Is Mary Vital to Soteriology and our Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmRoddy

Pre-Med Student
Apr 26, 2009
✟16,658.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As most people know, Orthodox Roman Catholicism believes that Mary is a "pillar of salvation" along with Jesus Christ. Most Catholics would deny this but this is one of the official teachings of the church and is believed by many Roman Catholics. In fact, many Bishops and Popes have made statements affirming this teaching.

Alphonsus de'Liguori (a doctor of the church) in The Glories of Mary wrote,
That every one may be persuaded how important it is, both for his own good and that of others, to promote devotion towards Mary, it is useful to know what Theologians say on the subject. St. Bonaventure says, ‘that those who make a point of announcing to others the glories of Mary, are certain of heaven;’ and this opinion is confirmed by Richard of St. Lawrence, who declares, ‘that to honor this Queen of Angels is to gain eternal life…’

‘Rejoice then,’ exclaims St. Bonaventure, (who did so much to make the glories of Mary known) ‘rejoice, my soul, and be glad in her; for many good things are prepared for those who praise her; ‘and he says that ‘the whole of the Sacred Scriptures speak in praise of Mary,’ let us therefore always with our hearts and tongues honor this Divine Mother, in order that we may be conducted by her into the kingdom of the blessed…

Oh, blessed are they who bind themselves with love and confidence to these two anchors of salvation, Jesus and Mary!

Source: Rationale - The Glories of Mary - by Saint Alphonsus Liguori
I’m sure that many Bible believing Christians would be disgusted with this amount of idolatry and blaspheme. But this is nonetheless the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church. Here are a few more quick quotes to prove my point.
The evidence lies, not in any insulated passage of a devotional writer (which was alleged in plea for the language of M. Olier), but in formal answers from Archbishops and Bishops to the Pope as to what they desired in regard to the declaration of the Immaculate Conception as an Article of Faith. Thus the Archbishop of Syracuse wrote, 'Since we know certainly that she, in the fulness of time, was Co-redemptress of the human race, together with her Son Jesus Christ our Lord.' From North Italy the Bishop of Asti wrote of 'the dogma of the singular privilege granted by the Divine Redeemer to His pure mother, the Co-redemptress of the world.' In South Italy the Bishop of Gallipoli wrote, 'the human race, whom the Son of God, from her, redeemed; whom, together with Him, she herself co-redeemed.' The Bishop of Cariati prayed the Pope to 'command all the sons of Holy Mother Church and thy own, that no one of them should dare at any time hereafter to suspect as to the Immaculate Conception of their Co-redeemer.' From Sardinia, the Bishop of Alghero wrote, 'It is the common consent of all the faithful, and the common wish and desire of all, that our so beneficent Parent and Co-redeemer should be presented by the Apostolic See with the honour of this most illustrious mystery.' Spain, the Bishop of Almeria justified the attribute by appeal to the service of the Conception. The Church, adapting to the Mother of God in the Office of the Conception that text, 'Let Us make a help like unto Him,' assures us of it. and confirms those most ancient traditions, 'Companion of the Redeemer,' 'Co-Redemptress,' 'Authoress of everlasting salvation.' The Bishops refer to. these as ancient, well-known, traditionary titles, at least in their Churches in North and South Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, Spain."

Source: Dr. Pusey on the Worship of Mary in the Church of Rome
So now the question must be asked: Does the Bible teach that Mary is a savior along with Jesus Christ? Let’s see what it says.
1 Tim. 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
We don’t think it can get clearer then this. There is ONE mediator between God and man; that is Jesus Christ. Prayers to Mary go up unanswered because she is not hearing a single one of those idolatrous prayers.
John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
Jesus Christ is the only way that anyone can get to the Father. Mary does absolutely positively nothing in saving people. A mere human will not intercede at the thrown of the Father to save people. It is Christ's intercession that saves souls. Heb. 7:25 says, "Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." Since Jesus is the one mediator between God and man, and since Jesus is God, the idea of Mary praying for the salvation of anyone is impossible.
John 14:12-14
12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
13 "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
As we demonstrated with Scripture above, we have one mediator in Salvation; that is Jesus Christ. The same is true in supplication. We have one to which we pray, and that is to God in the name of Jesus, not in the name of Mary (c.f. John 15:16; 16:23-26).

The book of Hebrews is full of passages telling us that Christ is the one saving His people. He is the High Priest (Heb. 3:1; 4:14; 6:20), not Mary. He is the one who intercedes (Heb. 7:5), not Mary. He is the only one who can save (Heb. 7:27), not Mary. He is sinless and pure (Heb. 7:26), not Mary (Luke 1:46-47). Jesus is the High Priest with the ability to enter the Holy of Holies to make intercession (Heb. 9:7), not Mary. I could go on and on in the book of Hebrews. There is simply no way to get around this fact; Mary is not a savior along with Christ.

To any Roman Catholic reading this post, beware of what you practice. Your prayers to Mary go up unanswered and in vain. She will not save you and asking for her salvation is tantamount to calling Christ’s work as High Priest useless and a failure. He does not need a plan B. He is able to save to the uttermost those whom He intercedes for (Heb. 7:27).

Status
Not open for further replies.