Is Roberts Timing Planned Alito, Thomas Exits?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,137,451.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like most of you, I'm shocked, disappointed and unsurprised that the Supreme Court made an ethics policy and promptly threw it in the trash.
Presiding over this is a Chief Justice who is always said to be concerned about his legacy.
The outright unchecked corruption and borderline treason of Thomas and Alito will justifiably be condemned by current and future historians. So what's up?
A political Chief Justice is, I believe waiting to ax them until there is a Republican president and Senate--even if in the meantime their graft piles up.
Should Trump win (heaven forbid) they'll be out the door, to be replaced by younger compromised replacements like Aileen Cannon.
Not that adding manipulation to shielding corruption would move him up from the reserved position of worst Chief Justice ever.
Jeffrey Toobin was very prophetic in writing about Roberts in "The Nine."

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,419,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Like most of you, I'm shocked, disappointed and unsurprised that the Supreme Court made an ethics policy and promptly threw it in the trash.
Presiding over this is a Chief Justice who is always said to be concerned about his legacy.
The outright unchecked corruption and borderline treason of Thomas and Alito will justifiably be condemned by current and future historians. So what's up?
A political Chief Justice is, I believe waiting to ax them until there is a Republican president and Senate--even if in the meantime their graft piles up.
Should Trump win (heaven forbid) they'll be out the door, to be replaced by younger compromised replacements like Aileen Cannon.
Not that adding manipulation to shielding corruption would move him up from the reserved position of worst Chief Justice ever.
Roberts just needs to do what is right.

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What authority does the Chief Justice have to axe anybody?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,419,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
With what mechanism?

So, his enforcement mechanism is brow-beating them?
I don't think there is a mechanism of enforcement availabl, which is why congress should address the situation. But our current congree is incapacitated by MAGA. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there is a mechanism of enforcement availabl, which is why congress should address the situation. But our current congree is incapacitated by MAGA. :sigh:
The conundrum is that pesky “separation-of-powers” doctrine, again.

Any Act of Congress that impinges on the Judicial Branch will be adjudged as violating the doctrine; the Branches each make their own rules (which are in effect “laws” for how intra-branch discipline is to be applied)…Congress cannot impose requirements upon the Judiciary without first amending the Constitution to allow for such actions by the Legislative Branch over any objections that the Judiciary Branch.

The tl;dr “Ain’t gonna happen”

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The conundrum is that pesky “separation-of-powers” doctrine, again.

Any Act of Congress that impinges on the Judicial Branch will be adjudged as violating the doctrine; the Branches each make their own rules (which are in effect “laws” for how intra-branch discipline is to be applied)…Congress cannot impose requirements upon the Judiciary without first amending the Constitution to allow for such actions by the Legislative Branch over any objections that the Judiciary Branch.

The tl;dr “Ain’t gonna happen”
Not true. By the Constitution, Congress has strong powers regarding the jurisdiction and organization of the courts. There are *binding* ethics rules for lower federal courts, but the SC is exempted from those by law. That law could be changed.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not true. By the Constitution, Congress has strong powers regarding the jurisdiction and organization of the courts. There are *binding* ethics rules for lower federal courts, but the SC is exempted from those by law. That law could be changed.
The whole point of the Separation-of-Powers Doctrine is to keep the Branches from encroaching, “too much” on the other Branches.

Courts rule over the Executive Branch but cannot compel a President to issue a Proclamation, or an Executive Order, something that is under the Chief-Executive’s purview.

Congress getting all up in SCOTUS’ internal business seems an “endstage” move and unwise.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The whole point of the Separation-of-Powers Doctrine is to keep the Branches from encroaching, “too much” on the other Branches.

Courts rule over the Executive Branch but cannot compel a President to issue a Proclamation, or an Executive Order, something that is under the Chief-Executive’s purview.
They rule on cases. That's all they are permitted to do.
Congress getting all up in SCOTUS’ internal business seems an “endstage” move and unwise.
They already set the rules for all other federal courts. SCOTUS isn't any different. It was Congress that created the circuit courts as courts of appeals between the trial courts and the Supreme Court. They could add another layer in between if they wanted to. It is Congress that put appeals in patent cases into the Federal Circuit (the name of a specific court located near the White House) rather than the various geographic circuits where most appeals are heard. Setting procedures for ethics rules is certainly within the power of Congress. Given the failure of the Supreme Court to set real rules for itself, it is the *duty* of Congress to create the rules for them.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
They rule on cases. That's all they are permitted to do.

Agreed
They already set the rules for all other federal courts. SCOTUS isn't any different. It was Congress that created the circuit courts as courts of appeals between the trial courts and the Supreme Court. They could add another layer in between if they wanted to. It is Congress that put appeals in patent cases into the Federal Circuit (the name of a specific court located near the White House) rather than the various geographic circuits where most appeals are heard. Setting procedures for ethics rules is certainly within the power of Congress. Given the failure of the Supreme Court to set real rules for itself, it is the *duty* of Congress to create the rules for them.
I will admit that I am up against the furthest wall of my knowledge on this topic, and will take this under advisement for later “mulling-over”, so lemme just say that I’ll stipulate (for now) that you are “correct”, do we honestly see anything coming out of the 118th Congress to address these issues?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Agreed

I will admit that I am up against the furthest wall of my knowledge on this topic, and will take this under advisement for later “mulling-over”, so lemme just say that I’ll stipulate (for now) that you are “correct”, do we honestly see anything coming out of the 118th Congress to address these issues?

I checked possible sources and found this article on jurisdiction that coincided with my memory of the topic:

Jurisdiction stripping - Wikipedia

As for this Congress (118th), I highly doubt it. The Senate, which has talked about ethics reform, is being slow to move and even if they somehow passed it, I doubt Speaker Johnson would even bring it to the floor and would probably call it an attack on JJ Alito and Thomas.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0