Is killing a spider as bad as killing a person?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you feel somewhat guilty when killing bugs, your heart is in the right place. God created the universe for our sake, and He placed His creation under our dominion. A good steward cares for that which is in his care, and this includes uprooting weeds in the garden when necessary. Personally, I'm terrorized by mosquitoes. If one preys on me outdoors, I can accept that reality—weeds naturally grow in the wilderness. But if one finds itself in the confines of my house, in my garden? Well, it's gloves-off and time for business. Or, to keep up the analogy, I put on the gardening gloves and do the dirty work. If the job was successful, I thank God, but I also ask for His forgiveness, because the death of the pest in question was a direct consequence of my great weakness.

This was something that really 'bugged' me for the longest time, but my priest answered me with the weeds-in-the-garden analogy, which helped put my heart at ease.

Your not a New Yorker until you eat a bug.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is killing a spider as bad as killing a person? It all depends on who you ask. If you ask me, there is nothing wrong with killing a spider, but there is something wrong with killing a person. However, if you ask the spider, you would likely get a different response

There is nothing with killing a person who is trying to kill you, nor in war. When I was NAM, I ordered my men to shot to injure because it takes three or more people to get them off the battlefield --- not counting those who treat them. A few years ago I ran into some men who became Americans. They recognized me, gave me a hug and thanked me for letting them live. Our unit would also treat their wounds, give them food and water, put them in the shade. We disarmed them to use their weapons. We also, left one of their radioes at least a 20 minute crawl to let us get away safely. We would leave 90 degrees, rather than the direction we were really going.

Upvote 0