Is Japan ready to accept Christ en masse?

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Japan is a very dark place, one of the worst in the world, a christian is very rare in Japanese society, I think the country is something like 99.5% non-christian. It was even worse after WW2 but the US government called for the evangelization of Japan after the war so they would not attack us again, a flood of missionaries came into the country. I really hope God will turn things around in that country!

Reactions: The Hare
Upvote 0

The Hare

Feb 11, 2024
Ampang
✟12,078.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Japan is a very dark place, one of the worst in the world, a christian is very rare in Japanese society, I think the country is something like 99.5% non-christian. It was even worse after WW2 but the US government called for the evangelization of Japan after the war so they would not attack us again, a flood of missionaries came into the country. I really hope God will turn things around in that country!
The entire world is a very dark place, and darkness is increasing by the day. The Bible reached Japan first via Jesuit Catholicism in the 16th century. This ended badly for the converts, partially due to the whispers of an English sailor named William Adams who managed to extend the Protestant-Catholic rivalry to Japan. Adams thought his efforts would pave the way for Britain to (eventually) dominate Japan. Instead, all Christian missionaries were banned till the Meiji Restoration.

Even today, the Japanese society views religion as a subversive geopolitical tool.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think ethnically, the Japanese are Shinto or Buddhist which I guess are as far as some are concerned related. Still, I can see Christianity catching on anywhere. Believing in a Savior can be very attractive to someone looking for answers.

Reactions: The Hare
Upvote 0

The Hare

Feb 11, 2024
Ampang
✟12,078.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think ethnically, the Japanese are Shinto or Buddhist which I guess are as far as some are concerned related. Still, I can see Christianity catching on anywhere. Believing in a Savior can be very attractive to someone looking for answers.
Actually, most Japanese acknowledge some sort of kami (spirit). Therefore, their religion is a syncrestic blend of animism, shintoism and to some extent, Buddhism.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesuit Catholicism in the 16th century
Interesting history in Japan.
---
Japan
- One of the least evangelized/unevangelized countries.
- 10/40 window country.
---
Wikipedia has an informative article on..
- 10/40 window

Upvote 0