Is MJ a sin if it’s for medical purposes?

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, this is just a question. Here in Oklahoma they legalized medical marijuana.

Now mind you it opens the door for recreational, I can’t find a doc willing to prescribe benzos anymore. I can’t snoke weed either because it makes me have panic attacks.

I’m just wondering if the law passed it to where it was legal for medical uses is that a sin?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟780,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

Just a reminder of the rules, so for people replying, please keep them in mind.

"Marijuana use may be discussed, but encouraging participation in these activities is not allowed. Illegal activities may not be encouraged or promoted*.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was just wondering....I don't want to fish for any info....I've been struggling with things all my adult life....I don't ever want to go smoke weed just to help my pain. There has to be another way....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’m just wondering if the law passed it to where it was legal for medical uses is that a sin?
I would not think so, but I have read experts say that it is 1) a last resort, 2) no more effective for most people than common household pain-killers, and 3) a lot more expensive than they are.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just wondering....I don't want to fish for any info....I've been struggling with things all my adult life....I don't ever want to go smoke weed just to help my pain. There has to be another way....
It's the INTENT that would be the sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are prescription drugs that have a much more psycoactive effect than cannabis. If taking cannibis medicinally is a sin, then so would taking those other drugs be as well.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have psychosis, I have to be on a Anti Psychotic. If I’m not I get delusional. In October I flushed all my meds down the toilet, from there I was slowing slipping into a psychosis.

I thought I was at the first resurrection.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have psychosis, I have to be on a Anti Psychotic. If I’m not I get delusional. In October I flushed all my meds down the toilet, from there I was slowing slipping into a psychosis.

I thought I was at the first resurrection.
You better take your meds!
They're necessary....
And thank God they're available.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dabro, I've noticed from some of your posts that you tend to focus on worrying about whether certain behaviors are pleasing to God, or are sins.

I just wanted to reach out to you with this portion of a verse:
"I will have mercy, and not sacrifice"

If you focus your studies more on who Christ was, what he was like and the underlying theme of enormous love he has for his people for the time being, it will help answer some of your questions about this or that sin. The bottom line is that Christ has paid for ALL of our sins. It isn't necessary for us to be tormented by them anymore.

Here is a critical passage explaining this:

Galatians 3:24-26
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

For now, it's my sense that the Lord would love for you to grow closer to him as your friend, and stop such worries over this or that behavior. (Now don't take that as a license to do things you know are wrong, but just for now, while you are learning more about Christ's loving side, stop worrying about sin so much.) Learn about his everlasting arms that are open for you, about him as your best friend. He became the friend of publicans and sinners....that's you and it's me!!

He desires that we focus on Him and his grace and love for us. As long as we are beating ourselves up for this sin or that sin, our focus is on self and not on our Lord.

Perhaps you could try for the next several weeks to pivot your thoughts to the Lord's mercy and grace whenever your tendency to focus on your self/sins arises. Just purposefully rest in the Lord. One thing you could do is when thoughts tormenting you about this or that sin come up, tap your heart and keep repeating "I will have mercy, and not sacrifice" until those thoughts go away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you mean physical or mental pain?

In my past long lived experience with pain and MJ, it does nothing for physical pain.

However if your meds aren't working as you mentioned on another thread, and the DR's won't prescribe what does, and mind you, this is only what I would do if I were in your shoes with no other viable opions, and I'm not recommending it to any one...I would then try it, just a little, and see if it helps. You mentioned it causes you anxiety, the reason I say just a little, and if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, then I'd go for it, if they didn't, I'd get away from it completely.

Whether or not it's a sin is up to you. If it's sin to you, it's sin, so if we even think we might be smoking it for fun or have just convinced ourselves otherwise so we can justify recreation use, then we might want to rethink it.

I'd guess, as far as problems of the mind goes, it would most likely be a bad idea, but I'm not a doctor, but some of these doctors are passing it out like candy just to make a statement, something they have no business doing....or so I hear.

Upvote 0

dabro

Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I mean my mental but I think it’s a very bad idea, like I’ve said im not untested in doing it, I find more relief from Kratom.

It’s legal here in Oklahoma and in Virginia it’s totally legal.

Upvote 0

TechyinAZ

Sep 2, 2018
Flagstaff
✟17,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I personally believe it is not. My mom resells CBD oil and I use it almost every day.

I believe we need to understand why God says drugs are bad in the first place, drugs that make you high is not what our bodies are designed for, while it feels good at first, it is damaging in the end.

While something like CBD oil does not get you high, rather it is like a vitamin to our entire body, it assists almost everything in the body (from the mind to the immune system) and boosts it and makes it healthier.

Similar to how the bible always says don't get drunk, but it is ok to drink alcohol. The bible even says drinking a little bit of wine is good for the body. 1 Timothy 5:23

(FYI I highly recommend you look into CBD oil for your exact issues, it is an amazing oil. There are even variants without THC at all.)

The oil I take has some THC but it is only there for its good properties, the amount is so small that it is impossible to get high.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
MOD HAT ON

Just a reminder of the rules, so for people replying, please keep them in mind.

"Marijuana use may be discussed, but encouraging participation in these activities is not allowed. Illegal activities may not be encouraged or promoted*.

MOD HAT OFF

I'm in Canada. It's legal, both medicinal and recreational ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean my mental but I think it’s a very bad idea,

I think so to.

It’s legal here in Oklahoma and in Virginia it’s totally legal.

Wow, I had no idea. Won't be long now till we have a country full of Pot heads, or even a world.

Upvote 0