Is patriotism sinful?

Which is more important: being proud of your country, or being proud of your religion?

• Being proud of my country is more important

• Being proud of my Christian religion is more important

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pooja Sadhu

Jul 20, 2019
Delhi
✟1,898.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 3:28 says that nationalities, ethnic groups, and genders aren’t important to God; that we’re all one big global Christian family. Based on the said scripture, I think it’s sinful to be patriotic. To be a patriotic suggests that you ought to be proud of the nation you belong to. But the Bible is clear that we shouldn’t think in terms of nationality, race, or gender, so why be proud of your nation when instead we ought to be proud of being Christian? Whether we’re Indian, American, British, French, Nigerian, South African, Brazilian, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever—we all belong to the Kingdom of Heaven (among those of us who are saved). That should be our true source of pride, not our country.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 3:28 says that nationalities, ethnic groups, and genders aren’t important to God; that we’re all one big global Christian family.
Boy, that's one scripture people love quoting context-free to advance whatever strange brew policy or ideology they find attractive.

Frankly, though with charity, I don't find that line of reasoning persuasive.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't quote anything out of context. The scripture is clear with what it means.
Your interpretation of that scripture conflicts with other scriptures. Other sections of the NT relate to how men are to conduct themselves, ditto women, the status of Israel following their rejection of Our Lord, etc. If, for example, there is no difference between men and women, why do other sections of the NT describe differences between men and women?

Galatians 3 is part of a discussion on how God The Father views mankind following Our Lord's redemptive work. However, acting as though the real and distinct differences that exist between people, languages, customs and cultures are and should be irrelevant in our day-to-day lives is (A) missing the entire point of Galatians 3 and (B) a fool's errand.

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 3:28 says that nationalities, ethnic groups, and genders aren’t important to God; that we’re all one big global Christian family. Based on the said scripture, I think it’s sinful to be patriotic. To be a patriotic suggests that you ought to be proud of the nation you belong to. But the Bible is clear that we shouldn’t think in terms of nationality, race, or gender, so why be proud of your nation when instead we ought to be proud of being Christian? Whether we’re Indian, American, British, French, Nigerian, South African, Brazilian, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever—we all belong to the Kingdom of Heaven (among those of us who are saved). That should be our true source of pride, not our country.
If the term patriotism means a love of country, and by that I means it's people, then I'd say it's in keeping with the commandment to Love others as yourself. When the term patriotism means we're better than others and it's vanity, then it will lead to iniquity and sin. I'm not really a big fan of the term as a source of pride. It's good to be thankful to God for upholding the country where I live, but it's not like love for others stops at the border.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟458,267.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m born in India but God grafted me into Israel by making me born again. I only consider my eternal nationality to be my real country. I’m now a family of Israel and I’m patriotic towards Israel, it is where my Jesus was born, I belong to Him and He is my identity. God says I’m a descendant of Abraham through faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1. When it comes to us being all children of God, you have a point. But patriots recognize this also. Patriotism is not about that.

2. There is quite a difference between patriotism or nationalism and concepts/beliefs about race or ethnic superiority. The latter would be wrong, but not patriotism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 3:28 says that nationalities, ethnic groups, and genders aren’t important to God; that we’re all one big global Christian family.

But here is Paul, expressing pride in his native city of Tarsus: Paul answered, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city. Please let me speak to the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 21:39)

Celebrating the accomplishments of your family, city, or country is a good thing, although all those things can become idols if we value them too much.

And... greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13). That includes laying down your life for your family, city, or country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Based on the said scripture, I think it’s sinful to be patriotic. To be a patriotic suggests that you ought to be proud of the nation you belong to. ...

For some reason pride seems to be bad thing in all cases. Pride or being proud means: “a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.”

Nationality is not own achievement, so I don’t think there is reason to be proud. Also, it may be that being a Christian is not own achievement. But even if they would be own achievements, it seems to be vanity and arrogance usually to be proud. I think that is not good, because:

I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to walk worthily of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and humility, with patience, bearing with one another in love;
Eph. 4:1-2

doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself;
Fil. 2:3

"God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
1 Pet. 5:5

…Whoever therefore humbles himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven…
Matt. 18:4

So, I think it would be best to be humble and not proud. However, I think it is ok to have self-respect or self-esteem. For example, there are many good things in America that should be appreciated. Like for example the constitution and the ten amendments. Perhaps the second-best constitution ever (if Love God and neighbor is counted). And generally life of all human beings have value, even though modern time is very close to the world of For a Few Dollars More, “where life has no value death sometimes has its price”.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For some reason pride seems to be bad thing in all cases. Pride or being proud means: “a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.”

Nationality is not own achievement, so I don’t think there is reason to be proud.
But your own definition says that pride may be an extension of qualities that are widely admired or are achievements of people with whom one is closely associated. So it doesn't always mean swagger coming from ones own achievements.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,482,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first chapter of 1 Peter opens with:

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia....

Now, most people did not move around much in ancient times. Generally, people were born, lived, and died all within a few miles radius. To be frank, that's still true of most people in the world.

The people Peter is writing to are actually still living in their own regions. He's talking to Pontians, Galatians, Cappadocians, Asians (meaning the area now known as Turkey), and Bythynians who are still living in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia.

So why is he calling people who are living in their own home towns "scattered exiles?"

Over the next two chapters, Peter is going to explain what he means by calling them "scattered exiles." The koine Greek for "scattered" used here is diaspora, which also means "dispersed" and has the military meaning of "deliberately distributed for maximum mission effectiveness."

As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him—you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

For in Scripture it says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame.”

Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone.”

Peter goes carefully into identifying Jesus as the "living stone" which is the same thing as "uncut stone" (a stone that has not been touched by a chisel is still living). When Peter says that Jesus is the living stone that was rejected by the builders, yet is the "cornerstone" of a spiritual house, it's important to understand the deliberate irony of his statement.

The cornerstone of the building (until recent technology) was the stone that set the alignment of the other walls. The justification of the entire building depended on the cornerstone being perfectly cut.

This is why an uncut stone would be rejected by human builders as a cornerstone: It would not fit their plans. A house built from an uncut cornerstone would not result in the house they intended.

Yet, this uncut stone is the cornerstone of a spiritual house in which all the stones are uncut stones. A house build from an uncut cornerstone completely of uncut stones is not acceptable to any human builders.

The implication here is that just as Jesus does not fit into a structure built by man, neither can any of the stones that are designated for His house. All of the stones of Jesus' house are rejected by human builders.

“A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”

Any "Jesus" that fits into a worldly structure is thus not the real Jesus. Any person who fits into a worldly structure is not one of Jesus' own living stones either.

This is why the born-again Christians in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia are scattered exiles in the regions they were first born. They no longer fit into those societies.

But they are not homeless or stateless.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

If you were on a sports team in school you should recognize this. This is the coach's "team speech."

Even though we no longer fit comfortably into any world structure, we are no longer the citizens of any worldly nation, we are not homeless. We are citizens of Christ's nation, the Kingdom of Heaven.

But our citizenship is in heaven. -- Philippians 3

I'm not going to get into a word squabble over what "patriotism" means. But I will say this:

A citizen of Heaven understands that heaven is his home. Wherever else he may be is merely a deployment of limited duration.

A citizen of Heaven recognizes that other Christians, wherever else they may be deployed, are his true fellow countrymen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I pretty much agree. I mean Jesus did say my kingdom is not of this world. John 18:36 On one hand I’ve been born into a very blessed time and place but my government, as they all tend to do, has perpetrated many atrocities in its very short history.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Irregardless of what anyone says I am proud to be an American and I am not sorry and I will happily display my patriotism.

200.gif

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
But here is Paul, expressing pride in his native city of Tarsus: Paul answered, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city. Please let me speak to the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 21:39)

Celebrating the accomplishments of your family, city, or country is a good thing, although all those things can become idols if we value them too much.

And... greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13). That includes laying down your life for your family, city, or country.

I have always read that as not patriotism, but Paul using that to further evangelize the gospel. As he also mentioned he was a Roman citizen when being beaten to stop that. And also appealing to Caesar since Paul was natural born, Paul had that citizenship right. Paul said he would use all means to reach as many people with the gospel as possible. Paul knew saying those things would frighten his persecutors and spread the gospel further into the power seat at Rome itself where the rulers ruled the empire.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,482,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always read that as not patriotism, but Paul using that to further evangelize the gospel. As he also mentioned he was a Roman citizen when being beaten to stop that. And also appealing to Caesar since Paul was natural born, Paul had that citizenship right. Paul said he would use all means to reach as many people with the gospel as possible. Paul knew saying those things would frighten his persecutors and spread the gospel further into the power seat at Rome itself where the rulers ruled the empire.

Let's put that another way. An American arrested in, say, Morocco for evangelizing would still likely pull the "American citizen" card to remain free and continue to evangelize elsewhere.

Christians in America should use America for God's purposes the way Joseph used Egypt. But Joseph never forgot where his real home was.

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I also do not believe patriotism is sinful . God has set up the nations and their boundaries in every age.
I am patriotic and approve of the founding of the USA. Now if I was suffering in North Korea for my faith, I would definitely not be patriotic minded. I am glad God placed me here.

Acts 17
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; 23 for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:

TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. 26 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

Upvote 0