JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>When I read that I felt devestated. Is this true?

I think Pat Robertson has a very balanced teaching on this subject that takes the grace of God into consideration. I would suggest reading that. This is a subject I have studied extensively and pray for God to give me understanding on. I have read everything and every opinion I could find to read on it. For me right now, I think Pat Roberson's teaching is the best on the subject. Thanks, JohnR7

http://209.15.80.77/200Questions/article.php?topic=13

Upvote 0
Is it true?
I once read a very harsh and mean site online that said my marriage is not recognized in the eyes of God because my husband was married before. When I read that I felt devestated. Is this true?

Matthew 19:8-9 "He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives but from the beginning it was not so" 9)And I say unto you, Whosover shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery:and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

Unfortuntely Harmony, if your husband's first wife didn't cheat on him and he divorced her and married you, your husband is committing adultery with you. I am sorry, I feel awful that I had to tell you that but the bible says in James 5:19-29 "Brethern, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him, Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

I will pray for you in this matter and again I am very sorry.

Missy

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
Hmmm. I'll give you my, well, my moms story and tell you what I think.

My mom married to my biological father in about 1985. Then he got mean. He beat her on many occassions, and then on one occasion threatened her life. She escaped with her life thankfully, and divorced him around late 1986.

Then my mom met my current Dad in 1990. He was/is my mom's best friend's brother. They married in 1991, and have been happily married sense. :clap: I feel like this family is very blessed. We're very well off finacially, and are a close family too. To be honest, my mom's current husband in all sense is my real dad. I call him dad, and he treats me like his son. I love my dad very much, because he is my dad. My life would of turned out awful, maybe I wouldn't even be alive right now if my mom didn't get a divorce.

In terms of being unfaithful, no my dad didn't cheat on her. (That we know of). But being unfaithful = being unloyal. He wasn't very loyal to her if he beat her and threatened to kill her.

I don't believe that my mom committed adultery. God knows what would of happened if she would of stayed in that marriage, and I think that He gave her the divorce as much as she asked for it.

Currently the family is SUPER happy. We just moved into a really nice house, and my sister is really nice to me lately too. My dad and I go golfin alot, and my mom, my sis, and I, are growing in our Faith. My dad will get there soon, I pray to God.

I just wanted to share this story.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by MissytheButterfly
Unfortuntely Harmony, if your husband's first wife didn't cheat on him and he divorced her and married you, your husband is committing adultery with you.
Yeah, but what if she has cheated on him since? Is he still commiting adulery, or is the old marriage invalid?

Only Mstthew's gospel makes this exception anyway. In Mark's gospel and Luke's gospel there is no exception for adultery.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Dave Ulchers

Yeah, but what if she has cheated on him since? Is he still commiting adulery, or is the old marriage invalid?

Only Mstthew's gospel makes this exception anyway. In Mark's gospel and Luke's gospel there is no exception for adultery.

Whether she has cheated on him since is irrelevant because if he divorced her and married someone else he has already sinned and committed adultery.

So what just because the exception is not recorded in Mark and Luke that makes Matthew invalid ?

Mark 10:11 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them Whosoever shall put his away his wife and marry another committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband and be maried to another, she committeth adultery.
Luke 16:18 Jesus makes a similar statement: " Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband commiteth adultery."

There is an exception in the bible for widows in: 1 Corinthians 7:39 "The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord"

This is just my own opinion but I believe what the bible says and I don't question it if it is in the bible. So I don't mean any insults to anyone else..I just believe what's in the bible.

Missy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
My first wife was cold, materialistic, and downright mean. She put me deep in debt, treated me poorly, hardened my heart, and was a major reason for my stray from God. I divorced her. I don't believe she ever cheated on me.

My second wife and I didn't start our relationship the right way, but as I said, I was not at the time with God. In the past year and a half, we have both come back to God, we are active in our church, are starting a young couples Bible study, and are raising our children in the church. We are happier and more blessed than ever before, and God continues to do amazing things for us daily. Our daughter, who spent most of the first year and a half of her life in and out of the hospital has not been ill since we've come back into God's Grace. I have a hard time truly believing that He doesn't recognize our marriage. We have asked for forgiveness for our sins, and as He promised He has "cast them as far as east is from west". Harmony, if you and your husband are living Godly lives and praising Him for anything that happens in your lives, and you proclaim Him the center of your marriage, then in my opinion, He will not only recognize it, but be in it and bless it. He has mine.

Missy, I can appreciate your faith and your belief in the Bible, but I think God is capable of everything and anything, including forgiving divorce.

Upvote 0
Nick Loves Abba,
Thank you very much for sharing that story.

Dewjunkie,
I understand where you are coming from. With my husbands previous marriage, they were together start to finish for about 6 months. I know his reasons for ending the marriage and one of them is infidelity. My husband is just now becoming curious about God and church and starting his life over. I am very excited. Before we were married, neither of us understood the bible or understood the rules of adultery. The only thing we can do is to ask for forgiveness and pray that God will continue to be a part of our lives. I'm rambling :help:

One more question everyone. When people are married, does it matter how they are married? I mean does it have to be performed by a minister or is a jp ok?

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
Well I did a search and I didn't see any scriptures telling it has to be done by a priest. There might be though, I could;ve missed it.

If, for some reason, one is unable to so by a priest, then I don't know if it would matter. My current parents were married in a court house, and only had about 10 or 12 people present for it. At the time we were unable to pay for a big wedding. My mom wore jeans and a nice shirt and my dad work khakis and a nice shirt. I think as long as both people are their to commit themselves to each other, and are in great love together, it matters not.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Dewjunkie, Thank you for respecting what I said. I think if you feel that God has blessed your marriage well He probably has, and it is not for me to judge your or your marriage. Bless you and your Family.

Harmony, seems you have nothing to worry about since according to Matthew it's okay to divorce for infidelity. Actually in my personal opinion(and that's all it is) you are your husband's TRUE and ONLY wife because his first wife broke the vows of marriage. God Bless you and your marriage.

Upvote 0

BK

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟15,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I remember reading something about if one person in the marriage is a believer and the other is not, you can let the non-believer go if they want to leave and are free to take another as your partner. But if you are the believer you can't leave the lost one, it is your duty to try to convert them. I don't know how it works with two non-saved people though....
Anyone else remember reading this in the Bible, or did I get it from elsewhere?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Yes BK, I remember reading it. Here is the scripture on non-believers and believers 2 Corinthians 6:14 "Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness."

And here is the scripture on being married to a non-believer. 1 Corinthians 7:10-15 10) "And to the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let noth the wife depart from her husband; 11)But and if she depart let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband:and let not the husband put away his wife. 12) But to the rest speak I, not the Lord If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13)And the woman which hath a husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14) For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband:else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15) But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases:but God hath called us to peace."

Bless you, hope that helped.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.