Is playing Electric guitar in the blues/rock genre a sin?

Newway

Sep 6, 2023
Anchorage
✟10,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems there has always been a stigma that rock music is the music of the devil. While I see some bands, especially heavy metal bands choose to use demonic lyrics and symbols, many do not. I particularly enjoy playing blues solos and pieces from the band Pink Floyd. Is this a sin ?

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I particularly enjoy playing blues solos and pieces from the band Pink Floyd. Is this a sin ?
It all depends on how well or poorly you are playing it, :sunglasses:^_^

Upvote 0

Newway

Sep 6, 2023
Anchorage
✟10,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It all depends on how well or poorly you are playing it, :sunglasses:^_^
Lol. In all seriousness though I sometimes wonder if the frequencies or chords used in some of those songs are displeasing to God or somehow attracting negative entities. Christian music typically uses major chords, while rock:blues uses a lot of minor chords and pentatonic scales.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol. In all seriousness though I sometimes wonder if the frequencies or chords used in some of those songs are displeasing to God or somehow attracting negative entities. Christian music typically uses major chords, while rock:blues uses a lot of minor chords and pentatonic scales.
If it is still available online somewhere (it was years ago),
see the conflict David Wilkerson had concerning this issue until
God Granted God's Wisdom , revelation / understanding to him from God's Word.
If I can find a lead to it, a website or a link, God Willing, I will do so.

I read backwards through a few posts, and this one is a good summary >>
Garbage in, garbage out. If you are trying to be physically strong and healthy, you don't eat junk food but healthy. Same principle applies in the spirit. Worldly music isn't healthy for your spirit

One of some links just found simply searching David Wilkerson rock music
the other links may be better, but I just picked one:
tscpulpitseries.org › english › undated › tscryrep.html

"There Is A Cry Of Repentence In The Land!" by David Wilkerson, pastor ...

The chapter on "Music of Devils" has sent shock waves through the contemporary Christian music field. A so-called Christian punk rock band leader visited me recently; he was angry and defiant. The same day, the leader of another hard rock Christian group came to see me. What I heard coming from their hearts and lips horrified me.

Upvote 0

Newway

Sep 6, 2023
Anchorage
✟10,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If it is still available online somewhere (it was years ago),
see the conflict David Wilkerson had concerning this issue until
God Granted God's Wisdom , revelation / understanding to him from God's Word.
If I can find a lead to it, a website or a link, God Willing, I will do so.

I read backwards through a few posts, and this one is a good summary >>

One of some links just found simply searching David Wilkerson rock music
the other links may be better, but I just picked one:
tscpulpitseries.org › english › undated › tscryrep.html

"There Is A Cry Of Repentence In The Land!" by David Wilkerson, pastor ...

The chapter on "Music of Devils" has sent shock waves through the contemporary Christian music field. A so-called Christian punk rock band leader visited me recently; he was angry and defiant. The same day, the leader of another hard rock Christian group came to see me. What I heard coming from their hearts and lips horrified me.
I wonder if I should quit playing the Rock/blues type of music? I’m not trying to make money, it’s a hobby, but seriously worried it will attract negative entities into my life. I’m also worried as to why I’ve always been attracted to that type of music ?

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wonder if I should quit playing the Rock/blues type of music? I’m not trying to make money, it’s a hobby, but seriously worried it will attract negative entities into my life. I’m also worried as to why I’ve always been attracted to that type of music ?
It is a very common, very carnal, very worldly, very fleshly pursuit and desire - and it satisfies earthly carnal cravings, and harms multitudes. (but they don't care, they love it and have no spiritual sense of truth or of right)

Upvote 0

Newway

Sep 6, 2023
Anchorage
✟10,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is a very common, very carnal, very worldly, very fleshly pursuit and desire - and it satisfies earthly carnal cravings, and harms multitudes. (but they don't care, they love it and have no spiritual sense of truth or of right)
When you say “they,” you mean musicians? If I just play for fun and don’t play any music from bands that outright worship Satan, is it ok? I play mostly bluesy love or groovy rock. Have you heard of Gary Moore, Still got the Blues? It’s my fav song to play on Guitar. Seems to be nothing Satanic about it, it’s a love song, but the guitar solo is very “shreddy.” I’m lost on if I should give up this hobby or focus only on traditional Christian music ?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems there has always been a stigma that rock music is the music of the devil. While I see some bands, especially heavy metal bands choose to use demonic lyrics and symbols, many do not. I particularly enjoy playing blues solos and pieces from the band Pink Floyd. Is this a sin ?
In this case to paraphrase Paul, it's a sin if you regard it as such and/or if it causes your bothers and sisters in the Lord to stumble.

And FWIW Alice Cooper and Bono are Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you say “they,” you mean musicians?
No. They likely receive a greater judgment , God's Decision ....

Another good read is "The Mind Behind The System" by Watchman Nee (it might be a chapter in the short book "Love Not The World".)

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Former guitarist here and a Greek Orthodox chanter of 20 years. Lordy, playing the blues or blues inspired music is NOT satanic. The music itself has no spiritual bearing. Words yes. If you think you have to have to play "traditional" Christian music, then whose tradition is acceptable? As a chanter, I sing a capella, that is, 'in the style of the chapel'. And since our tonal system cannot be replicated on musical instruments, it is forced to be a capella. But put a pandora out there and Ill be awkwardly dancing with the Greeks.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Newway

Sep 6, 2023
Anchorage
✟10,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Former guitarist here and a Greek Orthodox chanter of 20 years. Lordy, playing the blues or blues inspired music is NOT satanic. The music itself has no spiritual bearing. Words yes. If you think you have to have to play "traditional" Christian music, then whose tradition is acceptable? As a chanter, I sing a capella, that is, 'in the style of the chapel'. And since our tonal system cannot be replicated on musical instruments, it is forced to be a capella. But put a pandora out there and Ill be awkwardly dancing with the Greeks.
It’s easy to go down rabbit holes with what’s on the internet regarding rock/blues music and Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this case to paraphrase Paul, it's a sin if you regard it as such and/or if it causes your bothers and sisters in the Lord to stumble.

And FWIW Alice Cooper and Bono are Christians.
Are they? What fruit do they bear to show they are Christians?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are they? What fruit do they bear to show they are Christians?
Beats me, I don't know much about them. I could say they claim to be a Christian, but would you want me to say that you claim to be a Christian?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beats me, I don't know much about them. I could say they claim to be a Christian, but would you want me to say that you claim to be a Christian?
You said they are Christians, and tried to use them as examples of why secular music is ok. I'm just asking for evidence that makes that statement true. Public figures like those two should have no issues finding some proof that they are in fact believers. Private/less known people like myself I can make all sorts of claims about my salvation that unless you know me wouldn't be verifiable. Jesus said you'd know them by their fruit, no? So what fruit do they bear that proves they are Christian and thus examples of why secular music isn't bad?

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Alice Cooper interview about his faith -

Bono interview https://www.npr.org/2022/10/27/1131678023/bono-memoir-book-surrender-faith-u2

Heck, Sunday Bloody Sunday ends with the following verse regarding the 1972 Bloody Sunday incident in Derry Ireland.

And it's true we are immune
When fact is fiction and TV reality
And today the millions cry (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
We eat and drink while tomorrow they die (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

The real battle just begun (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
To claim the victory Jesus won (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
On Sunday, Bloody Sunday, yeah
Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not. Sin is not the actions we take or the behavior we exhibit. Those things are the fruit of what we are. Many a "Christian" who points the bony finger of indignation at what kind of music they know God approves of will find the blues guitarist in front of them at the gates of the kingdom.

Sin does not come into us from the outside, it is generated in us by our fallen hearts. The worst sinners in the church will often be the ones who wear their piety on their sleeves and claim to know what God approves of or disapproves of. They are the disciples standing in the way of Jesus declaring that the children are not welcome to come to him.

So spare your heart and enjoy your music.

Upvote 0