Huldah

Oct 25, 2011
Kentucky
✟8,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this why God said Jacob do I love and Esau do I hate? Romans 9:13, Malachi 1:3
Samael (Hebrew: סמאל‎) (also Sammael and Samil) is an important archangel in Talmudic and post-Talmudic lore, a figure who is accuser, seducer and destroyer, and has been regarded as both good and evil. It is said that he was the guardian angel of Esau and a patron of the Roman empire.
He is considered in legend a member of the heavenly host (with often grim and destructive duties), and equatable with Satan and the chief of the evil spirits. One of Samael's greatest roles in Jewish lore is that of the angel of death. He remains one of the Lord's servants even though he appears to want men to do evil. As a good angel, Samael resides in the seventh heaven, although he is declared to be the chief angel of the fifth heaven.
In Jewish lore, Samael is said to be the angel of death, the chief ruler of the Fifth Heaven and one of the seven regents of the world served by two million angels; he resides in the Heaven. Yalkut I, 110 of the Talmud speaks of Samael as Esau's guardian angel. In Sotah 10b, Samael is Esau's guardian angel, and in the Sayings of Rabbi Eliezer, he is charged with being the one who tempted Eve, then seduced and impregnated her with Cain. Though some sources identify Gadreel as the angel that seduced Eve, other Hebrew scholars say that it was Samael who tempted Eve in the guise of the Serpent. Samael is also sometimes identified as being the angelic antagonist who wrestled with Jacob, and also the angel who held back the arm of Abraham as he was about to sacrifice his son.
According to "The Ascension of Moses" (Chapter IV - Aggadah - The Legend of The Jews - By Louis Ginzberg) Samael is also mentioned as being in 7th Heaven:
In the last heaven Moses saw two angels, each five hundred parasangs in height, forged out of chains of black fire and red fire, the angels Af, "Anger," and Hemah, "Wrath," whom God created at the beginning of the world, to execute His will. Moses was disquieted when he looked upon them, but Metatron embraced him, and said, "Moses, Moses, thou favorite of God, fear not, and be not terrified," and Moses became calm. There was another angel in the seventh heaven, different in appearance from all the others, and of frightful mien. His height was so great, it would have taken five hundred years to cover a distance equal to it, and from the crown of his head to the soles of his feet he was studded with glaring eyes, at the sight of which the beholder fell prostrate in awe. "This one," said Metatron, addressing Moses, "is Samael, who takes the soul away from man." "Whither goes he now?" asked Moses, and Metatron replied, "To fetch the soul of Job the pious." Thereupon Moses prayed to God in these words, "O may it be Thy will, my God and the God of my fathers, not to let me fall into the hands of this angel.
I know nothing of fifth heavens nor of seventh heavens. I'm just curious as to Satan's real name. I don't believe it to be Lucifer. Lucifer is mentioned only once in the Bible and that's in reference to a real person.

Last edited:

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
"Is Satan's name Samael?"

I see "satan" as a job description, one that is held by many different fallen angels and demons. Capitalized "Satan" still can mean several different entities, Lucifer and Samael being just two of them. Or so the theory goes. I think I heard that there are 13 Satans in total.

If we abandon the idea that angels are simplistic creature that do absolutely everything either in complete subjugation to either God or the Devil, we might accept the possibility that there is much more going on behind the scenes than what the Bible has told us.

My favorite version of the possible history of this, is that Samael was the first angel to fall, leading an almost successful war against heaven in a bid for the throne. He and his warriors were then cast out of heaven, and quarantined in Hell. Lucifer (or the angel we call Lucifer) was the figurehead of the second angelic war, which was fought for the freedom of choice moreso than as any kind of attempt to overthrow the authority of Heaven. These angels, being seen as less of a danger, were allowed to fall to Earth rather than being imprisoned in hell like the first batch.

Lucifer is very intelligent, and would not fight a war he knew he couldn't win. "Freedom" was the objective, and what he and his angels now have. And they are still used by God somewhat, in the temptation of Man's hearts, to show us our deepest desires and bring them to light. Once our motivations are known (to us), we then have the choice to pursue them or to submit them before God for Him to teach us how to alter our behaviour. The First Commandment; "Thou shalt love the Lord your God with all your heart..." -- It is not a command we are supposed to figure out how to accomplish on our own, but with the help of God all things are possible!!

Some say that Samael works on our base human lusts and desires, while Lucifer works with intelligence. IDK. I don't put effort into trying to identify the difference between these guys too much. But I think some of the original fallen have been paroled out of Hell (for good behaviour? lol), while others can become a hazard to the interests of Heaven and find themselves captured and imprisoned there. I see a balance maintained, kind of like a cold war.

As for their future, the book of Revelation speaks about the White Throne Judgement sometime in the future, where angels are judged and Satan is cast into the bottomless pit. But I see the book as highly metaphorical, so I'm not certain any of the events are supposed to be taken as literal future happenings. Sometimes I flat out question whether Revelation is supposed to be in the biblical canon or not! ;)

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I see "satan" as a job description, one that is held by many different fallen angels and demons. Capitalized "Satan" still can mean several different entities, Lucifer and Samael being just two of them.

Except according to the Bible Lucifer was the king of Babylon not a fallen angel or demon. It is later Christian mythology which equates him with Satan.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Except according to the Bible Lucifer was the king of Babylon not a fallen angel or demon. It is later Christian mythology which equates him with Satan.

Tobias is not my real name, but it is the name I expect everybody to call me around here. For the past millennium and a half people have been calling this guy "Lucifer". Whether they got his name right in the beginning, or mistook him for another god or even a human king, the fact is this is the name we know him by and the one that he answers to!

I think there are probably some Luciferians who believe he has told them his real name, or perhaps it is just a different name that he wishes them to call him. IDK. But even if I did know this other name, I would still call him Lucifer because I am not interested in having that kind of familiarity with him! Also, everybody else knows exactly who I'm talking about. :cool:

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think there are probably some Luciferians who believe he has told them his real name, or perhaps it is just a different name that he wishes them to call him. IDK. But even if I did know this other name, I would still call him Lucifer because I am not interested in having that kind of familiarity with him!

Not all Luciferians are theistic, just so's you knows.

If you want some reliable information I could point you in a direction to find some, as I doubt it would be a particularly considerate thing to discuss on a forum with the purpose this one has.

Also, everybody else knows exactly who I'm talking about. :cool:

Everyone in the English speaking world at least. Honestly, I have no idea what the Orthodox Christians would make of it if they're not acquainted with the idea that Lucifer (correctly or not) can be a name associated with Satan. I suppose I should ask.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In an amusing coincidence, I was watching an episode of the The Real Ghostbusters (the animated series based on Ivan Reitman's movies), "The Devil To Play" in which Ray and Winston audition for a fake game show, not knowing it's hosted by a minor demon. The final question dealt with the devil's name...

The Real Ghostbusters - Race the Devil - YouTube

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Samael meaning "blind God" was a name given by the Sethians to the demiruge. See Hypostasis of the Archons for more information:

"Their chief is blind; because of his power and his ignorance and his arrogance he said, with his power, "It is I who am God; there is none apart from me." When he said this, he sinned against the entirety. And this speech got up to incorruptibility; then there was a voice that came forth from incorruptibility, saying, "You are mistaken, Samael" - which is, "god of the blind." "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That is probably just one from a dizzying list of aliases. This is the kind of occultic knowledge I neither need nor want. Occult knowledge is a poison apple, if you ask me.

Maybe you're just allergic. I'm happy and healthy physically and spiritually.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lucifer is mentioned only once in the Bible and that's in reference to a real person.

Which by no means states or implies it can't also refer to something deeper. And many times entities had their names changed, by God. I believe Scripture supports that Lucifer fell - and is no more. How would it benefit you to know various demon names?

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hm, knowing demon names might be useful if I was writing the screenplay for another one of those films where a demon takes over Denzel Washinton just you know, for some authenticity?

Or maybe reading ancient manuscripts.

Oh yeah, I don't do either of those.

Nevermind. I'll go back to reading the Kitler site now...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hm, knowing demon names might be useful if I was writing the screenplay for another one of those films where a demon takes over Denzel Washinton just you know, for some authenticity?

Maybe someone will write the real "Tobin's Spirit Guide" one day.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Who's Tobin?

John Horace Tobin, the fictional author of the fictional book "Tobin's Spirit Guide"; a compilation of information regarding supernatural entities, events, and other related facts. The cast reference the book many times in the "The Real Ghostbusters" animated series based on Ivan Reitman's movies.

Upvote 0