Is it typical for basses to outnumber tenors in most any choir?

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And do you think any choir director would welcome a bass or baritone going back and forth between their regular part and the tenor part within the same tune (when the notes aren't too high) in order to help out the tenors, or would they rather a given singer pick one part or the other throughout? (choir directors can chime in on this).

Tenors seem to be in much higher demand than basses based on sheer numbers. Add to this the fact that many basses are large men with not only very deep but very resonant voices, and the balance will never be right, assuming an equal volume balance between all voices is an ideal goal of any choir, and I've never had anyone tell me that it's not.

I also don't know why men are always outnumbered by women, but that's true even in kid's school choirs on up through college. I don't see how any choir director would want it that way, nor turn people away due to limits based on gender. Women seem more interested in singing choral music than men. More men want to sing country, pop, and rock tunes, especially if they can play guitar and join a band to earn some extra pocket money on the weekends. Do choir talents without being an opera star EVER pay anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: LaSorcia

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I also don't know why men are always outnumbered by women, but that's true even in kid's school choirs on up through college. I don't know that any choir director wants it that way, such that anyone would ever be turned away due to limits based on gender. Women seem more interested in singing choral music than men. More men want to sing country, pop, and rock tunes, especially if they can play guitar and join a band to earn some extra pocket money on the weekends.
That hasn't been my experience. In the churches I've gone to, the ratio has been pretty easily split between the sexes.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In choirs I have been in, the tenors outnumber the basses, usually about 3:2.

Historically that was not the case, but men's voices have been rising over the last century. Prior to 1900, the only dependable source of men being able to sing women's parts (alto, soprano) was either to use small children (popular in the 16 and 1700s) or use Castroti. (1800s) Yes - there were a few post-puberty Counter Tenors, but they were quite rare. Not so much today. Heavy metal music vocalists (male) often sing in the lower-mid soprano range.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In choirs I have been in, the tenors outnumber the basses, usually about 3:2.

Historically that was not the case, but men's voices have been rising over the last century. Prior to 1900, the only dependable source of men being able to sing women's parts (alto, soprano) was either to use small children (popular in the 16 and 1700s) or use Castroti. (1800s) Yes - there were a few post-puberty Counter Tenors, but they were quite rare. Not so much today. Heavy metal music vocalists (male) often sing in the lower-mid soprano range.

My experience lines up with this as well. More tenors than basses.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In our little choir we have 20 or so voices. On a good day (when everyone is there) we have 8 or 9 men, and two of them sing melody (can't read music that well), the others split between tenor and bass.
That's fantastic! Praise the Lord! He must be every bit as delighted as with a huge megachurch choir, maybe more!

Upvote 0

Michael-T

Oct 19, 2017
Central Arkansas
✟8,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's fantastic! Praise the Lord! He must be every bit as delighted as with a huge megachurch choir, maybe more!

Oh they are all a huge blessing to our worship ministry and our local church! These men and women love to worship God and help lead our church in praise to Jesus every week. It is their commitment and their love of Jesus that makes what I do so much fun! Have to include our worship band as well. You put music in front of them and they take off with it and bring so much joy and talent to our worship gatherings!

Upvote 0