Is it sinful to not immediately let go of your anger and forgive someone?

Sune

Oct 13, 2020
Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I've been musing on this subject as, while I have thankfully never been in such a situation and God willing never will be, I can't imagine many people being able to forgive the rapist or abuser immediately, or their anger over such things. As the bible says not to et he sun go down on one's anger, does that mean that if one is righteously angry for more than one day they are sinning?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've been musing on this subject as, while I have thankfully never been in such a situation and God willing never will be, I can't imagine many people being able to forgive the rapist or abuser immediately, or their anger over such things. As the bible says not to et he sun go down on one's anger, does that mean that if one is righteously angry for more than one day they are sinning?
Good question. Anger is an emotion and spontaneous. You do not have to hold onto anger, that's when it becomes sin. Also, utterly out of control anger is a work of the flesh and needs to be dealt with as sin.

Unforgiveness is spiritually deadly. It cuts off God's blessing, especially if it is towards another believer. It is corrosive to relationships, especially marriage. This article will help those who suffer from unforgiveness: Can you forgive from your heart? - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We ask for forgiveness constantly but yet have a hard time giving it. For me it's a difficult task especially when it's a family member that was taken. I know it's required but in the back of my mind I still see doubt that I've truly forgiven.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People who are able to forgive even grievous sins and injustices understand the teachings of Jesus. They know that hanging onto anger and hate causes harm to them and their relationship with God. They understand that hanging onto something that only increases the loss that they have experienced is foolish. when you are angry at someone you are not hurting them but you are allowing them to continue hurting you.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God controls all things. So you are angry with God but do not understand that yet.

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
does that mean that if one is righteously angry for more than one day they are sinning?

and where in the Bible does it say righteous anger is a sin? Jesus Himself was angry against sin and unbelief, yet He was never sorry about this, because it is true. But, this "righteous anger", must never turn into hate, or resentment

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scientists found anger causes health problems and shortens life span.

7 Ways Anger Is Ruining Your Health | Everyday Health

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. Even the Bible says, "Be angry but do not sin."

It's ok to feel emotions, though one should let them pass through and not take root. God feels emotion, and we are made in His image.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord; I shall repay.

Trust God...He will handle it (though it often seems like He doesn't handle it fast enough for us!).

It is not ok to retaliate in anger to hurt someone. We've all done it, at least in words, but it's not ok. Repent, quit it, forget it.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums