Feb 11, 2009
✟793.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i have found that smoking marijuana has helped me with my anxiety problems, but being told that it is a sin has made me have these bad highs about it being a sin and that it makes the devil closer to you, but in the bible somewhere it says that God has given us a herb in which we can use? i see no harm in smoking marijuana, it makes me happy, but now i can't smoke and be happy, the thought of it being a sin makes me have a depressed high, can someone clear this up is it a sin is it not? why would it be grown if it is a sin? but i know your suppose to stay at a sober state of mind, but then why did God allow the use of wine during Christ' time? i have been told it is a sin and it is not a sin, why would it be a sin if its grown on earth which God created everything on earth.

The only sin is marijuana is still illegal in most states. I realize there are those who want to paint every thing a sin, specially drinking and drugs. They are quick to judge, slow to reason.

Marijuana taken moderately, like social drinking is fine. It's not good to over do any substance, including wine. being totally wasted on pot or drunk on alcohol will actually rob you of full fellowship with the Lord. But taken moderately is fine.

In short, don't worry what self proclaimed saints have to say about it, pray and see what God tells you.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fact that two cchristians cant have an open conversation on ones interpretation and anothers with out hostility is frustrating.
Are you sure your not imagining the hostility?

I suggest you go back and read the posts that were addressed to me pay attention to tones and words uses while I do admit my sarcasm can be rude I do enjoy conversations that mix the bible and current politics. What i dont enjoy is people insulting my walk with Christ because they disagree with me.
how can you tell? You are missing the majority of communication as you do not have access to the non-verbal communication which makes up around either 90 or 95% of what is communicated.

In regards to your response yeah look I can read a history book and see that PARTS of the church were involved in prohibition. However you are making the assumption that because some denominations were then all denominations must be. That is a wrong assumption. There is a particular denomination that really loves their wine. many of them own vineyards and have for generations. So if they were so much against prohibition then why would they be making wine? Doesn't make sense does it?

You still have not provided any proof that christians were the ones pushing for the crusades. All you have done is said that some people within the church called for the crusades. It isn't hard to find people in the church in powerful positions today that say that Jesus was never ressurected from the dead. So clearly simply being in the church and in a position of authority does not mean one is a christian. Any reading of history will show that it was culturally acceptable to belong to the church. Many people did even though they did not believe. Ever heard of a guy called Karl Marx? What did he say was a big influence on his views? It was his dad being a very devout Jew and then moving to an area where most people including businessmen were christian so he became christian. It is nothing new for people to claim they are christian when they are not. History clearly shows this. You keep telling me to read history. Well I may not be an expert but this kind of thing is so obvious that you should be well aware of it if you have studied some of the things you are telling me to research.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you sure your not imagining the hostility?

Well that is how I felt I felt as though my views were attacked. And if I personally felt that way then the way I was addressed was not and is not correct.

how can you tell? You are missing the majority of communication as you do not have access to the non-verbal communication which makes up around either 90 or 95% of what is communicated.

How can you tell that 90% or 95% are against use of marijuana. Do you have that census available?

In regards to your response yeah look I can read a history book and see that PARTS of the church were involved in prohibition. However you are making the assumption that because some denominations were then all denominations must be.
No what I am assuming is that is the majority of Christians in that era supported the belief that liquor should be prohibited. The out cry for this to be prohibited by the church, as a majority not a minority because their were christians that feel as I do towards weed, was a great factor that lead to liquor being illegal. Do you deny this?

That is a wrong assumption. There is a particular denomination that really loves their wine. many of them own vineyards and have for generations. So if they were so much against prohibition then why would they be making wine? Doesn't make sense does it?
Similar there are christians in todays society that believe that enjoy marijuana despite the fact that a great number of christians feel that it is a sin. I dont really get your point. You said 90-95 I was speaking on a majority vs. minority.

You still have not provided any proof that christians were the ones pushing for the crusades. All you have done is said that some people within the church called for the crusades. It isn't hard to find people in the church in powerful positions today that say that Jesus was never ressurected from the dead. So clearly simply being in the church and in a position of authority does not mean one is a christian.
It depends if that place of power is supported by those in the church then yes. If you look into the history of the Crusades one of the biggest spiritual issues I saw there was the blind faith the people had in the spiritual leaders.....not Christ. Would you not agree? You are speaking of a time when people were put to death for having ideals that didn't match up with the Pope's. The Church ran the state and the people agreed with the church or died. Also added to it the ignorance of the common people as far as different religions and cultures.........I do believe that the authority did have the ablity to tell the people what to think and why to think it. Especially in a time

Any reading of history will show that it was culturally acceptable to belong to the church. Many people did even though they did not believe. Ever heard of a guy called Karl Marx? What did he say was a big influence on his views? It was his dad being a very devout Jew and then moving to an area where most people including businessmen were christian so he became christian. It is nothing new for people to claim they are christian when they are not.

If you claim to be a Christian who am I to tell you you are not. I think that is God's job not mine. I can't decide who believes in Christ I can only go off of what they say. Who am I to say that the people supporting the crusades were not Christians or were Christians.

History clearly shows this. You keep telling me to read history. Well I may not be an expert but this kind of thing is so obvious that you should be well aware of it if you have studied some of the things you are telling me to research.

Ok well how about this without scripture to support it I will not accept an individuals belief on sin. If the bible does not say this is a sin.....or give an example of someone doing something outside the will of God I am going to be skeptical of it. Then I am going to either believe it is a sin or not a sin.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All of the "if it is illegal where you live, it is a sin" gets me thinking...sin is sin, no matter where you are.Sin is not a respector of locations...
Marijuana was made illegal by MAN, not God...

It is illegal to drive to fast in my car...if I do, am I sinning?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of the "if it is illegal where you live, it is a sin" gets me thinking...sin is sin, no matter where you are.Sin is not a respector of locations...
Marijuana was made illegal by MAN, not God...

It is illegal to drive to fast in my car...if I do, am I sinning?
if sin is sin no matter what then why did Paul write that in some situations it is wrong to eat meant sacrificed to idols while in other situations it is fine? It isn't that simple.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok well how about this without scripture to support it I will not accept an individuals belief on sin. If the bible does not say this is a sin.....or give an example of someone doing something outside the will of God I am going to be skeptical of it. Then I am going to either believe it is a sin or not a sin.
You said you can't judge people to be christians or not christians. Essntially though by claiming it was christians who believed something you are saying they were definitely christians. If people claim they are christians I will not just take their word. The bible warns us of false teachers. So to just accept that they are christians seems silly to me especially when the bible gives us guidelines to be able to tell. When it comes to figures in history it is a bit different because I don't have the same information available so I will not assume they aren't christians but I certainly will not assume they are christians either.

http://www.superbodylanguage.com/?p=9 said:
Experts in the field of communication often quote the 55/38/7 “rule” that states, “research has shown that people derive only about 7% of the meaning of a communication from the words themselves which the speaker uses (verbalized emotion), about 38% is based on tone of voice, and a whopping 55% from the speaker’s body language.”
While that is not what you asked for I thought I would provide it to support my claim that 90-95% of communication is made up of things other than the actual words spoken. So on a forum we have around 7% of what a person communicates. You do seem to have gotten me confused with another person who made the statement that 95% of the church is against use of weed.

You claim that you felt your views were attacked and therefore it was wrong. Does that mean you are acknowledging that you are wrong to be addressing peoples views? If so perhaps you should leave all online forums. After all the point of most forums is disccusion about views and it is said not to attack the person. So if we are speaking against your views then we are indeed doing the right thing rather than attacking you personally.

You claim not to get my point in regards to pointing out there were christians who enjoyed alcohol and were not supportive of prohibition. Your claim was that the church was against it. if you want to revise your claim to say some of the church was against it then that would be accurate and I would not be debating the point. or perhaps you could point out what you mean by the church. Do you mean certain denominations only or a certain percentage? If you mean a certain percentage then how is that percentage defined?

Upvote 0

boor

Nov 27, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
A decade doctors are still refusing after Canada legalized the medical use of marijuana, most to sign the declarations patients need to get legal access to pot - meaning patients in pain risk being jailed if they use a drug that helps them function , Get a LIVESTONED wristband for your buds. "Down for the cause!"

Upvote 0