strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not even sure why I'm asking this. I promised myself a long time ago that I would due to the fact that I'll have to study and since I'm looking for a job, I would get rid of ME 1 and 2 which I did 5 or so months ago. I have been giving much more of my time to prayer, online sermons, church and reading the Bible. Now that I'd like to play Mass Effect again I just can't bring myself to play it with a clear consciousness. I would like to think that it's the Holy Spirit convicting me but as soon as I start thinking that, a thought occurs that it's just a deep carved idea that I pushed in my mind for months even tho I know it's not really that... The background of it is that when I got saved my wish for games diminished and I wanted to know more about Jesus. The more I found out the more I started pushing games out of my life. Now I just want one game to play but... it's Mass Effect. It has some stuff in it that can be considered an arch blasphemy but it's a game. Help me out please. And if you think it is unbiblical, feel free to mock the game as much as you want. I need a sobering, Biblical opinion. :)

God bless everyone!

EDIT: Nvm, I don't even want to know about mass effect. This has to be the weirdest struggle anyone ever had. I'm want to push games out of my life eventually anyway. I hope God helps me.
Blessings!

Last edited:

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I said a prayer for your Strelok. Perhaps it is God's way of telling you that you need to do something different with your time or as a hobby-

I don't know. I've been Playing ME2 for the past week or so...

Thanks a lot.
God bless you. :)

Upvote 0

Kolwynia

Jul 26, 2011
✟7,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really like the Mass Effect series.

The games are about as Biblical as Star Trek. The story and universe of the games have a lot to do with the theory of Evolution (not unlike a great deal of science fiction in books and movies out there today), so if that is something you don't want to expose your spirit to, then you might want to avoid the game.

There is an optional romantic plot that, if followed by the player, culminates in a brief sex scene between two characters. The game can be completed without doing this, but if you want it, it's there. I'll be honest; the romance is not very well fleshed out and I don't personally think this adds to the game experience or rewards the player at all. This is a very take-it-or-leave-it aspect of the games.

There is a lot of action violence in the games. If you get spiritually troubled by this, then you might want to avoid the games.

The games feature a world with alien races, each with their own religions that have evolved on their planets. You can go through the entire game unaware of this, but if you look up the info in the Codex, you can find out all sorts of interesting things about, say, Asari religion. The religious views of the races are more of a footnote to a well-built game universe, but it's there if it interests you. Or if it bothers you.

Because so much of the game's content depends on how you, as a player, choose to go through the game, the whole experience is relative. You could, for instance, imagine your character, Shepard, as a Christian, and ask yourself "What would Jesus do?" during the various game moments when you have to make choices. You can skip all the sex and act very noble. The game will still be violent, and the story will still have to do with Evolution.

Personally, as a Christian, I have no problem playing the Mass Effect games. (Just finished number 2, in fact!) But I also have no problem watching movies, reading books, and playing video games that I do not personally agree with. My own advice is this: don't do anything that you think you shouldn't. The Bible is pretty clear about telling us not to mess with someone else's faith, just because we feel that God has given us the liberty to do something. So, if you think Mass Effect is sinful to play, don't do it. However, if you are just curious about whether or not it's okay, then I would say it's fine. It's secular, and it has a lot of ideas that you won't agree with as a Christian, but so do Star Trek and Star Wars. Play discerningly. Know what you believe and what you refuse to agree with. There have been times in my life where I've stepped away from video games and movies because I was feeling closer to God doing that. And there have been times when I've kicked back on the couch with the Lord and we played some Kingdom Hearts together. So, if you can do it while sticking close to God, I really recommend Mass Effect.

(And, if you get to the end of number 2, be careful; your choices during that last mission matter.)

Upvote 0