✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by tericl2
How does accepting a gift show any sovereignty on man's part?

Just so I'm clear, what do we do to go about "accepting" God's gift of salvation?  Is it something we say, or is it by being baptized?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Reformationist

Just so I'm clear, what do we do to go about "accepting" God's gift of salvation?  Is it something we say, or is it by being baptized?

Thanks.

You know Ref, the thing that I find funny about this " "accepting" God's gift of salvation" as the factor that makes us saved, is that it has the potential to be likened to the petitions made by ancient civilizations to pagan gods and natural magical forces through sorcery, witchcraft, etc. Basically, one says it, performs a ritual, etc., then it happens.

Need a "deus ex machina" or the forces of nature to come usher you out of a life and death situation, save your crops, or smite your hated enemies? Pray to your patron god, mix a potion, summon magical forces. They won't help you unless you perform the incantation. The god of love, war, fertility, etc. is more than willing to help you if you call on them and agree to serve under their agenda first. It's a conditional contract, one that is initiated by compensation, sacrifice, loyalty, etc. on the part of the supplicant, and can be terminated at any point by the deity/force if their fluctuating pleasure is not completely satiated or they become dissatisfied for any reason.

As far as I know, my God is not a candy machine; my quarter, upon deposit, doesn't shoot out gumdrops. Nor is He a wanton deity that gains adherents through bargains, and takes back His salvation upon His dissatisfaction. My God is not fickle; He is Sovereign.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by tericl2
Well, shucky darn!! I had a seriously long reply all typed out and when i clicked the submit button I got a proxy error. Now I can't get back to it!! I don't have time to do it all again right now, but I will try again later.

Yeah, those are definitely no fun.  Looking forward to reading your reply. :)

God bless.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The god of love, war, fertility, etc. is more than willing to help you if you call on them and agree to serve under their agenda first. It's a conditional contract,

Hmmm. I wonder what "seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you" qualifies as.

likewise
"and the soul that shrinks back I take no pleasure in"
"he who loves father or mother ahead of me is not fit for the kingdom of heaven"
"he that commits (list of various) sins is an idolator and shall inherit nothing of heaven."

My God is not fickle; He is Sovereign.

Last time I looked - turning away from one's sovereign to serve another was termed treason . I think that much the same thing is declared about turning from God to serve one's own appetites.

Upvote 0

prodigal

Apr 27, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
✟653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If we are born spiritually dead, can we make a spiritual decision? Can a dead person hear? Yet the word says "a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." John 5:25

"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard though the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by prodigal
"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard though the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

Not trying to be picky prodigal, but that isn't what the verse says. It says, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." I would have just figured you were putting a scriptural reference but you put it in quotes, so I thought you were quoting. Before there's a backlash, yes, Christ is God. But, I have noticed that it tends to detract from a person's post if they quote scripture and change the words.

God bless brother! :)

Upvote 0

prodigal

Apr 27, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
✟653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some people are just sooo picky. No prob, reformed. I try to always give addresses when I make a scriptural reference. I still use the NIV (please forgive me) for ease of reading and enjoy its perspective.

A man is only as good as his word. Christ is the "word of God".

"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." John 1:1 KJV

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by prodigal
Some people are just sooo picky. No prob, reformed. I try to always give addresses when I make a scriptural reference. I still use the NIV (please forgive me) for ease of reading and enjoy its perspective.

Yeah. You know, after I posted I thought that in the case of that scripture it's probably a moot point because the Word of God is the Word of Jesus. Mainly I just pointed it out because so many on this board take a little thing like that and use it as basis for discounting your entire post.

You might try the NKJV. It is easier to read than KJV but it still retains a lot of the original nuances. :)

God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.