Is love and free will a guarantee to prevent adultery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I talked with someone that said they would be able to always prevent adultery if they loved their husband/wife. That it was a matter of free will when it comes to adultery, and therefore any temptations could be resisted as long as the person choose to resist it by using their free will.

I disagreed and said that there is always a risk of falling from temptations even if it is a marriage based on love. And it would be wise to avoid situations that might lead to adultery. For example a man should avoid spending time privately with another woman then his wife. And that even considering free will and love, there is always a risk to fall in sin if placed in a situation with temptations.

Who is right and why? Does the scripture tell anything about this?

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
D

Danya

I talked with someone that said they would be able to always prevent adultery if they loved their husband/wife. That it was a matter of free will when it comes to adultery, and therefore any temptations could be resisted as long as the person choose to resist it by using their free will.

I disagreed and said that there is always a risk of falling from temptations even if it is a marriage based on love. And it would be wise to avoid situations that might lead to adultery. For example a man should avoid spending time privately with another woman then his wife. And that even considering free will and love, there is always a risk to fall in sin if placed in a situation with temptations.

It depends not on who much love a person has for their spouse, but in what area someone is more likely in sin. It also depends on how mature one is as a Christian in terms of obedience and disciplining oneself.
Temptations can pop into our minds easily, if we get rid of them fast we can by free will avoid sin, assuming one wants to.
When the temptation is allowed to be entertained it is much harder to resist, and one may not even try to resist.

I think I found a good passage for this in James 1
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.
14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

Some people are more prone to sin in certain areas than others may be, so free will to choose not to sin can be easy in that way and in other areas very hard.
For some it may be lust and then the sin adultery occurs
For some it may be greed, and stealing may occur.
etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Free will is a gift we were granted by God. Each and every person that lives on this earth has it. Temptation also exists in our world in everything we do. Making a commitment to a marriage is as important as making a commitment to God "a promise" to honor that person next to us and love them. In my mind if we stop loving that person and cut off that relationship we also cut off our relationship with God as the vow we gave to honor and love our mate is broken. So when we commit adultery it is like we do that in the eyes of God and telling God that we do not do his will anymore. In other words denying Him.
as it says "those who God has put together let no man set apart" thus the severity of "breaking up" a marriage (either by the ones in the 'contract' of marriage or/and outside) is never right but against God's wishes and commands...My 0.2 cents on this.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

Adultry is more than just the act of sleeping with a person. Even lustful thoughts about this is adultry. This happens when the sin that dwells in our mortal body pipes up.. To spend time alone with another woman or man other than your wife or husband is not a good idea for the very fact that one is to only be intimate with their spouse in talking ,touching, feeling, thoughts. It is very wise to stay away from even the temptation of such.. For if one does not place themselves in this temptation then the battle will not occur..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What's love got to do with it?
;)

IMO, if one is not aware of the devices of the enemy, one can fall,
no matter how much he/she is in love with her husband.
OTOH, if you're aware of the schemes of the enemy, you can stand
against them even if you lack great love for your spouse.

So the desire to obey and please God (imo) is stronger than any of
those other things.

But either way, you can be tricked, yes.

imo
sunlover

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.