral area where I'm doing neither?

Very Excellent Question, Andry

The true saints of God live in the eternal presence. Most of us unfortunately are not really committed to the Lord like we should be. We let distractions (food, sports, novels, TV and computers) dull our senses so that we cannot pray ceaselessly and always have the mind of God before us.

Truly there are times when we are neither sinning nor repenting. Those are the times when we are most open to temptation because we are not vigilant.

That is why the Holy Bible reminds us:

Be sober, be watchful for the devil roams about like a lion seeking whom he may devour. Resist him firm in the faith. (typed from memory)

Lovingly in the Risen Lord,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Christopher Jon

Sep 19, 2019
Southern California
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
1 John 1:9 makes a distinction. What do you all think?

This is a good topic. Here’s some thoughts...

1. Sin is something we do
2. The power of sin is pretty much synonymous with our sinful nature
3. Unrighteousness is a state or a state of being. I read one author state that it is ‘the sum total of our sin, wickedness and iniquity all of it rising to the level of being evil”. Really bad stuff. Before Christ we had no choice but to obey it and do the bidding of these things. After Christ while the sinful nature is still present along with our body with its desires, we have been disengaged from it, been crucified with Christ and risen to become a new creature, a resurrected human being. Romans 6.
4. Sinfulness is the practice of sin meaning one practices those things that are sinful. Before Christ this embodies everything about us, after Christ we may try to practice sin, and may fumble the ball so to speak (we will sin see 1 John 1), but it gives us not the pleasure it once did... I found myself a really miserable person.
5. Righteousness is a state of being. In the sight of the God, we have been declared as righteous by virtue of our Justification, that cannot be undone. OTOH, the challenge the Holy Spirit has now is to make us righteous since we will still sin since our sinful nature is still present, and when we do sin see 1 John1:9...this Sanctification will take the balance of our life. My personal challenge in this is to believe that God’s grace is enough to Justify me, and also Sanctify me. Still studying God’s word on this.
7. Justification, being saved as some call it, removes the penalty for sin. Sanctification is the process of defeating defeat, iow, giving us dominion through faith in His grace over the power of sin.... someday we will be glorified even as Jesus has been glorified, albeit saved sinners as opposed to who Jesus is. In that day we will be removed from the presence of sin.... HTH, Chris

Upvote 0