Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Consider the life of Joe. A typical day is getting up in the morning, taking a shower, going to work at a job he really doesn’t care about; but does it because he likes the pay. After 8 hours, he leaves work, goes to the gym, for an hour then goes home; sits in front of the TV, eat dinner and watch his favorite TV programs till its time to go to bed then everything starts all over again.

On weekends he may have dinner with his girl friend, perhaps see a movie, play darts or pool at the local bar with friends, instead of going to work, but everything else is pretty much the same; and Joe is perfectly happy doing this. Is there really meaning or a sense of purpose to Joe’s life? Does it really matter if he is happy following this routine? Is purpose/meaning in your life really necessary? Your thoughts?

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ken-1122 said:
Does it really matter if he is happy following this routine? Is purpose/meaning in your life really necessary? Your thoughts?

Our meaning and purpose is something intrinsic, rather than a mere subjective feeling. In Joe's case, even if his conscience is desensitized to feel that something is wrong in the way he lives, he still isn't fulfilling the end of his creation.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Our meaning and purpose is something intrinsic, rather than a mere subjective feeling. In Joe's case, even if his conscience is desensitized to feel that something is wrong in the way he lives, he still isn't fulfilling the end of his creation.
What does it mean to fulfill the end of your creation, and what's the worse that can happen if one goes through life neglecting to fulfill this?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Consider the life of Joe. A typical day is getting up in the morning, taking a shower, going to work at a job he really doesn’t care about; but does it because he likes the pay. After 8 hours, he leaves work, goes to the gym, for an hour then goes home; sits in front of the TV, eat dinner and watch his favorite TV programs till its time to go to bed then everything starts all over again.

On weekends he may have dinner with his girl friend, perhaps see a movie, play darts or pool at the local bar with friends, instead of going to work, but everything else is pretty much the same; and Joe is perfectly happy doing this. Is there really meaning or a sense of purpose to Joe’s life? Does it really matter if he is happy following this routine? Is purpose/meaning in your life really necessary? Your thoughts?

Purpose - he goes to work because it provides a better existence for him in society rather than living under a bridge (and actually some people are ok with that).

Is his life meaningful? That is .... having a serious, important, or useful quality or purpose? What of the things (as stated above) Joe is "happy with" and doing are serious, important or useful? You'd have to ask Joe.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Purpose is the central point in my life. Everything flows from this position. I make sure my actions, connections, and thoughts align with the path the Holy Spirit has revealed. I'm intentional in how I spend my time and where I invest my resources and energy. And I prune my life judiciously to keep things on track. There are a lot of things I don't do because of my purpose. And I don't regret that at all.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Purpose - he goes to work because it provides a better existence for him in society rather than living under a bridge (and actually some people are ok with that).

Is his life meaningful? That is .... having a serious, important, or useful quality or purpose? What of the things (as stated above) Joe is "happy with" and doing are serious, important or useful? You'd have to ask Joe.
Joe is happy dating his girlfriend, and playing darts and pool with his friends at the local bar. Is this serious, important, or useful? Probably not; but he is happy doing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So God will punish you if you neglect to fulfill your purpose in life? Is this something he will send you to hell for?

Let's first understand what our purpose is before answering your questions. I'll begin with you, what do you think our purpose is?

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So God will punish you if you neglect to fulfill your purpose in life? Is this something he will send you to hell for?

He will only send you to hell I you are not saved...

We just don't get rewards for service to Christ..

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Joe has dinner with his girlfriend.
She has set out cloth napkins and candlelight, as she has been to the travel agent that day to get some estimated prices for some of her travel dreams. She tells Joe how she wants the two of them to go to Alaska to view the Northern Lights

My wife just got back from Norway to see the Northern Lights, she went with a friend because I said I had no interest in being on a boat in winter in the arctic circle.

We were both happy with that decision.

excited even more that he wants to go to Singapore, and ride the cruise ship that goes along the coast, and numerous times be on the largest Ferris wheel in the world there.

Lived there for 10 years. She needs to find something that's actually exciting to be excited about. For much of that time, my wife lived in Australia.

In other words, Joe's life will go from happy to unhappy if he decides to live someone else's dreams instead of his own, nor will said pointless sacrifice make his life any more meaningful.

Life has whatever meaning you decide to impugn it with.

Purpose is the central point in my life. Everything flows from this position.

Mine too. My purpose is to be happy.

There are a lot of things I don't do because of my purpose. And I don't regret that at all.

Me too...but then that flows from the central premise.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are all at different stages of growth. Give Joe a break. Joe's girlfriend seems to have a lot of "wants". Joe seems at peace with a simple life. Nothing wrong with that. kind of Zen. But as usual, love opens him to more than he would have dreamed on his own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let's first understand what our purpose is before answering your questions. I'll begin with you, what do you think our purpose is?
I don't think we have a purpose unless we choose to make one for ourselves... unless the person is a slave; then his purpose in life is whatever his master demands of him.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Joe is happy dating his girlfriend, and playing darts and pool with his friends at the local bar. Is this serious, important, or useful? Probably not; but he is happy doing it.

Yep ... it's all about Joe and his happiness ;o)

Upvote 0